The Spoken Word in Bush Poetry

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Gary Harding

Re: The Spoken Word in Bush Poetry

Post by Gary Harding » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:33 pm

For readers who are following the Women's Weekly story, it is expanded upon further in the latest edition of the Beacon Magazine where Mrs. Karen Christensen and myself have produced a major article.

https://thebeacon.com.au/magazine-publications/

Issue 13 pages 40,41,42,43,44

Like Shelley, I did not think of Amelia Earhart as a rhyming poet and in quoting her, I just took the best two lines from a sample of her poetry.
Amelia chose aviation rather than being a career poet.... probably not a wise choice in retrospect.

Beacon is a printed as well as an on-line magazine. Included at the end is a bit on the Cup and women's fashion.

I usually get a box or two of magazines to distribute and cruise the streets putting them in letter boxes.

The second article part was produced by Marianne the editor, from material we supplied. It all worked out pretty well, and a good promotion for the Women's Weekly.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:54 am

Waltzing Matilda

This year is the 125th anniversary of the creation of the song Waltzing Matilda at Dagworth Station in Queensland.

I recall Banjo Paterson was once asked if the words to Waltzing Matilda appeared in any of his verse books and he did not know. The (signed) 1929 copy of his collected works that I have, in fact does include the poem words.

Anyway I am not a person who is overly interested in the supposed history of Waltzing Matilda. I just like the simple song as it is...no analysis etc. A simple ditty as Banjo called it.

Unlike government-based institutions that publicly present it, we will not be politicising or "interpreting" it at The Banjo Paterson Cultural Centre.

Also I showed Karen's 85yo mother a booklet on Waltzing Matilda meant for use in Queensland primary schools that was full of untruths, distortions and political propaganda - and she was horrified.

"That is just so wrong!" she said. Yeah, "educators" getting into the heads of young susceptible kids via a politicised Waltzing Matilda is pretty disgusting.

Anyway, as a major contrast, we have a huge presentation of Waltzing Matilda that will delight everyone. It is meant to entertain and bring joy to people!!! No agendas either.

It is all about Having Fun. Enjoying this popular simple song. Nothing more.

This 20sec clip is also just a quick time out to have some fun... shared here.... celebrating the 125th anniversary.

https://www.facebook.com/10000239480369 ... 067400553/

It says a lot in 20 secs.. and the well-deserved Moet was good afterwards!

That old gramophone with Peter Dawson's 78rpm 1938 Waltzing Matilda version playing is really loud and I had to almost shout to be heard!

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:35 pm

Twenty of John O'Brien's poems taken from his book Around The Boree Log were put to music by Dom Moreno.

The attached photo is of the cover of the larger book of this sheet music (1933). The Collection has two copies. There is a pocket size book of the identical thing (one copy). I am not sure why a small book was produced.

Mr. Moreno's life story is readily available on the internet. He was a very accomplished composer and also involved with the Catholic Church, especially on the music side.

I recall some years ago being informed by someone who is popularly known for his knowledge of Father Pat Hartigan ("John O'Brien") that John O'Brien was not all that thrilled with this music. Not that it was not good as such perhaps... but maybe the thought that a poem is a poem, rather than it being transposed as a song?? Attaching music to lyrics may not always result in a resounding composition? I really don't know.

Anyway, as the proud possessor of a piano/pianola now and with the lady over the road being an ex piano-teacher, I might prevail on her to bring the song (No 16.) Peter Nelson's Fiddle to life from this sheet music.

The book says Peter Nelson's Fiddle : "The opening notes of the accompaniment represent Peter Nelson tuning his fiddle. This done, he strikes a broken chord on the four strings and begins playing his "simple melodies." The accompanist will soon realise that his part is an imitation of purely violin music."

Lonely, bent old Peter Nelson with the quaint, uncommon ways,
"Spruced and tidied" when the book of day was shut,
With the dim light in the window, and the friends of better days
Summoned round him by the fiddle in the hut.

All this will be presented in the section devoted to John O'Brien which is actually fairly sizeable. I would expect that most people would adore the poetic work of John O'Brien.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:31 am

The Man From Snowy River ...by Banjo Paterson

Who was the real Man From Snowy River? Was there ever one?? Does it matter?

Stories abound on the internet... "I sidled up to Banjo at a gathering once in 1936 and he told me that The Man From Snowy River was....."
Among other books (often inconclusive) there is one on Jack Riley who is often touted as the real Man. It is in a box here somewhere.

Does it really matter to the public? After all, surely it is the poetic writing in this thrilling and brilliant ballad that counts?

Nevertheless we do have a fun section that poses the question.. Who was the Real Man From Snowy River? It is entertaining.

Shown is our special presentation of the verse-book of that title by Banjo. This will be further enhanced.

It is a 1901 edition, not a first edition, but it is still an old, adequate and nice presentation copy that I had rebound in genuine leather to prolong its life and make it look important. Gilt corners and some gold-coloured paper over the end-papers make it look far more valuable and scarce than it actually is!! If visitors presume it is valuable because of that presentation.. "1901! oh,wow..." well that is OK too. :)

We intend to re-create the downhill ride as realistically as possible in our proposed special surround-video theatre. Hold on to your hat as you feel that you are charging down the mountain with The Man From Snowy River.. as well as feeling that you are droving with Clancy!

For those who want real (and unadulterated!) Australian culture..... The Banjo Paterson Cultural Centre will be the place!
This wonderful, famous ballad will have its own major section.

As well as being written by Banjo and internationally famous (I still cannot reconcile Kirk Douglas in the film with his American accent haha), this poem is surely a cornerstone of genuine Australian literary culture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:27 pm

Delighted to once again have an article in the fabulous and free Fraser Coast Beacon magazine. An incredibly professionally produced local magazine.

https://thebeacon.com.au/magazine-publications/

Issue 14, page 36

This article deals with Waltzing Matilda, Christina Macpherson and The Autoharp.

The autoharp is basically a zither with the addition of some chord bars and it was a very fashionable instrument in the 1890's. We regard it as The Third Partner, along with Banjo and Christina, in producing the song Waltzing Matilda.

Dave Salata of Dave's Ultramusic in Main Street, Hervey Bay who is a friend of mine, generously donated this vintage instrument to our WM display. He said that he and Ultramusic were right behind what we are doing.... gathering up true Australian Culture in all its broad traditional aspects and bringing it to the people for the first time... yes, the very first time!.. and he was moved to do something REAL to help us. THAT is something we especially appreciate!!!

A heartfelt Contribution. The Aussie spirit.

Music forms a large part of Australian Culture.

Everybody loves Banjo Paterson and knows his part in WM, but now Christina can share the stage with him a bit more perhaps?

This Beacon article provides some information about Christina and we are trying to give her some deserved fame at the proposed Banjo Paterson Cultural Centre. I hope that it is an enjoyable item to read. Gary

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:17 am

The Man From Snowy River display ...... Part 2

Here is a remarkable presentation of the iconic ballad, The Man From Snowy River by A. B. Paterson.

Sandwiched between two wooden boards (an Australian native variety), the artist who is a friend of mine and likely the best all-round calligraphic artist in Australia, has reproduced the entire poem in calligraphy, complete with his own personal illustrations!

This is all meticulously hand done!! .... as compared to assembling artwork using a computer (as I tend to do.)

As can be seen, it uses a fold-away concertina approach and one could never guess at the vast amount of work that he has put into it. The golds show as yellow in photos. He mentioned that the gold sun starts off low in the first sketches, then successively gets higher and finally sets as the poem ends. Interesting.

You should see it in real life - it is colourful and stunning! - far better than illustrated here by my dodgy photos (that show a home brew cider tub working away in the background.) No joins either. Click on image to see it better.

He loves bush poetry too... and I think that this is what happens when you have artistic talent and a subject-passion combined.

Unbelievable. A really beautiful and valuable item... bordering on a national treasure.

When I saw it, I just had to purchase it for the Banjo Paterson Cultural Centre. No messing around.
Being different.. having intriguing and quality displays is surely important for the public to enjoy? Presenting this one will be a challenge though ...maybe in a glass case under special lighting, with its information on an engraved plate?

Isn't it an excellent demonstration of the art of calligraphy as practised at an extremely high level. Doesn't it visually complement bush poetry?

Banjo would likely be impressed, wouldn't he?

I hope this post is enjoyed by ABPA members. It is something that one would never see otherwise and it is my sincere pleasure to share it here with fellow enthusiasts.

Cheers. Gary

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:05 pm

Wow! How absolutely delightful is that!!

I love calligraphy - learnt it back in the 1990s at a TAFE course taught by a retired seaman who honed his skills during his leisure time aboard!

With the rise of computer graphics it became a lost art for a while, but I see it is enjoying a resurgence. So it should, because no computer can reproduce the love and artistry of the human hand!!
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

vwalla

Post by vwalla » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:09 am

Wow! Thank you so much for the fabulous work you are doing. Cheers Val Wallace

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:24 pm

Thank you Shelley and Val.

Isn't it remarkable that it is the female ABPA members.. folk like yourselves and Maureen and Catherine... who are not shy or afraid to step up to the plate and be supportive of me in this important project!

You all deserve praise... and deserve to be the accomplished writers and regular dominant Competition Winners that some are. I truly enjoy every Win or HC that you all have. Good on you!

The old bush poets are the foundation of Australian culture.

I will never forget the very old man in his dressing-gown living in a tumbledown shack in Maryborough who had just lost his beloved wife. Handing over his set of Banjo Paterson "collector's" painted plates that were a treasure of his late wife. Fighting back his tears as he spoke about her, saying "..what youse people are doing for Australia is terrific and I wish I could do more, but please accept these.." I was very moved as I left his place and walked carefully down his front steps (that I hoped would not give way underneath me as they looked to be pretty rickety and rotten!)

OK.. so he was not a billionaire (that I could see anyway). Did he try and sell the plates on eBay or to cheapskates like me at a garage sale in order to put money in the bank?? No! he gifted them to us... probably sacrificing a few meals as a result. THAT is surely the Australian Noble Spirit at its best.

Perhaps one day the phone will ring out-of-the blue and someone will say "I may not have thousands of millions, but I have more than enough to fund this modest national legacy; and like you, I also love Australia with a passion. So if you would be gracious enough to accept me as a Partner, then let's get cracking and together see that it is done well"

In My Dreams? yeah, possibly...

This is a huge challenge.... like trying to climb Mt Everest in Aussie thongs... (that would be another first!....like this first Australian Cultural Centre)

It is a real Fight... but our opponents will always have more to tremble about than we do.

Long way to go to get to the pinnacle, but a long way travelled too! A huge amount riding on it... not for us, but for Australia.

Stay tuned... :)

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:15 pm

An "interesting" bush poet was Arthur Bayldon. Quite a character!

His book The Western Track was published in the days when bush poetry was widely popular.
It is still well known and republished occasionally.

As always, I will avoid giving my personal assessment of the poet's writing just because everyone sees things differently and I don't want to influence opinion.

We merely "present" him to the public in the most Entertaining way that we can. Fun etc. Not too serious, and never ever boring or dry!!

I always sample a poet's BEST work that I can usually select accurately.... something that arguably can produce a non-balanced view. One might assume it is all as good as that - and it usually isn't.

This particular book is a national treasure. It deserves to be (and it will be) placed in front of the Australian public as part of their literary cultural heritage. It is unique and permanent work, being undertaken by us alone... no imitators.

This lovely copy from the Collection has an unpublished verse by Arthur inscribed in his hand in the back!! (At least I believe it is unpublished...)

"Old Age's Memory Of Youth" Sydney, 23rd August, 1937. Click on image to read it.

I presume that he made it up on the spot as an inscription for someone special to him? Maybe a genuine love interest?
Isn't his handwriting classically striking???

Possibly for the first time, ABPA friends here are seeing something that very few (if any) other people have!

Introducing ... Arthur Albert Bayldon.