The Spoken Word in Bush Poetry

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Gary Harding

Re: The Spoken Word in Bush Poetry

Post by Gary Harding » Fri May 29, 2020 5:20 pm

Everyone who voted in the Australian Federal Referendum 1899 received a Certificate with their name handwritten on it.

Henry Lawson wrote a poem entitled Jack Cornstalk where he describes meeting a fellow Australian in London and talking about Federation.

1. Pictured here is the large framed Federation Certificate of my second great uncle Clement, together with Henry Lawson's moving Federation poem.

The photo does not do this item justice or reflect the many hours of planning, design and money invested in it. It looks ten times better in real life.

The price of Federation Certificates varies considerably depending on condition. For one in excellent condition like this which is always the aim, you could pay over $1,000. A watermark, foxing or other unsightly faults can quickly drop the price to $500 or less.

Getting the colours of the accompanying poem to be an absolute match with the old certificate was challenging because as readers would appreciate, colours on-screen do not always present identically on paper when printed.

2. A print of the poem, with its artwork by Karen.

By mixing a heritage item with a poem, it helps to "sell" Henry Lawson's poetry to people who otherwise might have little interest.
It is how we "bring the great balladists to the people". Showing a poem in a way that they would like to see. Any library can simply put a book out opened. Or scan items for scholarly research on-line. A no-brainer. This is special... and "for the people"

It demonstrates how rhyming bush verse connects with Australian history and how it reflects times and attitudes. Very moving.

These are all our own (proprietary!) original ideas too. :)

I'm sure that all devoted ABPA members share this passion with us. A great Australian story.
..... for the sake of the wonderful old bush poets!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:13 pm

As everyone would know, Banjo Paterson wrote the words to Waltzing Matilda and Christina Macpherson contributed the music.

By repeating (at Dagworth station) the catchy tune that she had heard at the Warnambool (Vic) races, she may have only stepped onto the world's stage momentarily but what an impact she had!

We could not find anywhere that really celebrated Christina adequately.

So I trust that we have helped to remedy that situation with this large stunning item. I have never seen anything like it in my life for high visual impact.

The gold just gleams while the handmade-by-Karen jewels (top and bottom) catch the light and sparkle.

Story : The gold outer-frame as usual cost a few dollars from a garage sale. The inner, oval frame was cut from a piece of craftboard (Bunnings) and covered in velvet. We added bordering elements of lace, braid and cord to lend a vintage feel.
The fabric-covered backing board gives a wallpaper-look reminiscent of the era. Due to the depth of the oval frame and assembly, we needed to extend the outer-frame to form a shadow box. A bit of woodwork for me. The original glass of the frame was retained for protection. It will be exhibited on a timber-planked half-height (or knee) wall... heritage-painted or wall-papered upper half. A vintage light will be mounted on the wall for period effect.

We sincerely trust that Christina would have been delighted with her unique presentation for the Paterson Centre, which is in accordance with her great contribution to Waltzing Matilda! It was fun putting it all together.

Who wouldn't agree with us that Christina Macpherson deserves the best! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:47 pm

Very impressive, Gary!
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:24 pm

Thanks Shelley,

Photos never do things justice and yes it looks stunning under the right lighting.

There is a lot happening, with some important new acquisitions just completed. Things thought impossible last week, suddenly become "job done."

The bush poets are our main theme but being a truly Australian Cultural Centre, you can imagine that ideas (and material) are coming at us from all directions! Exciting and fun times.

Remarkably it appears that we will be the only "Australian Cultural Centre". Who would have thought it?

Being privately funded, we have no political agenda, do not politicise what we do (unlike government institutions) and we work for The People. That way we doff our hat to nobody.. answer only to ourselves... and get a result that is absolutely Australian.

"Culture" is how we see it, because we alone are putting up the money and investing the thousands of hours of our time. There is no interference.

A good scene. :) :)

I am more than happy to share progress with ABPA members. We are very advanced.

I have to say that it would be highly unethical and immoral but if any government entity looks to copying us... undermining...stealing what we are doing in any way at all ...theft.... Then obviously I will be unable to post these interesting stories any more. So far, so good.

..... However I did get a book the other day that was presented in 1933 to the top girl at Toolangi State School, by Mrs. C. J. Dennis no less! an amazing find.

Will try and get some posts done soon for interest,

Cheers, Gary

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:36 pm

I would like to share a Good News Story....

Balladist Edward Harrington had a close association with Alice Springs, NT.

In producing a replacement for his poem Flynn of the Inland, we have established a friendship with some wonderful Alice Springs residents who are associated with the Adelaide House (Flynn) Museum and the Memorial Church.

(the original poem on vellum that was gifted to the Memorial Church by the Bread and Cheese Club is lost.. see previous post)

Edward wrote a poem entitled "Alice Springs" and it was produced in pamphlet form (booklet) by his great friend, the famous Harry Hastings Pearce.
Only 100 copies were produced in 1957 of this rather nice signed item, so it can be imagined how incredibly rare this booklet is.

The Adelaide House folk expressed a desire to get a copy and when I explained it was just unobtainable, they were very disappointed

So not to be beaten, Karen set to work and constructed a duplicate (a total of six of them actually) from my own copy (Copy No.20 of 100) including the tipped-in (loose) portrait of Edward, sketched by Harry himself.

With her amazing skills, the result was significantly better than the original. (no fading etc). It was perfection.

We have gifted this reproduction pamphlet (Alice Springs)to the Adelaide House Museum.

The replacement for the original (calligraphy) Harrington's poem Flynn of the Inland has been initiated ... with a brilliant calligrapher engaged now!!

This work will be paid for by myself and a copy gifted to the Museum/Church. No hesitation. It is just how it should be. How things are done. :)

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:47 am

1. I mentioned the book presented by Mrs C. J. Dennis (Margaret Herron) at Toolangi State School in 1933.

Attached picture shows its pasted-in inscription.

As many would know, Margaret was an author in her own right and later published a book Down The Years, The Life Story of C J Dennis. 1953.

I found this fact out only when I bought this 1933 book.. whereas I am sure C J Dennis enthusiasts would have been well aware of it.
There is only so much that one can "know" or recall in the Bush Poetry world, and my memory aint what it used to be. Overloaded maybe.?

A picture of my copy of her 1953 book on her late husband is attached.

Also a photo from the internet of C J Dennis, Margaret and Den's banjo.

This small grouping of items (her inscription in one book and her later book on Dennis) will likely find an unobtrusive place in the Dennis display. It is not an earth-shattering thing for an average visitor, I guess.

C J Dennis devotees might appreciate it though.

However....

2. The 1933 "presented" book itself was a WOW item. Very exciting.

I will make a post on it shortly. It made me find and buy a scarce 78rpm record associated with that particular book, recorded in 1933!! Plus a re-jig of the dustjacket... plus buying another very big item to go with it.

It will be an Australian story that has never been presented properly before.

I just cannot believe some of this incredible material.... it never stops!

Every day opens up some new Australian pathways. I feel like Indiana Jones. :)

It is very nice to share it with equally-passionate ABPA members who might also see this as our once only opportunity to show-off the great balladists to the public, permanently.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:04 am

I have fond recollections of Blinky Bill from my childhood, having been given the book by my wonderful parents when I missed getting a copy as a state school prize (when I obviously should have won it).

As a kid, it restored my faith in society's fairness (at least at the time). I just adored Blinky (the original) and his bush adventures and I still do!

Written and illustrated by Dorothy Wall.

Forming a colourful informative display in the proposed Paterson Centre, these important children's books from my collection are original copies from the 1930's and early 1940's !

The 7" record 1971 ("Have You Met Blinky Bill?") is by Ross Higgins (Kingswood Country, TV series)

One book added is Australians All, containing simple verses, bush verses for children, partly illustrated by Dorothy Wall. They mostly relate to Australian animals. Children's verse, good balanced verse, is so important... and broadens the audience appeal.

One thing about doing this ambitious project is that it makes you aware of your own shortcomings!!! When you think you are a patient person, you demonstrate the opposite... when you think you are doing the right thing, you realise it is not so. Mostly I hate making any mistakes at all, such as not buying something when I should have (being stingy), or exercising plain bad judgement instead of moderation, even when it comes to dealing with people. However, because of the huge responsibility that comes with completing this task (nobody else could ever do it if we don't) one cannot dwell on such negatives.

The good people who lend their encouragement, opinions and advice, and there are precious few of those, remain that way solidly and loyally... and for them I am enormously thankful.

We have the task of showcasing all the quality old bush poets. Their balladry.. and not their personal lives or prying into their personal papers. Their writing! After all, that is what makes them loved by everyone, isn't it?

Added to that is the array of subjects presented of an Australian Cultural nature that are necessary to make a well-rounded entertaining exhibition of what the traditional Australia was all about.

An absolute first. An Australian Cultural Centre... finally :)

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:38 am

Wow! So much happening with your collection Gary!

I take my eye off the ball for a week or two, come back and see so many fabulous new stories from you.

I didn't know about the Dennis life story book - would love to read that!! And just love the presentation to the Toolangi school girl. Your cultural centre promises to be such a treasure trove!!
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:59 pm

Thanks Shelley, yes many good things happening now!!

I have displays temporarily set-out downstairs (constant climate controlled) for visitors to peruse. One lesson that I have learned is that different things appeal to different people.
A bullock yoke, a lovely classic wind-up gramophone or magnificent old timber console-radio working etc can (sometimes) gain more attention than a handwritten verse by Banjo himself.

We aim to cover diverse subjects that have not been displayed before... or at least not adequately. Everything is labelled clearly. Bush Ballads are presented but never commented on. We never say this is great, skilled writing, etc. Visitors will have to make up their own minds. If ballads are good, then they should stand on their own merits :)

On Being Different to the Rest

We intend to be dynamic, colourful and interesting... and never a museum.

However I notice with great alarm that the National Museum in Canberra claims to "interpret Australia's social history" and "explore issues". That is just so Wrong... "interpreting" is not their proper function. Presenting is. One can be assured that Dr. Joseph Goebbels will have absolutely no place in our proposed Cultural Centre.

So.. we "wear the white hats" (good guys) not the black ones, and will be presenting Australiana in a neutral, factual and unpoliticised way for visitors.

Pictured is an item from the Old Bush School display. A rare Commonwealth School Paper from May 1st, 1914 (Front and rear cover, and sample of contents including My Country. We also have a display for Sir Henry Parkes that includes an original handwritten letter..). Great fun.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:07 am

This little news item might be of some interest...

I am thrilled to have been afforded the honour of being able to purchase for the proposed Banjo Paterson Cultural Centre, a large portion of the swimming memorabilia of the estate of the late Mr. Fred Lane (1880 - 1969).

Fred was the first to win a gold medal in swimming for Australia with two Olympic gold medals in Paris 1900. He still holds the World Record in the 200m Obstacle Event (discontinued).

This very valuable and culturally important Australian collection totals around 50 separate items, mostly dated around 1900.

Sadly much of Fred's memorabilia was destroyed in a house fire, including the Olympic gold medals. We have been fortunate in obtaining what we did!
Some of his material requires careful restoration, being more than 120 years old and that major work has been started.

How wonderful it is to be able to feature an original Australian sporting celebrity! ... bring him to life.

Fred also had connections to the literati of Sydney, later becoming a master printer. He was a good mate of Norman Lindsay, producing many bookplates for him. A friend of mine is currently undertaking a major project on Norman Lindsay who of course also did illustrations for Banjo Paterson's books.

We are intending to enlarge a photo in order to produce a life-size image of Fred Lane!! (I hope)
There are other swimming items presented such as an original Victorian State Swimming Team uniform (50 years old), an 1884 sterling-silver stopwatch ... and an item with connections to Dawn Fraser... and so on.

It will be a privilege to have this special sporting cultural collection on permanent display for visitors to enjoy.