New children's picture book: "Christina's Matilda"

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Stephen Whiteside

New children's picture book: "Christina's Matilda"

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:05 am

Yesterday I attended the launch of a new picture book for children, "Christina's Matilda". It is written by Edel Wignell, illustrated by Elizabeth Botte, and published by IP Kidz.

The book tells the story of Christina Macpherson, and her role in the writing of the song, "Waltzing Matilda". The story is becoming quite well known now, and has featured in several books, but there has never been a book for children devoted to the subject. This may also be the first time any book has been entirely devoted to the story of Christina Macpherson.

Christina was a member of a large pastoralist family. She lived in Melbourne, but one sister lived in Camperdown in western Victoria, and several of her brothers lived on Dagworth Station in Queensland, near Winton. While staying at Camperdown, she visited nearby coastal Warrnambool one day and heard a song, 'Craigielee', being played by a brass band at the races. She liked the tune and, being a proficient piano player, played it often.

Some time later she visited Dagworth Station, to be with her brothers following the death of their mother. She invited an old school friend, Sarah Riley, to join her, and Sarah brought her fiance, Banjo Paterson. Christina played Paterson 'Craigielee', he decided to write some words to it, and the rest, as they say, is history!

The book is beautifully produced, and would be a wonderful way to introduce children to the story of 'Waltzing Matilda'. I imagine it would be particularly valuable for young girls, showing them how important one particular woman has been in the forging of the Australian identity. History has largely overlooked Christina Macpherson, but it appears that she is finally receiving the credit that is due to her!
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Re: New children's picture book: "Christina's Matilda"

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:13 am

Love your history lessons Stephen...I have never heard that story about Waltzing Matilda so thoroughly enjoyed the bit of extra knowledge that you have now shared. Thank you. Reckon that would be a fabulous book for schools to have.

Cheers

Maureen
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:25 am

I forgot to mention that the book was launched by the Premier of Victoria, Ted Baillieu.

Much of the information in the book was provided to Edel Wignell by Diana Baillieu, Ted's mother. Diana Baillieu is no longer alive, but she was the niece of Christina Macpherson. Christina had no children of her own, and would often visit Diana's parents in Camperdown. Diana and Christina spent a lot of time together, and were good friends.

A report of yesterday's launch can be found on page two of today's Melbourne Age newspaper.

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:02 pm

... a bit of trivia ...

On 8 April 1865, Mad Dan Morgan, held up the McPherson family at Peechelba Station in Victoria. A nursemaid (to Christina Macpherson) Alice Keenan, managed to escape and inform Mr Rutherford, the co-owner of the property. The following morning Dan Morgan was leaving the property when he found himself surrounded by police. He was shot in the back by station employee John Wendlan. He was buried at Wangaratta Cemetery.

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:43 pm

Yes. That story's in the book too, Manfred.