Just had a thought and I'm dangerous when I'm thinking.

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Heather

Re: Just had a thought and I'm dangerous when I'm thinking.

Post by Heather » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:54 pm

Maureen, ever been told you should run for parliament?

I'm in favour. I had been thinking along the same lines too. I had thought the "book of ABPA poetry" could be used to support and advertise the ABPA in some way. There must be costs for the web site for example.

There may be poems that some don't want published for some reason (not considered their best work or wish to use it in some other way). It could be our way of doing our bit for the ABPA and bush poetry.

Heather :)

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:32 pm

... me too, (find out how to record, that is)

Funny thing my Grandson, Calvin, now 11 by the way, can do it so it can't be that hard.
Mind you he is 11 going on 25.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:42 pm

Aren't they all these days Zondrae? I have friends with an eight year old going on 17. They grow up too quickly.

Heather :(

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:53 pm

Good idea Maureen.
I've heard one of yours and I've heard some of Willum's, sound very good.
As Will pointed out, who's going to choose for any sort of collection or anthology ? hmmm life wasn't meant to be easy. ;)

Heather, Maureen couldn't run for Parliament, to do that one has to be like Middleton's Rouseabout , no opinions, no ideers.

Neville
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:59 pm

So she is exactly the sort we need in Parliament then Neville. But, no, you are right, she is far too clever for that. Are you listening to this Maureen?

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:17 am

Oh yes Heather I am listening - I see there could be problems, but no problem is insurmountable.

My original thought was along the line of seeing

1. If there was interest and support? - so far that looks good.

2. Could it be done? - I would think so as we have members out there who already have published CD's for sale so they would surely be willing to share the how to/where to knowledge, and have an idea of costs involved.

3. Without being too precious about it - suggest maybe 6 varied charities be put forward and a vote taken over a week by a show of hands/computerized - let your fingers do the walking. Because we wont get this up and running in time for Christmas this year. Then if it takes off the charities could be rotated. (and bear in mind we wont be able to please everybody here)

4. I have no idea how many pieces you would fit on a disc but rattling in my head is 79 minutes recording time which may or may not be correct and then people would presumable have to have their donated piece formatted onto an audio/video. - As I said I have no idea how this works in actuality - I merely had the idea

I think the pieces would have to be donated, and be the best we can offer. We have a few well known and already published poets amongst us who if they were willing we could use as headliners - to help sales. and for example if we made say organization A the recipient then request that they too come on board and make note of the project in their newsletters etc etc.

5. If we were able to get this up and running would we all be able to commit to offloading a quota of discs each - not numbered in the hundreds but say for arguments sake ???? 10 - is that feasible
With the number of active members we have I would visualize that would equate to a few sales and depending on the profit margin a few $ to charity. Don't think we will raise millions - we could try.

6. Would we/could we/is there? any grants available to do something like this under a Government Arts scheme .. I will see what I can find out about that. But does anyone perhaps already know or have friends who work for Govt. Depts that would know?

I am sure there would be things over and above all of this that haven't even crossed my tiny mind - but this is a seed. Given water and nourishment, encouragement and determination it will grow and flourish. Big oaks from little acorns grow.

Cheers

Maureen
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:31 am

Maureen, There's heaps of money for arts grants from the Govt..... the application process is a nightmare. I've been there :(
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:46 am

Maureen,

I'll get in touch with the South Coast Writers Centre and ask them about grants. They are pretty clued up on these things. Another thought, the Charities may have some information on grants.
I am operating at a disadvantage just now as I am running in Mac not PC. Although I use 'Word' I am not in a Windows environment. However, all things are possible..you just have to ask the right person.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Heather

Post by Heather » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:55 pm

Before we look at other groups Maureen. Does the ABPA require financial assistance to run the web site? To promote bush poetry etc? Of course funds could be split and a different one each year is a good way of spreading things around.

Heather

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:42 pm

Have to refer this one to Manfred Heather - good thought - Manfred can you clue us up????

Cheers

Maureen
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.