Just had a thought and I'm dangerous when I'm thinking.

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Just had a thought and I'm dangerous when I'm thinking.

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:58 pm

Will try to explain what I am thinking here as clearly as possible.

Are you listening Manfred because I have no idea of the technicalities of this or even the feasibility.

Couple of points to set the scene.

1. Is their room on this site to set up a 'verandah' for those who have You tube or similar type audio/video clips of their work? I know there are a few of us now who fall into that category and a few who have expressed interest in doing so in the future..

2 If so is that an option that could be offered - reason behind my thinking is that there are people who perhaps because of literacy skills or eyesight problems would perhaps like to be able to HEAR our poetry

3 Would it be possible/feasible/workable that each year those who felt inclined offered up a piece of their favourite poetry or clip for publication for sale as a joint venture promoted by ABPA and any other avenues we have available to us and any funds raised perhaps donated to a charity around Christmas time? Their are so many of us who I am fairly confident would be happy to contribute that we could probably organize a 3 cd set ??? With the option if the demand appeared to be there of maybe doing two a year - thus helping the community out even more. Along the lines perhaps of one being a set charity that could say alter from year to year and the second one being used to support any national disaster such as our bushfire victims. Along the line of those Band Aid Albums Bob Geldohf did years ago - see how much confidence I have in our people.

4 Would/could/should any Government subsidy be available to work/assist with this - along the lines of art grants or some such?

Now as I have already said I don't know about these things. Is it a good idea, a lousy idea?

If nothing else it might be worthy of discussion and I guess in actual fact it is probably two separate issues anyway.

Cheers

Maureen
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Zondrae

Re: Just had a thought and I'm dangerous when I'm thinking.

Post by Zondrae » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:06 pm

Hear, Hear,

(trying to be funny) I do however agree so I'll say it properly.. Here, here.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

william williams

Post by william williams » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:58 pm

Glad to see Maureen that someone is there willing to have a go with some suggestions.

I personaly will supply one of my pieces in Audio that some of you have heard that I have recorded along with one each supplied from other audio performers to make a CD for sale for everybody to purchase along with the CD to be presented to the Australian Insitute for the Blind along with any profit made also going to assist them.

We as Poets are lucky that we can see but owe it to others to hearing the written word so they may within there minds eye enjoy the beauty of Australia if any one is able to help please let me know and I will see what can be done

Thank you Maureen for being able to put into writing what must be done if we are able

I'm yours there to help if you need it. William (Bill) Williams
Last edited by william williams on Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Smith

Post by Dave Smith » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:47 pm

Maureen you have my vote on the whole idea. This would also be a great help to the likes of myself who are only starting to write and have been given permission present other Peoples work, it means you would know how they would like it to sound when you read it.

TTFN 8-)
I Keep Trying

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:23 pm

Goodonya Mauzie ... We are currently looking at some options under the "Poetry" tab of the new web-site do do just that ... :o (Is the ABPA Exec in synch or what) ... :)

Take a look at the "Events" page and rip it to bits ...

Just a heads up, there are a coule of threads regarding the new site, I'll create a new forum in the Veranda and lump them all together so we can see any comments (good, bad or indifferent) and act on them ..

Cheers,

Manfred.

PS. don't forget to 'refresh' your browser and clear all your cash (oops CACHE) ... ;)

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:34 pm

Heather asked me earlier if we could put a button in the forum to take you back to the web-site ... the short answer is NO .. :(

However, what you can do is create a link (button) in your toolbar in the browser, in fact I have several with links to my popular web-sites.

(Usually) bookmark a page (like the main ABPA page AND the main forum page), then click on bookmarks and drag the ABPA link to your toolbar and viola ... muzak!! ... :o)

Cheers,

Manfred.

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:37 pm

evening Manfred,

I was about to suggest the Bookmark. I have logged on then, once I am in the forum I bookmarked the page, I had selected the 'log me on forever' or is it 'always log me on' . so now I simply click on the bookmark and I am in the forum page and logged on.

I have each site I often visit bookmarked in this way. makes it easy to hop from one to the other. The only thing I haven't got in that spot is my email. I wonder why? I'll look at that in a minute.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Irene

Post by Irene » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:29 pm

Great idea Maureen - I'm in favour
What goes around, comes around.

Bellobazza

Post by Bellobazza » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:17 am

Terrific idea Maureen...
I've often thought that an annual anthology of "best of the forum" would be great too. Published under the ABPA banner, with proceeds to go toward grants to assist bush poetry events that might struggle for sponsorship funds and running costs etc.

Don't have any idea how it would work though...selection by most hits; by judging panel; by member votes???...up front costs for printing etc? Maybe by subscription?

A lot more work for the dedicated few who already do so much to make this great site available to us, but it seems a shame that so many fine poems simply recede into the past after posting. All food for thought.

Cheers, Will.
"Each poet that I know (he said)
has something funny in his head..." CJD

Frank Daniel

Post by Frank Daniel » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:20 pm

Maureen's thought is a good one.
I can't wait to see ?? hear ?? what some of you sound like.
I can guarantee William 'Bill' Williams recorded poetry is well worth listening to.
He has done a good job on what he sent me and the voice quality is great too.
All I have to is find out how to record my own poetry.