The Spoken Word in Bush Poetry

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Gary Harding

Re: The Spoken Word in Bush Poetry

Post by Gary Harding » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:24 pm

In 1942, Mary Gilmore was enraged about the fall of Singapore and she wrote a rhyming poem entitled "Singapore" in which she really expressed her anger.

"Singapore" appeared in the Australian Women's Weekly of 14th March, 1942.

She also wrote the poem No Foe Shall Gather Our Harvest during the war, which was extremely well received, naturally! (appeared in Women's Weekly, Sat 29th June, 1940)

(With hindsight, it is a pity that she did not title her poem No Foe Shall Own Our Harvest .. however...)

I am hoping that perhaps Maureen might kindly help me by visiting Trove and extracting both of these AWW poems and posting them please? My cut and paste from Trove is not too flash...and this one is tricky.

I have a large collection of AWW's from both the 1930's and 1940's and have pictured a sample of 12 of them, from the 1940's part.. to start off.

The cultural aspect is great, but it was the artwork on the covers that really attracted me to them.

Aren't they beautiful!?

Some of the front covers that I have are by renowned artists such as George Sprod (also a poet, who was captured at Singapore and like Mary Gilmore, he was no doubt also angry but in a more directly affected way), Weg... and even one cover by John Allcot of the HMAS Australia in action!

The Australian Women's Weekly content is a snapshot of the times; happy times mostly... and reflect the fabulous and unsophisticated mono-culture of Australia then. Rhyming poetry was occasionally featured... along with fashion, recipes, short stories, social rounds and current events.

We have part-completed a formal exhibit of The Women's Weekly Story which is comprehensive, informative and colourful.

I try and post content in a way that does not lecture etc... preferring to put a fun light on it all (if I can). :)

Again thanks to all my good friends who are steadfast and supportive through all this exercise; one that aims to put Bush Poetry at the centre of the Australian Cultural Universe .

I would also express my sincere appreciation to those friends who are so very complimentary about things I purchase (thanks!) so that spending money is reinforced, and I feel.. happy! And who forgive my little idiosyncrasies or transgressions too. True Aussies all...

You are sincerely LOVED!! Thank you. Gary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gary Harding on Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:08 pm

This time... pictured is a sample of some of the Collection's Women's Weeklies from the 1930's. Between them, there are hundreds of interesting articles that even after 90 years are really good reading.

I picked up an issue at random and found an article about Amelia Earhart .... with a philosophical bush poem penned by her...

"Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace.
The soul that knows it not, knows no release" ... etc

Most issues in the attached photo are 1939 and in that year a lot of covers (shown) were painted by the American visitor Carl Shreve. His subjects were largely women (being the Women's Weekly I guess).

Initially I gazed at them and asked myself.. what is it about these paintings??? Glamour? No. Then it dawned on me that they all possessed incredible "natural beauty, style, elegance.. and simple charm". Even in real life today, a rare combination in one person I think??? But.. captured so well in a painting!?? Wow. Artistic talent.

For me, they seemed to almost come alive! These sorts of things bend your mind in all new directions of appreciation... art??! .. gee, I don't know... a bit much at times. haha

Each year on Melbourne Cup Day a special race-day cover painting was done and I have a few of those issues to enhance our Melb. Cup exhibit.. but that's another story.

For a country of 7 million in 1939, sales at 4 pence per issue were 400,000 per week. Pretty impressive.

(from July 1937 issue) Mrs. Catherine Brady who is just 100 years old, says that "..joking is not what it used to be. Modern jokes are in bad taste, and often even vulgar and immoral". She says despite all the lengths they go to, they are not so funny as the jokes of her youth.

So there... Australian humour (one of our subjects) is not as good as it used to be in the mid 1800's.. Fair enough. Perhaps bushrangers were really a bunch of jolly comedians in disguise? “fooled you...this is not a real gun” etc :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:44 pm

The Nellie Stewart display is enlarging.

Not only does she have a direct connection with Henry Lawson through her inscribed book (1910 edition of In The Days When The World Was Wide and Other Verses) but her contribution to music and Australian theatre was enormous. (see earlier post). Bush poetry reaches into every aspect of life.

For those interested in Nellie, here is the article that we produced for the latest edition of Beacon Magazine. Issue 12 with the football player on the front. Page 34

https://thebeacon.com.au/magazine-publications/

I think it makes interesting reading...

Against objections, I included in the article the bit about Federici (Nell's co-star) singing his last note on opening night at the end of his aria as he died descending dramatically into the stage. Not funny I suppose. Even today the occasional report appears in the papers about his ghost being sighted at the Princess Theatre.

My ambivalent attitude to high-tech or just plain tech is being eroded and I am being dragged kicking and screaming into the real world. As long as there is instant backup for everything, no multi-thousand dollar globes or projectors to go bust, and no dependence on proprietary software, special technicians or stuff that is redundant tomorrow (I am a "go to Bunnings" person) then I will have to go with the flow I suppose.

By taking a dynamic, creative and “can do” approach, the Centre will offer every visitor their choice of experience. Thrilling and memorable for those inclined to excitement.... informative and nostalgic for others ... or a combination of all. A visit to the proposed Banjo Paterson Cultural Centre will never be dull!

Picture is of The Orange Girl Waltz.... named in honour of Sweet Nell (Stewart).

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:22 pm

Wow, Gary - I didn't know Amelia Earhart wrote poetry! I can see I'll have to do some googling ...

Interesting to see the Orange Girl Waltz references Nellie Stewart's role in "Sweet Nell of Old Drury" which would of course be the original orange girl, Nell Gwyn (mistress of King Charles I of England).
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:41 pm

Thanks Shelley,

We have just developed a beautifully framed portrait of Nellie Stewart. Surrounding curtains are being made to feature it. Will post a photo when complete.

It is a big mind-shift and leap up the scale from being a Collector to an Exhibitor. For example, an expensive handwritten poem by C J Dennis is just not our thing now. Will have to pass it up.

For a collector it certainly has great bragging rights (or a library will happily lock it away from everyone in the name of preserving it) but are the Public interested or do they want to see mannequins of The Bloke, or John Derum's AM in replica, etc?? What means more to them?

We find ourselves working unselfishly for a client who is not a devotee or high-brow by nature .. i.e. the Public.... and no longer selfishly for one's self as an avid Collector.

So what is our role? Never to be a dull museum! To inform, entertain, inspire, and share our love of true Australia.... for starters.

However, yes you (typically) need a hand-written verse by Banjo because the Centre is named after him... it is almost expected.... and placed in a red-carpet environment under special lighting.

Attached workshop picture is one of the items in the current major Restoration and Presentation Project for Fred Lane. First Australian Olympic swimming gold medalist. (Sport culture). Restoring the photos was a big job and then arranging framing. All very expensive too!

I suggest that it is an absolute privilege for anyone to participate in what will be a fine and great legacy to the Nation. The only truly Australian Cultural Centre.

I hope this continuing story is proving to be interesting to ABPA Members.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:01 pm

Henry Lawson is someone very dear to the hearts of bush poetry enthusiasts and all Australians.

For the Banjo Paterson Cultural Centre, we have samples of his poetry featured. A big section of his works.
There are books around dealing with his personal life, but that is not an area that we venture into. I have turned down display books that have had sensitive, personal, handwritten inscriptions by him. Not going there. I have seen people try and do a character assassination on Henry to discredit his writing... and so here, that is not on. :)

His brilliant poetry and some prose; they all reflect his genius. They will speak for him in the Centre.

Attached photo is of a scarce and dainty Lawson book published in 1911, especially bound in crimson ooze leather. It is entitled Mateship.
Lines so touching that I have had it framed, including various copied pages in the frame. Quite a complex exercise. On the bottom is an engraved plaque explaining the book.

Looks much bigger and better in real life!! :)

As has been said on more than one occasion, "If you guys do not do this, it is all going to be lost to the nation forever". That is very true.

How would current and future generations of Australians ever know about all of this wonderful (and non-politicised) material otherwise?? Their own true culture. Australia has a huge amount riding on the success of this project. In fact it has its essential National Identity at stake... absolutely nothing less.

We bring it all together in one place so that it cannot be lost, suppressed or destroyed. A huge responsibility for just two dedicated people.. but an incredible way to usefully invest the short time one has on this earth.

We must and will succeed ... for the sake of the old bush poets and all the other folk who created what amounts to the real culture of Australia.
Bushies, bullockies, musicians, bush poets, actresses and actors, publishers and other heroes long gone. Genuine "Aussies". All the past valiant "Men and Women from Snowy River.." (sometimes without the horses though).

How could we ever let them down? Never!!!

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:28 am

Hi Gary

I definitely agree about Henry Lawson. According to accounts, he was a flawed character, but aren't we all in one way or another? What endures is his legacy of outstanding Australian literature. The display of his book looks great!

Am I allowed a bit of self-publicity? I have just been fortunate enough to win the Bronze Spur with a poem about Henry. It is now on the ABPA poetry page here: https://www.abpa.org.au/Files/award-poe ... ansen.html

I hope you will read it and feel that it does Henry justice. It was written with respect and affection.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:57 pm

Great Shelley....

After reading your poem, I would definitely say that it does Henry Lawson fair justice! No "controversial stuff" or judgmental lines of verse, I am happy to see. An approach to the subject that I have not seen before. Much original thinking and expression and with an obvious strong liking for Henry.

I do not think there is anything you write that Henry Lawson would disagree with - and a few spots he would no doubt chuckle at. A lot of writing work for you obviously... including the occasional stand-out flash of striking and resonating couplets.

It has the credentials to win a bush verse competition, that's for sure. The Bronze Spur being special - with a lovely trophy too I see. Well Done! You must be starting to need a big cabinet for them all. :) I am really not well plugged into the competition scene these days but it seems the ladies dominate with yourself, Maureen and Catherine Lee (I am learning to improve my sub-standard punctuation by studying Catherine's writing. Using dashes especially instead of a few dots!) trouncing the men as a rule!! Can't have that! :)

It is worth mentioning perhaps that Lawson's Legacy was also recognized in the Bronze Swagman Award in the top half dozen (HC) poems in 2019. (of 238 entries). So obviously the judge there concurred with my assessment. A competition winning poem....additionally validated!

"Self-publicity"for poems I actually regard more as a sharing thing among fellow bush poetry devotees - letting as many others enjoy what you have written. Then get intelligent and fair feedback. Why not. I mean you spend all that time and mental energy in writing something, so you have to give it the widest exposure that you can!

I try hard to avoid getting into the personal lives of the great bush poets too much. People do expect a bit of info though, don't they, "who wrote that?" - but at the risk of being selective, I only do positives for Henry.

Poor Henry labored with his deafness which no doubt became even more pronounced when it was his turn to shout, which was likely quite often.

I suppose as you say we all have flaws or shortcomings, but then what one person regards as a fault in us, another person may regards as a Virtue... so the trick is to associate with the second category of folk, and then one can polish up the halo!! Whether the halo is really deserved is always debatable of course.

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:53 am

Thanks Gary, and I appreciate your positive comments.

You are certainly highlighting the positive side of bush poetry and associated genres with your planned cultural centre. A very worthwhile endeavour, indeed!

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:09 pm

Thank you for your constant support and encouragement Shelley which never fails. Speaking up on this thread too. You are a champion! .. and a good poet as well!! :)

Just a few reinforcing comments anywhere from anyone, truly means more to me than I can put into words.

In addition to Fred Lane (first swimming gold medallist), in the field of Australian competitive swimming (sports culture) I thought that it would be nice to have a little feature spot for Dawn Fraser who was a very famous Australian Olympic swimmer from the 1950's and 1960's.

Attached is an extract from the book Gold Medal Girl. An autobiography by Dawn (1960) with Harry Gordon.

On page 24, Dawn refers to Harry Gallagher (her eventual coach) talking about his swimming training squad called The Golden Dolphins and she recalls here how he was trying to entice her to join them.
He talks to her (in 1953) about a prestigious tracksuit-badge, proudly earned and worn by his training squad members for swimming 100 miles in a season. (click on picture)

Attached picture shows this lovely, embroidered Golden Dolphins tracksuit-badge (6cm diam). The fish is a dart, thought at the time to be the fastest fish in the sea. The badge is ultimately rare and I believe this to be the slightly later upgraded version for achieving 250 miles in training in one season. Likely when indoor heated pools were introduced? This badge would still be c1960's and is from the Collection. Dawn swam her first Olympics in 1956... then 1960 and 1964.

No doubt Dawn Fraser earned her Golden Dolphins tracksuit badge many times over and was proud of it.... an exclusive club.

Hope to also eventually locate some historic championship swimming programs with State and Australian swimming records of the day included?.. and whatever else I can find related to historic swimming. Great displays for the proposed Paterson Centre.
Kind of an interesting aside I think?