opinions sought

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Zondrae

Re: opinions sought

Post by Zondrae » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:39 pm

Goodoh,

I have it. thanks Glenny.

Neville,

Thank you. I like definite rules or standards. Things that I can refer back to and know they are legitimate.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

warooa

Post by warooa » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:10 am

Morning all . . . so the 'oi' is a diphthong, ay? Hasn't got the same ring "Aussie Aussie Aussie . . . diphthong diphthong diphthong :? "

seriously though, I see words like tail and soil as one syllables but can be accentuated as two, as Zondrae initially said. Just the same as a word like 'beard'. For example you could rhyme soil as a two syllable end rhyme with royal, which obviously has two syllables. Couldn't ya?

Marty

keats

Post by keats » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:15 am

I agree Marty and all this science of poetry can fall apart in two seconds if the judge has an accent. No one ever considers this. Look at the differences between our own state dialects, without even taking into accOunt an English or New Zealand Judge!!! So for me, they are all one syllable and are all two syllable, especially after a drop of your home brew!

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:40 am

G'day Marty & Neil,
Will you two gentlemen help me out here please? I need to ask why this oppositional attitude arises when the structure of verse is discussed? Zondrae has made a genuine enquiry about structure, and those who wish to assist have made genuine replies.
Clearly, no one has invalidated your choices to disregard learning/employing established structures, and yet I feel a subtle invalidation of others' choices to pursue same, through these types of replies. What is the real motivation for this?
Thank you in advance.
Glenny
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:23 am

G'day Glenny,

thank you for your emails. I have all three. It is very informative to have the opinion of one who knows.

A wise old bird told me once to 'be careful of who it is you take advice from'. I try to remember this.
Your assistance to all we 'learners' both through this site and in your workshops is invaluable.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:24 pm

Many thanks Zondrae. I do hope this helps with some of your confusion. We all go through the same thing, so give yourself time. You are doing extremely well really & shouldn't be too hard on yourself.
Cheeers
Glenny
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:27 pm

G'day again,

Glenny,
Now I have the problem that must really be a plague to you. Because I have had some limited success, I am being asked for advice. I tell them all that I am still a learner but they persist. I would like to be helpful and I do pass on that I have been taught, as best I can, but there are not enough hours in the day as it is. Competitions coming up and not much to offer. I'm scratching round in my homewok poems to try to find something I can polish.

Better get back to it.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:10 pm

The Sergeant formed up a firing squad
to dispatch the treacherous sod.
His instructions, succinct and clearly they came
“Port arms, Ready - Aim - "
A poet turned soldier interrupted, "Please Sir,
do I shoot on the 'FI' or the 'ERR'?"

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:04 pm

Better go and have a cold shower Manny, you're getting overheated. :roll:
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

keats

Post by keats » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:13 pm

Wow, Glenny, I am still waiting on forensics to decipher your comments before!! lol No, there is no opposition here, just some Devil's advocacy. I know only too well of expected structures within Bush Verse, but we both no there are no absolutely bulletproof rules. We have all scratched our heads at some winning poems before, and I would think that all comes back to the Judge's interpretation, pronunciation and experience. As I have continually said, perhaps our most qualified judges are still entering the competitions, so sometimes it's a no win situation. No disagreement here, I can see where confusion can reign and Zondrae helping out people is a wonderful, sometimes frustrating but invaluable experience. All I was saying is that there are times when never the Twain shall meet on the scientific side of poetry. That's why I stick to performances now, so I can mouth the words to the syllables I need, or in most cases don't. Now are you gonna share that donut or what?

Neilly Pooh