A Tuneful Stephen Lindsay

Here new members should introduce themselves to the forum
stephenlindsay

A Tuneful Stephen Lindsay

Post by stephenlindsay » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:52 am

Hi, I'm just new here. My name is Stephen Lindsay. I'm 49 years old and now living in Crookwell, NSW after living for years in Sydney. I'm a music composer, but since living in the country I have grown to love Australian Bush Poetry and have decided I want to focus my creativity on setting original bush poetry to original music, recording it all here on our sheep property where I have a small studio set up. I just posted my first piece, "Waterfall Jackson" in the User's Bush Poetry section with a link to a youtube video where you can hear my poem set to my music.

I'm not sure how often Australian Bush Poems get set to original music, but it is something that I am really keen on working up. I have had some wonderful successes with my music, just last year I was at Abbey Road Studios in London having one of my songs recorded by The London Symphony Orchestra with a 72-person choir after being selected from 918 composers worldwide to write an anthem for Abbey Road's 80th birthday celebrations, and I still run a small independent record label from the farm called Oceanic Records, releasing songs onto iTunes etc.

I really like the added emotional depth that music could bring to bush poetry, so I look forward to participating and sharing on the forum from here on in!

Cheers - Steve

mummsie

Re: A Tuneful Stephen Lindsay

Post by mummsie » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:02 pm

Welcome aboard Stephen. I'm sure you'll enjoy the ride. Sounds like your're a busy man. Looking forward to your input on the site.

Cheers
Sue
Last edited by mummsie on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the door is always open, the kettles always on, my shoulders here to cry on, i'll not judge who's right or wrong.

stephenlindsay

Post by stephenlindsay » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:34 pm

Martyboy wrote:
what side of Crookwell are you living on?

Marty
Thanks Marty, we're on top of Wade's Hill just a few kms out of town on the Binda side. We're on the property with the big Telstra mobile tower that you can see from down in town. Nice view from up here, gets a bit blowy though!

Steve

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Thanks Stephen, you have a very interesting story. :) Fir many uears in Sydney, I went to school with a bloke named Richard Singleton. I haven't had contact with him for years but I have since found out that his family came from the Hunter region, so I would say that he is a relative.

I have played timpani in an orchestra, that's why I noticed your instrument :D
Bush poetry with a symphony orchestra backing sounds fantastic..I must get keats onto this. :lol:
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:46 pm

that's why I noticed your instrument

mmmmmm not even gonna go there Neville > :oops: :oops:

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

warooa

Post by warooa » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:29 pm

Goodonya Stephen, great to have you on board . . . I bet you've got more than a story and a half to tell.

Cheers Marty (far northern one)

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue May 01, 2012 9:06 pm

Welcome Stephen. Oh dear. Two Stephens, two Martys, two Maureens, two Bobs. Scary.

Look forward to your input Stephen from Crookwell.

Heather :)

stephenlindsay

Post by stephenlindsay » Wed May 02, 2012 4:36 pm

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, with any luck I will get along to the Laggan Pub tonight for a yarn or two.

Steve

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed May 02, 2012 4:43 pm

Wear your old dungarees you'll fit in well :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Neville Briggs on Wed May 02, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Dennis N O'Brien

Post by Dennis N O'Brien » Wed May 02, 2012 8:18 pm

Yes welcome Stephen, tunes and poetry, a good combination, you might even come up with a hit song.