Gluten free?? (#@**&@#)

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Zondrae

Gluten free?? (#@**&@#)

Post by Zondrae » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:47 pm

Does anyone have a recipe for gluten free cake?

I am about to endeavour (I say this because the meaning of 'endeavour' is much harder than just 'try') to produce a completely gluten free Christmas Dinner. I have some gluten free bread to make crumbs for a Christmas pudding. (and stuffing for the bird.) Must be done today. It will be fine as pudding is allowed to be 'heavy;. But a cake is a different matter altogether. I have Maize flour and rice flour and baking powder. If I simply substitute - do you think it will be OK?
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Wendy Seddon

Re: Gluten free?? (#@**&@#)

Post by Wendy Seddon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:04 pm

Hi Zondrae,

I'm gluten free and someone told me that you can use an ordinary recipe with
whatever gluten free flour but use 2 extra eggs.
'Gluten free' is usually crumbly so needs something to hold it together.

Have a test run before the big day.

Wen
Wen de Rhymewriter There is nothing mundane about the ordinary.

Heather

Post by Heather » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:05 pm

I'll email you a couple Zondrae. My group have just done a recipe book and we included a couple of gluten free recipes.

Heather

Dave Smith

Post by Dave Smith » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:12 pm

Zondrae
You might just be in luck my daughter has a gluten free 18 year old she tells me you can get gluten free cake mix in Coles or most of the time she just searches Google. My Daughters name is Kellie and I have just PM you her mobile number if you get stuck.

TTFN 8-)
I Keep Trying

Dave Smith

Post by Dave Smith » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:18 pm

Zondrae

You could always use Maureen’s cake it might not be gluten free but after eating some they maybe wont care. :twisted:

TTFN 8-)
I Keep Trying

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:46 pm

Thanks so much Heather,

You are an angel. I now am well armed. I have bought a packet (gluten free) Chocolate cake but would like to become familiar with the concept by making some from scratch.
My son is bringing his girl to Christmas lunch and I would like her to feel at home. I wanted a few recipes as I hope she will be around for a long time.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:49 pm

Thanks Dave,

It seems more and more people are becoming Gluten intolerant. Like Asthma, it was almost unheard of when I was a kid but now every fourth or fifth person you meet is effected.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Heather

Post by Heather » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:46 pm

Most welcome Zondrae. I hope they are yummy.

Heather :)

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:51 am

G'day Wendy,

Sorry I missed you yesterday but, I had in mind that, if I get into real trouble I would pm you. Is that OK? I am trying a Christmas pudding today. I will do half in a steamer pot and half in a cloth. Wayne has gone fishing (thank goodness) so he will not be under foot. (and we can have fish for dinner tonight. Love those 'free' meals.) Thanks for your in put.
Do you tolerate rice well? Can I make a stuffing for the boned leg of lamb with rice and my homemade chutney (which is gluten free)? What about a chicken risotto?

Might make the packet cake first though before I try one of Heathers delicious sounding recipes. I don't usually make cakes from scratch. Any suggestions for crumb substitute for fish or meat coating? I have seen some recipes that suggest polenta? have you tried that?

I had better put any further questions in verse, Yes? ..... Ha ha, I made myself laugh...(. Gluten free poetry!)
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:00 am

Go for it Zondrae - Leonie, Coralie and myself already have the half the makings of a Poetic delight cookbook so your gluten free poem would fit right in :lol: :lol: Must put that Christmas cake receipe in there sure I could work it in somehow.

Cheers

Maureen
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.