... bastard from the bush ...

Looking for a poem and can't find it? Post what you know and someone may be able to help.
All registered Forum users can post here.
manfredvijars

... bastard from the bush ...

Post by manfredvijars » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:22 am

Does anyone know the above piece ???

Peely

Re: ... bastard from the bush ...

Post by Peely » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:09 pm

G'day Manfred

I have a version on my computer. The language in it is fairly strong, I will PM you a copy. I also have a book that has the same basic poem written in much cleaner language (it is not too different to the 'Captain of the Push' by Lawson). The original version is believed to have been written by Henry Lawson. The story goes that "The Bastard..." was written first and Lawson cleaned it up for publication as "The Captain of the Push".

Regards

John Peel
John Peel - The Man from Gilmore Creek

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:26 pm

Peely, you're a Champion ...
Some quarters suggest Paterson was the author (maybe Frank could help)

Thanks Mate ... :)

Dave Smith

Post by Dave Smith » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:18 pm

Manfred
I have the same version that Peely has and the same story about the Captain of the Push.
The Bustard from the Bush is not something you would want to do on stage to a general audience.
(I read it a bit in secret) shh

Dave.
I Keep Trying

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:34 pm

If it's that juicy one of you guys better send me a copy ?

like a bit of spice

cheers Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Peely

Post by Peely » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:42 pm

G'day Bob

I have forwarded you a copy via a PM.

Regards

John Peel
John Peel - The Man from Gilmore Creek

Frank Daniel

Post by Frank Daniel » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:02 pm

Subject: The Bastard from the Bush

Firstly I would like to explain a few things that I have known and believe to be Gospel, about Henry Lawson.
My information comes from a couple of what I call very reliable sources; people who have researched Henry over the years. No need for names I suppose, but one I should mention is the late Leonard Teale. Leonard Teale portrayed Henry Lawson in a travelling show many years ago which was called "The Bastard from the Bush".
The poem in question was attributed to Lawson by Mr. Teale. I have it on good authority that Leonard Teale would not have used the poem in his show if he had not believed it to be a true Lawson poem.
It is no secret that Henry Lawson frequented many a bar in his day. He was no shrinking violet, he mixed with the boozers and layabouts, the run of the mill working class drinkers. I believe also that mixing with this type of 'push' he would not have been embarrassed by or even frightened to use bad language. You'll see what I mean later.
I don't want to cause any arguments with any-body over this matter, nor enter into any, as a lot of people would probably not approve. I want to point out that I am only repeating what has been handed down to me as general folk-lore, and though the stories may stretch a little at times, there is no doubt that the poem was Henrys'.
I have read a lot about Lawson, not made too great a study of him, but have found that many writers and experts on the man have left out a lot of his low-life activities. (If that's the correct way of putting it.) I personally don't care a bugger what they say or what they write, or leave out, I just enjoy Henrys work as it stands.
You may not know, but Herny Lawson was supposed to have written a lot of jingles for advertisements and so on. I don't know any more about this. But I have been told that he used to write a lot of ‘dirty’ ditties on command at five shillings each (50 cents) to raise drinking money. Who knows?
I've heard and read this too many times now for it not to be somewhere near the truth.
The 'clean' version of 'The Bastard From the Bush' can be found on page 194 in 'A Campfire Yarn', Lawson's complete works 1885-1900. It is called the "Captain of the Push". Take the time to read it.
Another bawdy poem in a similar vein is "The Shearer's Lament".
My informants tell me that these poems were written probably as five-bob poems and when Lawson realised their worth as published versions he cleaned them up. (Or was it when he sobered up).
Another bloke named Robin Ramsay toured Australia, Europe and Britain with his show ‘The Bastard from the Bush’ gaining rave reviews.
A Bush Band called Currency Exchange also recorded the same version some ten or fifteen years ago.
Another reliable colleague of mine, well read in these matters tells me what I have said is true. He read an anthology of Australian Verse by Douglas Stewart who mentioned the dirty ditties in his book.
The Bastard from the Bush was also attributed to Henry Lawson in a quote by G Seal in ‘The Hidden Culture 1989”.
I had this poem recited to me over the phone by a friend who has known it for over thirty years. I taped the phone call, typed it out from the replay.
Catch y' later,
Joe.

Bibliography: The Macquarie Dictionary of Australian Quotations. The Macquarie Library Pty Ltd © Macquarie Library Pty Ltd 1990 © MacquarieNet 2002 (Online edtition)

Joe

Frank Daniel

Post by Frank Daniel » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:27 pm

In the early 1980s Robin Ramsay was commissioned to create a new solo show celebrating the life and times of Rabindranath Tagore, India's Nobel Prize winning poet: titled Borderland. The invitation came from the Indian High Commission in Canberra. The play was performed in Australia, then toured to more than 60 countries in tandem with 'The Bastard From The Bush'. The tour was sponsored by the Australian Government through its Cultural Relations Department, the British Council and the Indian Government, as well as Australian High Commissions and Australian Embassies abroad.

Joe

Frank Daniel

Post by Frank Daniel » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:34 pm

From Warren Fahey's web page we find:

THE BASTARD FROM THE BUSH AND THE CAPTAIN OF THE PUSH
Henry Lawson composed the Captain of the Push based on stories about the Sydney larrikins who used the historic Rocks area as their base. Essentially these were street ruffian gangs who dressed in a particular larrikin style and wielded slingshots and menacing language. The Push was the colloquial name for the gangs of this area. There is some thought that the bawdy parody was also written by Lawson and it certainly contains his particular flavour. The bawdy version ends with one of Australia's classic insults and curses –
if you want the rest go to http://warrenfahey.com/Sydney-Folklore/ ... on-18.html

Joe

warooa

Post by warooa » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:51 am

Great stuff Frank . . . nothing sanitised for our consumption there . . but would Henry rhyme 'rules' with 'girls'? Maybe they sound more the same vowel sound when ya full of liquor? Love the old slang . . especially "my kerlonial oath".

Cheers, Marty