opinions sought

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Glenny Palmer

Re: opinions sought

Post by Glenny Palmer » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:42 pm

Neilly Pooh,

I'll never get to Heaven if you nibble on my halo.......or.........

I'll nev-er get to Heav-en if you nibb-le on my ha-lo (Iambic) 8-)

x x
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

Heather

Post by Heather » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:46 pm

We'll have none of that here young lady!

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:50 pm

None of what? Are you sure you're talking to me Heather? ('Young lady'?)
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

Heather

Post by Heather » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:54 pm

ok, ok, none of that here oh wise and revered one.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:30 pm

I agree 100% Neil, our use of the English language is not a scientific mathematical formula.

The best guide I think is those fleshy things on the side of our heads, our ears.
Because these tell us how the language is done in the most common usage, i.e. people we talk with every day.
I think whether we are writing or learning to recite, we should read out loud.

I have a modest experience in the practice of art, I have seen how people get all churned up about technique in art, how to use brushes, how to mix paint, how to measure proportion etc, but painting is above all about looking and seeing, long before the paint hits the canvas.

In the same way we can argue forever about metre, rhyme, syllables etc, and although these things have a significant part to play in the structure of poetry, I am convinced that poetry is primarily the result of looking, seeing and listening. ( that includes reading poetry of all kinds )

A story I like is about the French painter Corot ( I think it was him ) who associated with a group of famous artists in Paris. He fumed at them that they had it all wrong, instead of staying up all hours of the night in the bar discussing art, they should have been going to bed early so they could get up fresh and early with plenty of time to go out and observe nature which was the real wellspring of art.

I'm no expert or intellectual, and a low grade poetry exponent, this is just my thoughts. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Dave Smith

Post by Dave Smith » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:17 pm

Neville Briggs wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong.
Neville you just know they will. :twisted:

TTFN 8-)
I Keep Trying

warooa

Post by warooa » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:20 am

zondrae wrote: Because I have had some limited success, I am being asked for advice. I tell them all that I am still a learner but they persist.
G'day Zondrae . . I reckon you're understating your talent. We don't consistently see the name 'Zondrae King' in the best competition placings and anthologies because of any other reason than you consistently produce some of the best bush poetry. Therefore others will invariably be drawn to you because of that success. You need to use that positively to enhance your self-confidence, not see it as a hindrance, because with success - it is a given.

I'm not sermonising . . . I'm just saying you're pretty bloody good.

Cheers, Marty

David J Delaney

Post by David J Delaney » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:56 am

G'day Zondrae, here is the reference I always use for looking at syllable counts, & nowdays I always count my syllables.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/wagtail

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:29 pm

Because I have had some limited success, I am being asked for advice. I tell them all that I am still a learner but they persist.

Zondrae we will have to have a talk to you about your self esteem.

People ask for your help because they respect and admire what you do. Go for it ?

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:24 pm

Thank you all,

For your kind words of encouragement. I guess I was having a bad day.. sorry for the 'woe is me.'

Today the sun is shining and I have just looked up the page suggested by Dave Delaney... woohoo... at last a dictionary that I can understand. (the pronunciations and the syllable separation) I guess I will have no excuses in the future for mis counting. (Sorry but I must count) I think it is OCD as my kids have been tellng me for years.

That's the trouble when yah git yah kids edjakated. They git big eads n think they no et all.

Back to the poetry.. our topic for the week 'The Truth'. Gee I have enough problmes with 'A' truth, so how can I address 'The Truth'. I'm a Libra.... enough said.

Hey Manfred, Is it possible that we could have a spell check?
Zondrae King
a woman of words