The lights are on but there's no-one here.

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Neville Briggs

The lights are on but there's no-one here.

Post by Neville Briggs » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:21 pm

Oh there's nothing so lonesome
There's nothing so drear
But to look on the forum
And there's no poets here.

Apologies to Slim Dusty

I'm here of course, but I'm not really a poet just a foozling doryphore, consumed by the onset of Torschlusspanik. :( I could be worse, I could have a bad case of
pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, but I'm not likely to get that unless I venture too close to Iceland. :roll:

The Tamworth poetry is on soon, let's hope some of our bros and sis's are in the lineup of successes.

We should spare a thought for the mob up north.They might have to get aboard the ark with Noah , very soon.

Neville
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Irene

Re: The lights are on but there's no-one here.

Post by Irene » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:27 pm

Hi Neville,
Yes, isn't it sad????
I have days off and time to browse the forum - and nobodys home!!!!!! :cry:

There's nothing so drear
But to look on the forum

There's no new posts for reading,
no banter or cheek,
There's a faraway look
as poor Neville looks bleak.
What goes around, comes around.

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:42 am

well, good morning both of you,

and everyone else who has re-surfaced from Christmas festivities.
Over the weekend I found I couldn't get on to the site. Irene sent me a message (on facebook) along the same lines. Last night I had a message pop up on the screen saying something like "unable to connect due to general error -too much traffic".
So I was aound but unable to communicate. Yesterday I spent printing my latest collection, (mostly old stuff) As I can't reproduce my 3 little books I have picked out the most awarded and make one book to have available, in case anyone wants one, at the three festivals I have booked for the next few months. There are only two new poems in it. Next I intend to start gathering all my 'elbow' poems into one book.

I am half way through a new one for the next competition and I have to write two poems for IBP bfore 18th January.
No plans for New Year'e Eve we always try to ignore it. I might dig out something old to post. Just to keep the forum ticking over. As we have so many newer members, I will post one of my mining poems. catch you all later.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:56 am

G'day you three lonely souls - it's quiet everywhere. Every forum seems the same- other fish to fry at Christmas time.

Our river peaked last night at 8.5 metres. Still lots more water to come down but small fry when you see what the poor souls in other parts of the state are copping and some with no warning and the thing that blew me away was to hear Warwick is also flooded. I have never seen that.

Still as an ex farmer - no matter the hardship that rain will be gratefully received. I reckon our old property would be looking a picture right now.

Cheer up - the New Year is just around the corner untouched. Maybe we can all get through this one with no disasters or any other nasties to ruin it. Here's hoping anyway - there's always rainbows after rain.

Cheers

Maureen
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Wendy Seddon

Post by Wendy Seddon » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:25 am

There's nothing so drear
But to look on the forum

There's no new posts for reading,
no banter or cheek,
There's a faraway look
as poor Neville looks bleak.

Meekly the sun has come out to play
and so we do the same
ready to banter and lose a whole day
to this our rhythmic game.
Wen

Hello, had a great Chrissy and now I am elbow deep in making wedding invitations for my eldest daughter - need at least an other 50 helpers. Any volunteers?
Wen de Rhymewriter There is nothing mundane about the ordinary.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:06 am

Ah good, we seem to have flushed out a few bards from under the shreds of discarded wrapping paper.

How's the weather in the west Irene. All that warmth can be wearing, makes you want to wallow in the water in a weary sort of way.
(I had to get up last night and put a blanket over me. What a wonder :) )

Maureen and her neighbours have plenty of water. It's worriesome. When will it weaken, they wonder ,as they watch the waves whirling wantonly. They try not to whine, they'll be well off later when the water wends its way and withdraws.

Zondrae's got to zoom with zeal to get her poetry work done in time, zero in on the task Zondrae, don't end up with zilch. . Who knows, you might reach the zenith, first place .

Poor old Owly's in a whirl, with the wedding. Wish you well Wen,

What ? :shock:

Neville
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:49 am

I think Neville is bored. Me too, me too! Been popping in but nothin' happening.

Nice, no, absolutely stunning weather here today. Been doing a spot of gardening and my back is now screaming at me. Might sit out in the sun and enjoy a cuppa. Join me?

Heather :)

Leonie

Post by Leonie » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:59 am

Another one has been flushed out, almost literally. :D We ventured out yesterday afternoon and I was amazed at how many people were out sightseeing and taking pictures of the flooded river. The little travelled (and now closed) road nearby saw more traffic yesterday than it has probably seen all year and some of the 4WD enthusiasts should be ashamed of themselves, you wouldn't believe the state of what was once grassy banks.

The river has also broken it's banks across at least one road into the city centre as well, but having said all that, I have seen it higher when we lived right beside it. I never needed to go outside our own boundary to see a river in flood back then, just had to walk out onto our back verandah, so had no idea it could be such a tourist attraction. :o