The Spoken Word in Bush Poetry

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Gary Harding

Re: The Spoken Word in Bush Poetry

Post by Gary Harding » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:02 pm

I don't know if anyone reading this series of posts is interested in Australian Bush/Folk/Traditional music but occasionally one can happily stumble upon a rarity like this one.

All the purist-approved acoustic instruments are used.

Such Bush Bands performed bush poetry recitations too because that was sort of the scene then... at least as I recall it.

...for interest, I will post Rough Bark Bush Band recorded around late 1988, in Launceston and Hobart, Tasmania. Some of the tracks may be familiar??

I have heard that cassettes are starting to become popular again.

I find that the darn things get sticky with age and even FF/REV the tape first when trying to save them to a stick, one still sweats that they will not tangle up in the machine which is usually fatal to the tape.

Has anyone else had the same experience with old cassettes? Unlike vinyl, they get notably frail with age and require more care.. FWIW
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:32 am

Tex Morton ..... Bush Poet

Tex Morton (1916 - 1983) was a versatile and talented singer/showman, perhaps still remembered by some ABPA members.
He was a New Zealander originally.

Tex has always been a sentimental favourite of mine.

The more one delves into his life, the more significant a figure and contributor he appears. He is also a bush poet.

Graham my neighbour who is getting on in years can remember him coming to Maryborough to do a show. He recalls him being a sharp-shooter. Both Graham and his father (who performed at travelling shows) could do the double-handed triple whip-crack.

As a young person in Melbourne, I went to a lively pool party and took a few records to help supply the music. One track I put on as a novelty was The Cat Came Back on a Tex Morton LP. It was an instant hit with the song being replayed several times while thirty extremely "merry" people around and in the pool joined together in the chorus. Very memorable.

Tex met Banjo Paterson at the races. He records this event in 1969 and it is in fact presented in one of our displays.

Anyway enough history etc... !!

The point is.... Tex was a man of many talents, one of which was Bush Poetry, inspired obviously by Banjo whose poems (with Banjo's permission) he recited and composed music for.

Here is a poem by Tex Morton that brings together "The Flying Doctor" and the world of bush poetry. It is recorded in his "Tex Morton Souvenir Songbook No 6 1942" from my collection (shown)

Tex and Ned Kelly

Notably included in this No 6 Songbook is "The Ned Kelly Song". Having sung it on stage a number of times before, I had no idea of its origin until now, so am delighted to have discovered its author. "Ned Kelly was born in a ramshackle hut etc " This is a waltz... and after the song, the music was continued such that people could get a partner and waltz around the floor. Memories.

"Anyone who is anyone" has written or attempted to write a Ned Kelly poem or song!

I think that in a literary and cultural sense, such songbooks are significant documents ... and more so if their contents are brought to life, as we are doing.

"And the Nation said, as it went to bed -
If any can save that man.
If he's still alive, if he could survive
The Flying Doctor can ! " .... Tex Morton

Being lazy, I am not going to transcribe this remarkable poem. To see the words, simply click on the image below, scanned on my machine and presented for the interest of friends here who also enjoy bush poetry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gary Harding on Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:19 pm

Have you ever bought something just because you have always wanted it??

Not an impulsive purchase or buying from any particular need. Not logical, justifiable or necessarily sensible.

I have a collection of musical instruments and many of these relate to Bush Bands. Just "having" an instrument, even if one has no idea how to play it, I find still imparts a feeling of power when you simply own it.

My mate Gary C. from the old bush band days originally decided to learn the bodhran (Irish hand-drum) to add to his talents on the bush bass and vocals. I was a bit envious because I had always thought of doing it, but...

Years ago, I grabbed an old $5 one from a garage sale. No beater (stick). No nothing.... it had a slightly ripped goat's skin.

Then the chance came last week to purchase one locally (Waltons make).. near new, incl. 3 different beaters, case, skin-maintenance spray, and two how-to books for Beginners with DVD's. The whole lot was $120.
In the photo, the line of slight discolouration across the centre of the skin is the mark left by the goat's backbone.. and not a fault.

An excellent deal, so very happy.

Will I ever learn to play it properly?? Not really.

But a gut feel tells me that somehow, someway it will earn its keep...

For an example of bodhran playing ... by Paddy Homan.. The Rising Of The Moon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAtjMGvYOmM

And also.... the guy at the back next to the drums, with the Irish Rovers performing Finnegan's Wake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuSZ0MKoUBA