A Rhymers first foray into Free Verse

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Neville Briggs

Re: A Rhymers first foray into Free Verse

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue May 03, 2016 1:08 pm

:roll:
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue May 03, 2016 2:20 pm

I absolutely agree Terry and that's why my writing has changed over the six years I've been writing - or maybe I just get bored easily. :) Part of the reason I try different things is because I read something here and I think, wow, I wish I could do that - let's give it a go.

Neville, you really ought to get that fixed! I'm getting worried about you now. :)

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue May 03, 2016 5:04 pm

More than one way to skin a cat Terry you know that :lol: I also look forward to seeing what you can magic up putting to good use your poetic/writing skills, you knowledge and love of the bush and your wonderful photographs ... I anticipate that what will eventuate will be very special.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Terry

Post by Terry » Tue May 03, 2016 5:25 pm

Heather
I guess in my case I had a lot of stories I could convert to poetry - and went with the only thing I at least partly understood at that time.
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of poets start trying a different approach after awhile - feeling they need to spread their wings once they realize that it might be fun to try something different - you probably also need to find the style that suits you to get the best out of yourself.
Terry

Thanks Maureen

No pressure hey.

Cheers Terry

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Wed May 04, 2016 4:32 pm

Cooler weather, Terry ??????!!!!!!! You should come to Queensland, mate - we've hardly dipped under 30 here!! :? (And we're over it!!)

This is a very interesting discussion. While I do enjoy good non-rhyming poetry (what is the definition of "good" - I hear you cry), I am no expert on the topic. However Neville's comment got me thinking about some "free verse" I have read which seems to be no more than prose chopped up. Therein lies the danger - because in my understanding, despite lack of rhyme and traditional rhythm, free verse should still follow the natural rhythm of speech and should be quite distinct from prose.

I've had a few attempts and all I can say Terry - give it your best shot! Nothing to lose and everything to gain and learn. Read the works of established free verse poets (I did) - there are plenty out there. Some you will love and some will completely bewilder you! But they are all good tools for fertilising one's own inspiration :D

Looking forward to seeing the results of your endeavours!

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")