The Spoken Word in Bush Poetry

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Gary Harding

Re: The Spoken Word in Bush Poetry

Post by Gary Harding » Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:01 pm

Thank you for those encouraging words of appreciation Catherine and your constant support and Faith that I can say never wavers!!
Literature and music are my favourites and those interests probably converge with your top interests too.

Australia's culture and national identity is of course a mosaic of all sorts of subjects.
Australian Sport is one area that we explore. A major section of this is swimming where Australia has always excelled.

AN INTERESTING STORY (a small part of a far bigger one..)

An auctioneer friend of mine rang me and alerted me to his upcoming sale of a large part of the memorabilia of Fred Lane who was Australia's first swimming Olympic Gold Medalist (1900, Paris). At first I did not grasp the significance of this but then it dawned on me. So I told him that I wanted around five specific items and that if he was in agreement, I would give him around $3,000 to gather (at his discretion) a representative sample from the rest of the estate collection he was auctioning. Competition for memorabilia such as this can be fierce .. so you have to go in very hard in order to succeed. (No room for garage sale mentality here... you just go for it..)

Then upon receipt, I had some of Fred's photos professionally restored and framed. Much material has yet to be dealt with.
An initial start to making his display has been completed and is spectacular. It will eventually be interactive with a supporting audio-visual component.

I mentioned Fred in previous posts : "However, as a quality trade-printer of that time who mixed in artistic circles in Sydney, doubtless Fred would have had connections to A. B. Paterson and Henry Lawson. A true Australian."

One item I have is the letter to Fred dated 1969 from the Swimming Hall Of Fame, Inc in Ft. Laurderdale in Florida. Within this historically significant letter, Fred is notified that he is to be a 1969 Hall Of Fame Honoree (sic).

The list of office bearers for this Swimming Hall Of Fame reveals two interesting people :

1. An Honorary (joint) Chairman of the Board : Mr. Johnny Weissmuller.

This name might be familiar as being Tarzan in the movies.. (12 feature films) and TV's Jungle Jim. He was also a great US Olympic champion swimmer and water polo player. His life story is quite moving.

2. Chairman of the Board : Mr James (Jim) Counsilman.

I have a personal connection to Jim.
Jim was a pilot in WW2 and subsequently an outstanding US swimming coach. His Indiana University Team were well recognised. He was the coach of the famous Chet Jastremski, the world's first great breaststroke swimmer who went on to become a doctor. (I have a personally inscribed card from Chet). Jim was a friend of my swimming coach Harry Gallagher who was also Dawn Fraser's coach.... and Dawn timed me once for a 50m sprint. She was still a world record holder at that time.

Jim's Indiana Uni team wore a special set of bathers that were a custom-red with white sides and had a trident side-emblem embroidered. He gave a pair of these prestigious bathers to Harry to gift to one of his swimmers. I was the hugely honoured recipient and I saved them for races, not training. The brand of these US bathers was Adolph Kiefer, who was an Olympic US backstroke swimmer and also an inductee into the Hall Of Fame. Adolph's accomplishments in swimming would take up a full page.

As I have said in the previous post, it is best that if possible, one has been there and done it and can "understand" before talking about it. Thus swimming is a subject I think that we can confidently present.

Pictures

1. The letter to Fred Lane

2. Fred photos

3. The uncompleted framed presentation that records my own association with swimming through the story of my red bathers.. and Harry Gallagher, Jim Counsilman, Chet Jastremski and Adolf Kiefer. Being associated with such true sporting "greats" does not mean one is up there with them in any way, but that you had the privilege to at least be a part of the golden years of swimming... and understand the hard training and dedication required for anyone to become champions in their field. Gary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:23 pm

A few things are bush-related.... Bush Poetry, bush music, and Bushwalking.

I was first exposed to Bushwalking when I was studying at Monash Uni. where I went on trips with the Monash Bushwalking Club.

The club activities also included rockclimbing (Arapiles was the most popular) something I could never come at, and also canoeing. I went on some canoe trips with Geoff Cope. These were Canadian canoes, not sea-kayaks. It was very like the film Deliverance, including minor rapids... beautiful scenery.. but without the hillbillies.

I especially enjoyed Wilsons Promontory (typical Sealers Cove, Refuge Cove, Waterloo and back to car-park) and became quite familiar with it. No mobile phones then. Once you put your pack on and headed off..that was that.

There were no regulations to speak of, still primitive, so a good time was always had. I really took to it.

One trip was with a mate who was a rover scout and he taught me some scout songs around the fire at night and along the track too.

There was campfire singing, yarns... and group-singing in the back of furniture vans - on the occasions when these took us to and from start points. You became familiar with the songs, and had a club songbook to brush up on them too. There might have been poems recited, but I do not recall any. Everyone at night took a turn at doing something around the fire. Great fun.

Here are photos of a group of about 30 fellow students !! who I took to Wilsons Prom on a four day excursion. It was my first time as a Trip Leader. You would get asked stuff like "where can I pitch my tent? " etc... so you just did not hesitate, looked knowledgeable and said "pitch it over there is a good spot" and away they went happily. How would I know where a good spot was? You just had to hope that no tree branch would fall on them.. which luckily it never did.

In one photo I can be seen with a sheath-knife on my hip. No idea why I did that, I hardly used it, except maybe it was some sign of authority. In retrospect, it was all a bit crazy, but youth is surely a time for doing crazy things?....but it was survived. Wonderful memories that I cherish.

That way, one gained a feel for the Bush... in all its moods... and for me it was always a friend, even if the leeches weren't.. Soaked it up, listened to it, touched and felt it. Then years later you could write about it with some experience having been there.

1. Group photo.. I am at the back standing fourth along

2. Time for a rest... standing at left.

3. Crossing the sand-saddle to go inland at Oberon Bay. (I think..)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:01 am

Yesterday my neighbour over the road asked me whether I wanted some more pianola rolls for the Cultural Centre, to which I naturally replied "You bet!"
He was emptying his other house in Gladstone and these were to be disposed of.

There were 55 rolls in all, most with highly forgettable titles (if any titles at all on the boxes) from the 1940's-1950's .. but Bye Bye Blackbird stood out as being of some future use maybe. :) Total rolls in the library must now be close to 600.

The boxes were pretty tatty and one day I will arrange for new boxes to be made for all these rolls. Each will have its own new Cultural Centre label that dignifies it... but that is way in the future.

I think of these rolls as being akin to bush poetry books.. with their treasures locked within them.

Some people can be kind and generous. It is actually very touching.

Every little bit helps .... and one day, instead of people donating valuable heritage items to government establishments because there is just no alternative... at The Australian Cultural Centre we will be that appreciative alternative. :) These kind donors will each be publicly recognised.

WE care.. hugely and genuinely.

Cheers, Gary :)
Last edited by Gary Harding on Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:42 pm

This book Down The Years was written by Mrs. C. J. Dennis and tells the story of some of the life of her husband , C J Dennis (1876 - 1938) the great balladist.

Her maiden name was Olive Herron, and she published under the pen-name of Margaret Herron.

In my copy (see pic below) which is a 1953 first edition, I was fortunate to find (as one sometimes does) a piece clipped from The Herald newspaper dated 19-10-1968 entitled Mrs Olive Dennis dies at 84. Den of course wrote for The Herald.

For those readers who love their Dennis which is likely to be most, this clipping will hold some interest.

It is also reproduced below and to get the full story, click on the picture.

The dedication at the front of the book reads :

To "Den" and those good friends that are with him.

Our section on Dennis at The Australian Cultural Centre will be comprehensive, unique and most entertaining too.

Just the way Den would have liked it to be, I think.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:19 am

It is that time of year again where Australia's literary brilliance is recognised and rewarded in The Prime Minister's Literary Awards by handing over large amounts of public money.
This year the esteemed Poetry Award ($80,000 tax free) was wisely bestowed on young Gavin Yuan Gao.

"From the 2020 winner of the Thomas Shapcott Award comes a sophisticated, impressive, and rich collection of poetry that unpacks the complexity of family, grief, and cross-cultural and queer identity. A scintillating and exhilarating collection from an accomplished and distinctive new voice.
Born in Beijing, Gavin Yuan Gao is a genderqueer, bilingual immigrant poet who grew up in Beijing and Brisbane. They live in Brisbane and At the Altar of Touch is their first book."

The judges incongruous use of the terms "they" and "their" to describe an individual person was peculiar.... almost queer, one might say?

Feeling a desperate need to supplement my very limited education, I immediately rushed to Google to find out what on earth genderqueer was.!

"The term is used to describe an individual or a group who refuses to subscribe to a traditional gender identity and feels that his/her gender does not fit within the social gender binary (male & female). Genderqueer is also known as non-binary or gender-expansive.
Someone who is genderqueer can identify as both male and female or will not identify with having any gender.

Instead of ‘he’ or ‘she’, a genderqueer person can be referenced as ‘ze’."

OK.. enlightening and fascinating education lesson over. :)
.. back to Ze Gavin Gao and his "scintillating" poetry. Here is a sample..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hshemp2ZnAQ

Self-Portrait as the Last Wounded Stag (Extract)

I’m walking into the quickening blizzard

as if into a hunter’s dream—

the flint arrow through my chest keener

than earthly desire. Wherever I went

teeth followed me, relentless as the shadow

of the doe-eyed boy I thought

I couldn’t live without. Long ago, love

made all gestures of flowering

possible on earth. Now I’m tired of living

on the peripheries where the witch-hazels thicken

as inkblots & the light over the hill grows

more distant each year. Father, far

& reticent as you are, let me not be a memory

of blood & musk salting a wolf’s breath.

Let me be antlers. Let me be lightning

branching jagged into sky. Let me be sky—

Wow! Poetry has certainly advanced a long way in 150 years. Forget the literary amateurism of primitives such as Lawson (whom one learned Judge in the Vic. Premier's Literary Awards publicly labelled a drunkard), Paterson and Dennis. Now we have Aussie Ze Gao!

Could one dare to think that this is merely a political sop to the massive and very rapidly increasing Chinese ethnic vote in Australia? Perish the thought! Another nod and a wink to Beijing in Canberra's continuing effort to bow down to and please them, as if selling strategic Darwin Port to them was insufficient? That the Federal Government has an "arts" policy of individually gathering up the votes of minorities to form a power base... and in the process obliterate any National Identity that Australia might have left? Never! This is today's great Australian literature mate!

$80,000 tax free.. for that profound poetic brilliance? Why, it is deserving of $800,000 at least. I mean what is money when it is not your own to give away.
What we at the Australian Cultural Centre Project could not do with $80,000 for the benefit of ALL Australians!! It would not gleefully disappear into our personal pockets but instead be used to further promote true Australian Culture (definitely excluding the profound work of such "poets" as Ze Gao) and continue to enshrine a National Identity for all to love...forever.

.. but then I contradict myself. We would never stoop to accept even a cup of coffee let alone money from such treacherous people in office and their lackeys who destroy this country, including its excellent Balladry. We are above them, and never ever servile.

Personally, when I read this "poetry", it inspires me to quote from Lewis Carroll, Alice In Wonderland..

“Contrariwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.”

and

“We're all mad here.” - Cheshire Cat

Yes.... all mad here.. and happily so.. in the esteemed government halls of Australian "Poetry". :) Madness I suggest is a prerequisite to be a part of this queer, unfettered poetic world of free verse :)

In the words of one WW2 Digger when he looked around at Australia today...

"I don't know why we bothered really".

Genderqueer indeed! "Exhilarating and sophisticated poetry"? .. YOU be the judge of that. haha oo-lala :)

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:18 am

We are constantly acquiring items for The Australian Cultural Centre Project.

I might share this recent acquisition with readers because I know that all Bush Poets have an interest in Australia's early days ... with excellent writings on such typical subjects as Cobb and Co, Halfway Pubs, Convicts etc.

A lovely acquisition for the Centre is this beautiful framed "Models of Five Ships of the First Fleet to Australia (1787)."

HMS Sirius shown (centre of models) was the flagship of the fleet. Captain Arthur Phillip appointed Commodore.

We find that History and Culture commonly overlap and for Visitors, especially those from overseas, who particularly would like to know a bit about early Australia, we are producing a concise and dynamic section dedicated to that story. Great fun! It will be free of the evil re-writes, agenda-based and self-serving interpretations, corruption, distortions and biases that without exception are embraced by every government-based institution in Australia today. In other words, you will be able to bring your kids and grand-kids without fear of having their minds messed with and filled with political rubbish or other irrelevant "issue-based" junk..

This lovely attention-getting set of models in their shadowbox look fabulous under soft spotlighting.

They almost appear as if they are wanting to go to sea right now!

On show will be the matching framed tribute to HMS Endeavour (Captain James Cook RN FRS) which also has the vessel itself featured in model form. We love Captain Cook. (see picture below)

This magnificent Cultural Centre is certainly a rare opportunity to leave a tangible and enduring Legacy. To proudly say "THIS is what I have done for my country! And THIS is what my wealth has produced!"

Being sincerely loved by grateful Australians, today and forever, is both a unique honour and something to be jumped at by someone... (one might think?)

In 2024, it is up to us to continue to try and "sell" ourselves and The Project adequately and to find that special person who shares this patriotic Vision. Someone who sees the wonderful things that are possible. That is a challenge for us. I am beginning to doubt that such a noble and truly heroic, fearless person even exists in Australia which is a bit sad. This is absolutely Australia's one and only hope to preserve its Culture and National Identity, both of which we believe are being rapidly destroyed. That is a huge responsibility for two people... and is no place for hand-sitters.

Should we find such a Patriotic Partner who says "Let's get this done" then among other tasks, we will assemble display production-teams as a priority, under our supervision. Then things will really start to happen. Fingers crossed for that! :)

There is a huge Literary section featuring the work of around thirty-six talented bush balladists.

When (and IF) we open, you will be able to see all the fabulous exhibits that together will leave you with a sense of Pride in your own country - Australia. You will say "I did not realise Australia has achieved so much in its relatively short life."

Let us see what 2024 brings for all of us at the ABPA.

Have a Merry Christmas!..... Gary xx

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:07 am

One of the fairly major sections that we will enjoy presenting at The Australian Cultural Centre is the Australian Scouting and Girl Guide Movement.
When I mention this fact to visitors at the sample display set out downstairs, some get very animated.

"I was in the Scouts!", they often exclaim. Instantly they associate... and what is shown has a direct relevance to them personally, as well as a sentimental appeal. Very important.

We reckon that Scouts is extremely "cultural", having had a big influence in the lives of many young people. Cultural is a term that we have the right to define ourselves, and therefore can include whatever we choose.

It will be a very interactive area with several things to do. Even a tent for kids to crawl into. Fun! It might seem simple but it will be the first time many kids would have ever been in a real tent.

Pictured below is our 1931 Lord Baden-Powell Australian Visit Boy Scout Commemorative Medal & Ribbon. A nice piece of historical memorabilia. As can be seen, the medal features an image of Lord Baden-Powell, the founder of the Boy Scouts. The blue and white ribbon is in near original condition. It commemorates and celebrates the wonderful visit of Lord Baden-Powell. This Visit has been featured with some photos etc.

I will greatly expand on this Scouting Exhibit in the next couple of posts and show a few items from our ever-expanding Collection in this popular field... especially including Cubs. Be Prepared.

I have no way of knowing how many Readers were in this Movement?? but likely a few. Innovative ideas, contributions of any sort, and feedback are all welcomed. :)

I hope these posts are enjoyable and informative?

If you know of any millionaire/billionaires who are genuine patriots and love their country with a genuine passion.. (perhaps feel they owe it something enduring in return?)... don't forget to mention us to them, please ! :) Gary

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:34 am

Here is yet more real and popular Australian Culture for fellow ABPA Members to enjoy. It is quite poetic in a way, with its clever rhymes..

Radio and TV ads. (see picture below).

These will find their place in the Australian Cultural Centre.. as they should. You will be able to selectively sample this creative musical genius.. even if not all originated in Australia.

One might remember those advertising jingles on TV, many of them pushed at you before the more enlightened days of remote controls with their wonderful MUTE button.

We're Happy Little Vegemites
Louie The Fly
Snap Crackle Pop
You'll Wonder Where the Yellow Went (Pepsident)
B&D Roller Doors.
Brylcream - "A Little Dab'll Do Ya"

.. and around 160 others on this LP set (see below)

And ... an ode to toilet paper (Sorbent)! "What's the Gentlest Tissue.." etc. I mean.. really!

The darn catchy things kept going around inside your head when you were trying to concentrate on other things.
I am reluctant to play this beautiful double album (LP) shown below lest its intellectual refrains again nest in my brain and I will find them hard to remove.

Speaking of culture...I see "Jaffas - Rolling down the Aisle" is there. Jaffas were a hard round sweet that if you sucked them long enough you got to the chocolate centre. However if you got impatient and chose to foolishly and prematurely bite on them instead... it could mean a trip to the dentist. Clearly they were immensely popular with dentists to whom many owed their fortune. (along with the infamous filling-remover.. Minties)

Who has been in a picture theatre when some anonymous wit has rolled a jaffa sweet down the aisle stairs, holding the audience spellbound as it audibly bounces and echoes on its way from stair to stair to the bottom? Probably nobody here.... ? Ah,well.

Yes Australian Culture is extensive and profound ! cheers, Gary

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:10 am

Part 1

The Boy Scouts and Girl Guides Movement has long been popular in Australia having contributed much to developing practical skills and helping to foster solid values in young people. Attitudes, and discipline too. Thus it is very Cultural, and with much focus on outdoor activities and bushcraft.

Who has had the privilege of being a Scout/Cub or Girl Guide/Brownie??

Likely it has contributed significantly to one's practical abilities ... and these are retained throughout life.

The Centre's dynamic presentation of this subject is intended to be entertaining and informative. In this undertaking, we are grateful for the material support and guidance offered to us by our friends at :

1. The Scout Association of Australia, Queensland Branch (Heritage Team) and
2. The Scout Heritage Centre, Mackie Road, Victoria.

We have a massive amount of scouting material!

The display will include hands-on activities such as tying scout knots, building a campfire and even provide the experience of being in a real scout tent.

DOB! DOB! DOB! (Do Our Best!).. absolutely! It is not just "showing stuff" (we are never a museum) but we want youngsters to leave this display pestering their parent to join!! Thus it must be FUN and enticing.

Among the many aspects presented... there are classic Scout Songbooks going back to the 1940’s (I am very interested in songbooks in general), a rare 1949 book detailing special Ceremonies (love this), Handbooks for Cubs and Scouts as well as books on Activities and Games. A number of skill-badges and impressive uniforms too. What young person does not like to proudly wear a nice uniform?

Visitors to the Centre will be able to hear a selection of historic and very moving recordings of Lord Baden-Powell’s addresses. Hear him speak from the heart and you will want to sign up straight away ... :)

To quote from The Scout Law 1945: “A Scout smiles and whistles under all difficulties".... and simply “gets on with the job”. Stoicism. Loyalty.

How true!

Do a good turn for someone every day. Why not! :)
Last edited by Gary Harding on Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:13 am

OK.... now for Part 2 :)

Having the pleasurable task of presenting Scouting is a bit of a personal indulgence as I have a sentimental connection with this Movement.
My sister was a Brownie (see her pic) or Junior Girl Guide, and I was a member of the 3rd Oakleigh Scout Troop, in Victoria.

Not much exists from those days but I still have my badges (see pic) and a photo of me "crossing over" from Cubs to Scouts at a ceremony in Gilwell Park.
Only a few of the large pack attended that day.

Akela stands in the background and in the photo I have my back to the camera. I have the three stripes of a Senior Sixer on my arm. I was the Cub Pack's first ever Senior Sixer, which was a great honour. (A Sixer has two stripes and a Seconder one stripe)

I must have done something right as an earnest and disciplined young kid... (things have probably deteriorated since then. Ha!)

It was a separate and dedicated Life in itself. Perhaps it still is?? Loyalty and respect were taught.

Those who have been there (and it is important to have "been there" if possible when doing the sort of cultural work that we are) will understand what I mean.

School taught you the three R's (Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic) rigorously and properly, and to have an enormous pride in your own Country ... well, at least it did in those good days... and Scouts/Cubs gave you a different set of vital life skills.

So this will be a fabulous and participatory exhibition within the Australian Cultural Centre.

Australia is a truly remarkable country... and we are sort of sailing in the wake of Captain Cook and discovering it all over again in a different (but certainly not less adventurous) way. :)