Here new members should introduce themselves to the forum
ALANM

Post by ALANM » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:38 am

G'day all,
My name is Alan McCosker, 71 and retired, giving me time to dabble in telling a few stories from my recollections of a working life since the age of fifteen.Been a couple of places, met a few characters and had a few experiences which I am now trying to put into verse which might not be completely accurate for rhyme and meter but I hope to get there eventually.
Cheers

ALANM

Gary Harding

Re: New member

Post by Gary Harding » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:29 am

Welcome to the ABPA Alan. Nice of you to come along and join the mob and take the time to have a go at putting your thoughts and past events from your life into verse.
You will always get plenty of support and genuine encouragement. Members will read what you write and appreciate it. Perfection in ballad construction is an extremely rare achievement, so I would not worry too much about your technical standard... writing itself is the thing. Just drop some verse in to the Members Poetry section and start having fun!
Last edited by Gary Harding on Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:34 pm

Welcome Alan!

Lovely to have you on board. As Gary says, members of this forum strive for mutual encouragement.

One facet I would really encourage you to participate in is the Writing Workshop. Once a month our member Maureen Clifford posts a series of prompts and challenges us to write a poem inspired by one, more, or all of them. I personally find it an excellent tool for self-improvement and it is also always fascinating to see what others have been inspired to write. Keep an eye out for the next set of prompts which should be coming along shortly.

Hope you have fun here - that’s the aim.

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

ALANM

Post by ALANM » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:19 pm

Thanks Shelley and Gary for your welcome,
I hope my recollections turn into readable verse and may raise a smile here and there.
Cheers
Alan