G'day from Dennis N. O'Brien

Here new members should introduce themselves to the forum
Dennis N O'Brien

G'day from Dennis N. O'Brien

Post by Dennis N O'Brien » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:00 pm

Hello, I started writing poetry about 18 months ago and post on a few blogs where I am something of a curiosity to a few individuals amongst the brazillions of free verse artists inhabiting that particular patch of cyberspace. I’ve even managed to find a few specimens of that rare and endangered species, the rhyming metrical poet, living precariously amongst the largely incomprehensible (well there are exceptions) free verse herds.
I thought however that I should try to broaden my horizons and consequently here I am.
A lot of my poetry, although rhyming, metrical etc. probably does not meet the bush poetry criteria exactly although those criteria do seem to be sensibly flexible, so I’ll give it a go and hope I don’t ruffle any feathers or get put in the dreaded “naughty corner” which I’ve heard so much about.
Looking forward to meeting other poets here and reading their work, and making the odd contribution myself.
As a matter of fact now that I’ve paid my dues and I’m hopefully a fully fledged member I’ll start by shortly posting my poem: “The Unfit Mallee Bull”.
Cheers and hope you like some of my scribblings.

Heather

Re: G'day from Dennis N. O'Brien

Post by Heather » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:09 pm

You'll be fine Dennis - but you're gonna have to tell us what the N. stands for now. Not all of us write what you'd term strictly "bush" but we're all friends here and we even let Bob come and talk to us! (That' when he isn't in the corner! :roll:

Heather :)

Heather

Post by Heather » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:13 pm

come on Dennis. If you don't tell us we'll have to start bets...

Neil!

Dennis N O'Brien

Post by Dennis N O'Brien » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:20 pm

Well it's Noel actually, which is my late Dad's name. There's a reason I started using it - there are at least 2 other Dennis O'Briens in my area and one of them in particular is a frequent contributor of letters to the editor in the local rag and has something of a reputation. As a matter of fact I spend a lot of my time telling people I'm not him, so hence the "N". (luckily his second name isn't Nigel) so there you have it. ;)

Heather

Post by Heather » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:36 pm

Oh Dennis you are a spoil sport. That would have kept Bob guessing for weeks!

I was going to suggest Nigel but that brings back all sort of bad memories for those of us that remember Nigel and the man bag!

Heather :)

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:58 pm

G'day Jim, Welcome.

Like you, when I first joined the ABPA I didn't think my scribblings (yes I used the same term) were 'bush' poetry. Of the hundreds of poems I have written only about five percent are anything to do with the bush. I have also learned that the Bush is a mythical place anyway.
We would like to know which end of Australia you live in and what is (or was) your trade - things like that. Are you a member of a writing or poetry appreciation group? Looking forward to reading some of your work.. Do you or have you entered in competitions either performance or writing? In any case I'm sure you will get something from reading our chatter.

If you are like me and still learning, there are some very good writers (winning lots of competitions) who are only too happy to share their knowledge if you ask nicely. But they always say - it's your poem and there is no 'right' way to write it. There are competition guidelines and formal rules, but only you can decide what you wish to write. The 'rules' only apply if you are entering a competition.
Regardless, come on in the water is fine. We don't bite. (well only a playful little nip)
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:23 am

Don't you worry about them sheila's Dennis I can help you with any questions you may have.

I would not have been concerned about your middle name just Heathers way of snoopin I suspect.

Mate you go ahead and post that poem it sounds like a beauty if the name is anything to go by.

I've watched many of our newer member progress to award winning writers under the guidence of those here on the site ( Not me unfortunately ) so you will be in good hands and the great thing is you can use or loose the advise or suggestions as you please.

Cheers Heading back bush for the day to judge a kids poetry comp and get back into the country people today so will see ya's tonight.

Cheers Bob ( yep Thats Right Me A Judge ) will wonders never cease.

Welcome again Dennis and the cotnor is full at the mement.

Robert A M Pacey Esq Awip
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Dennis N O'Brien

Post by Dennis N O'Brien » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:48 am

Thanks Bob and Zondrae and Bob I'm glad to hear the corner is occupied, presumably there is only one seat.
With regard to your questions Zondrae:
I live with my wife of 35 years, Helen, on 6 acres at Araluen which is really just a suburb of Gympie.
My working career has been varied: farm labourer, regular soldier, construction worker, electronics and computer engineer, beef farmer, dairy farmer and now share trader (would hardly call it work) roughly in that order and with a few other things thrown in along the way.
No I've never entered any poetry competitions and I don't belong to any groups but I do read a lot of all types of poetry and I dare say I'll never stop learning. My attitude to poetry pretty much agrees with yours with regard to "right" poetry - I'll give you an analogy to illustrate:
Our children (now grown up) are all champion Irish dancers and there are rules in Irish dancing otherwise it would just be free for all and impossible to judge, in fact it would just be dance without the "Irish" and eventually it would degenerate to a totally unstructured mess (hang on that's already happened with popular dance hasn't it?). Dancers all have faults and the teacher attempts to minimize these faults. By the same token each accomplished dancer has their own what I would call "characteristic beauty" and this sets them aside from other dancers and is a subjective thing seen differently by different people. Some teachers may attempt to rid a dancer of this characteristic so that all the dancers are more uniform - I disagree with this approach as it suppresses individuality. Sorry for the dancing lesson but I see poetry in much the same way and don't take too pedantic a view of what others with a stricter view may consider "faults" after all no rules of poetry etched in stone have been handed down from on high. Thanks again for the welcome.

Robyn

Post by Robyn » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:18 am

Hi Dennis.
Great analogy... looks like you're going to fit in well! :D :D
Robyn
Robyn Sykes, the Binalong Bard.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:14 pm

Well Heather, there's another name he could have had starting with N....... :roll: :roll:
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.