Virus warning

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Zondrae

Virus warning

Post by Zondrae » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:47 pm

G'day all,

One of my poetry group sent me an advice about a virus that is coming. Don't know where from but he was informed by a reputable source. I know they have friends in the IT field.

If you receive an email, even if it is from someone you know, saying anything about "greetings" or "Hallmark" don't open it - simply delete it, and then go to your deleted messages and delete it again. (my Mac asks 'delete forever?') Apparently what it does is show a nice greeting card picture that slowly fades from the screen, while it is wiping out your harddrive.

Don't know if it is PC specific or also a threat to Macs. As I said to them; the funny thing is most people just bump on emails like that. I would always make myself a written note, delete the warning and them compose a new email to send to my contacts. The perfect way to spread a virus would be in a 'virus warning email'.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

keats

Re: Virus warning

Post by keats » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:21 pm

Hi Zondrae, if you have a Mac then you are safe as there are no known viruses for Mac in the wild. But if you are concerned about passing on a virus to someone with Windozzzze, then get yourself a copy of ClamXav which is a free anti-virus for Mac, made for this purpose and will not interfere with the running of your system. It is free and available from here

http://download.cnet.com/ClamXav/3000-2 ... ag=mncol;1

This will ease any fears you might have. As for Windozzzzze users, well it's a matter of regular anti-virus definition updates and general caution. Thanks for the warning, though, and you really wonder why people dedicate their lives to cyber-vandalism!

Cheers

Neil

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Re: Virus warning

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:16 am

Thanks for that warning Zondrae I actually received an email marked Hallmark Christmas Cards a few days ago which I hadn't opened (earmarked it for later) whether or not it was this one you refer to I don't know because I went straight in and trashed it.

So thanks for the warning

Cheers

Maureen
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.