Who is yahoo [bot]?

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Leonie

Who is yahoo [bot]?

Post by Leonie » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:01 pm

I was having a sticky beak through the posts a little while ago and noticed that there were two registered users on line, yours truly and the above mentioned yahoo [bot]. Is that a search engine and if so why does it come up as being a registered member? Just curious. :?:

Darren

Re: Who is yahoo [bot]?

Post by Darren » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:41 pm

Hi Leonie,

The Yahoo Bot (and the Google Bot) are programs that trawl through websites to generate information for search engines. When you go to Yahoo or Google to do a search that is how they know what information is located where. These are good things to have on the site because if "Bush Poetry" is typed in as a search, this site will be there. The Bots actually take it further than that so if you search a name that is here or a poem title the link to here should also appear.

So no need to worry about Bots, they are just cheaper to employ than "sub continent workers" and they can understand English better!

Darren

warooa

Post by warooa » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:50 am

There you go, MartyBoy . . . no need to worry about the lingering grog bot.

Leonie

Post by Leonie » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:23 am

Thanks for the explanation Darren. I figured it was some sort of search engine because I've seen similar things on other forums. It made me curious because although it says here that guests are welcome to browse the topics, actually they aren't, because you can't get any further than the first page without registering. Obviously yahoo and google have special privileges. ;) :lol: