The Spoken Word in Bush Poetry

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Gary Harding

Re: The Spoken Word in Bush Poetry

Post by Gary Harding » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:53 pm

Thanks Shelley...

A favourite work of bush poetry is this diminutive volume by W A Horn (1841 - 1922) entitled Bush Echoes.
Copies of this lovely book were sold in 1915 with proceeds going to support the wounded soldiers in WW1.

This book is a gem. It is easy for anyone to understand... plain language.... and spot on technically.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Horn

W. A. Horn has an 80+yo (and very knowledgeable) relative in Adelaide whom I discovered purely by chance!

We have spoken at great length on the phone and she has supplied me with a copy of a wonderful family portrait (see pic) for use in the Banjo Paterson Centre, as well as some detailed family stories about William Horn. In particular his famous Ride to register the Moonta Copper Mine ..which she can describe in great detail!

William was also skilled at wood-carving... there is probably a name for that art but I don't know it. I have been supplied with some pictures of his excellent woodwork. But it is his poetry that I truly love.. and I hope other members do too.

I hear the whistling stockwhips and the crash of breaking rails,
And see those splendid horsemen ride with nerve that never fails.
The white walls of my old Bush home again I seem to see,
'Twas was roughly slabbed and rudely thatched - yet "Home Sweet Home" to me.

In wild exploring days of old, the world seemed wide and free,
When not a track existed from the salt-bush to the sea.
And could my life-stream only flow as in the days of yore,
The secrets of the trackless bush I might again explore.

from a poem entitled The Call Of The "Bush"

Hope to be starting Mr. Horn's display soon. cheers, Gary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:59 pm

Another piece of The Sentimental Bloke story is this very nice scarce EP. (Extended Play)
It features the late Edwin Ride.

I have two copies.. one for the actual Bloke display, and one perhaps for the foyer where one puts out a "teaser" of items, suggesting all the good things available in the main Exhibition Area. The Sentimental Bloke exhibit is extensive and entertaining.. with a couple of great mannequins too.

Anyway it is all positive.

There is a C J Dennis Society that is active (I think).

For genuine C J Dennis enthusiasts, (not just well-meaning amateurs like me), it would be well worth joining to enjoy their functions and the camaraderie of like-minded folk who appreciate C J Dennis. Shelley may know more about that aspect....?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:15 pm

Great find, Gary! I have a home-recorded CD copy of this version of "The Sentimental Bloke" that was sent to me by someone who knew I loved the poems and the musical. It isn't particularly good quality, but still good to have.

As for the CJ Dennis Society, yes I am a member and have been for some years. It is based in Victoria - so a bit far away for us Queenslanders to pop along to the monthly meetings!

At Toolangi in Victoria, "Arden", the property formerly owned by CJ Dennis was for many years preserved and maintained by Vic and Jan Williams. There are "The Singing Gardens" tearooms and the most beautifully kept gardens, including the famous copper beech tree planted by Dennis to commemorate his meeting with English poet laureate John Masefield. Here is the website: http://thesinginggardens.com.au/

It is here that the annual Toolangi CJ Dennis Festival is held during October, and in conjunction with that a written poetry competition is held. Details are always posted on the ABPA Events and Results page.

We have attended the festival twice and it is fabulous. Ted Egan is the patron of the CJ Dennis Society and often attends - along with other well-known personalities. The members of the society also present items of poetry and song based on the theme of each year's festival - which aligns to the centenary of each of Dennis' published works.

Sadly, Vic Williams passed away in late 2018, so last year the festival was not held, although the written competition still went ahead. I have not yet heard about plans for 2020.

For anyone interested in more information about the CJ Dennis Society, here is the website: https://cjdennissociety.com/ This website includes a contact page where a message may be sent.

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:29 pm

Beacon Magazine (Fraser Coast) has published a small revealing article on us in its 9th edition. Although 'Paterson' is sometimes transcribed with two "t's" in error, we see past that mistake.
Beacon is an accomplished on-line and printed/distributed magazine run by lovely people.

To read it, click on this link and then select Edition 9. We are on page 12

https://thebeacon.com.au/magazine-publications/

I believe that we will be involved in a regular on-going section in the magazine.
Future articles will deal with Bush Poetry/Poets with the enhancement of introducing interesting items and stories from the Collection.
A bit like Collector's Corner was in TAT Magazine, (thanks to Maureen!)

Note my pointed remarks in the article that relate to Banjo's medals. (I have an interest in military things).

We are delighted to have the only properly researched, accurate and stunning presentation of his medals and awards in existence. In the near future it will be uniquely available for viewing in the proposed Banjo Paterson Cultural Centre

It took determination and sheer hard work and I am very proud of the fact that we have got it right, the only ones that have!! Surely that is extremely important for Banjo's sake? Why Banjo's Queen's South Africa Medal award (including clasps) is ignored, overlooked or even dismissed as unimportant is beyond my comprehension. He really earned it!! We certainly have recognised it!

All is on schedule ... and looking very very good. :) Gary

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:34 am

A special thank you to those friends from my facebook list who were all invited to put a Like against this new Facebook page outlining the exciting Banjo Paterson Cultural Centre Project... and responded positively to that!

https://www.facebook.com/Banjo-Paterson ... _todo_tour

It helps to lift our profile and every little gesture helps! Thank you!

I have very few clues about FB and how it works and mess things up most of the time. However this new page at least is something on the net if anyone does an internet search. An active window to the world with occasional bulletin updates.

If any ABPA members also feel like assisting by adding a Like or Sharing it, even if you are just a Banjo Paterson or devoted Bush Poetry enthusiast and want to endorse Banjo and his poet friends well... that would be appreciated! :) Gary

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:47 pm

These three youtube videos consist of two external Banjo Paterson Cultural Centre walk-arounds and a simulated walk-in to the foyer.

The water feature can probably be ignored as it is really only there for illustration and to break-up the large floor expanse. The video demonstrates the ample natural light that comes in through the large front windows... and the vaulted ceiling gives the feeling of space.

https://youtu.be/RjYQzy7ooRA

https://youtu.be/gLu692gvF3Q

https://youtu.be/wYB7b9CYEdI

It is an interesting project and I hope that those who are following its progress find it worthwhile to do so.

For producing great displays I am very fortunate to have Mrs. Karen Christensen of Dundowran (and her supportive family) as a neighbour, and fellow enthusiast .... a few minutes drive away. When it comes to things with an artistic component.. fabrics, lace, colours, craft, layout and patience..then I have few clues. It is a talent that I would love to have but was passed by when such gifts were handed out.

Anyway it is all progressing nicely and the great old bush poets would have been pleased to see it happening I'm sure.

Without this project, those wonderful Australian balladists would certainly be consigned forever to the graveyard of basement library shelves.
Each day brings us closer to honouring the accomplished old bush poets in the respectful way that they should be.

(attached photo is another one from the 1890's school glass-slide photo set) The Old Bush School

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:28 pm

Wow! Impressive!
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:09 pm

Yes, it is interesting, with lots of twists and turns too Shelley!
All those who love bush poetry must love the bush ...

Extending from the entrance into main Exhibition Hall will be an enclosed room with a curved pathway.

Within this room is planned a simulation of the Australian Bush at dusk (Diorama). Glowing horizon with silhouetted trees, bush sounds and smells.

Maybe even a swagman with his bright campfire by a billabong in deference to Banjo. Dusk I think is a magic world.
Overseas visitors especially will be initially struck by this impressive sample of Australia. It sets the mood.

You enter the Australian bush ....then on through there into the Exhibition Hall.

1. From my collection.... an original page 186 of The Lone Hand periodical, December 2, 1907. illustration by Norman Lindsay.
Bottom notation..."The bush was full of the subtle sound of creeping things, mysterious strugglings of unknown life"

2. Many years ago I was walking and camping on Wilsons Prom in Victoria. Lying in my sleeping bag at night in winter, outside the tent I heard the loud sounds of shuffling-rustling. "Something" was out there! A bunyip? Scary! I had left my pack outside the tent and in the morning something had gone through it looking for food and spread the contents around. I camped in the same spot a couple of years later only this time had the pack in the tent. Sure enough .. rustling-shuffling. Peered outside only to glimpse by moonlight an old grey-haired wombat scuttling off into the bush. It was his thing I guess... he was the owner of this territory... and occasionally supplemented his diet through the carelessness of bushwalkers like myself.

The creatures of the bush emerge at dusk
To warm themselves and cadge a bit of bread,
And though our conversation isn't much
We share a bond of comradeship instead.

3. From my collection, a set of two '60's books containing EP's of sounds of the Australian Bush.

There is also a separate exhibit of "Sounds Of The Australian Bush". I have obtained a kangaroo sound and... it does not sound like Skippy!

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:31 pm

Doesn't sound like Skippy!!! :o :shock:

That's it - my childhood fantasy shattered! ;) :lol:
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:14 pm

Shelley, speaking of fantasies shattered....

My recent excitement at getting the "Summons" document outlining the alleged profane language and supposedly signed by A B Paterson J P (see previous post) has been misplaced.

I took the opportunity to run it past my friend Benjamin Lindner, author of the recent book Waltzing Matilda: Australia's Accidental Anthem. He is a lawyer and knows such documents.

1. Benjamin dated it at most probably 13th September, 1886.

2. He states "The Justice of the Peace who signed this was not Banjo, but his father: Andrew Bogle Paterson. (He died in 1889, 3 years after this was issued. I don’t think he was a JP in 1858, another reason that this document would not be dated on that year)"

Yes , they have almost identical signatures!! as can be seen here. Photo is of Andrew BOGLE Paterson.

Benjamin says : "Banjo was in fact a solicitor, but never a JP or Magistrate, whereas his father Andrew Bogle was never a qualified lawyer. One did not require that qualification to be a Justice of the Peace (JP). In fact that is still the case today."

Will I still use the document? Probably not. It contains an element of humour but then such things can dilute the main theme. Too much incidental historical material like this can distract from what we are about which is his writing... and not being a Paterson museum.

One cannot win them all I suppose. A bit disappointing just the same ...