HELP WITH 'SWEENEY'...calling Joe..Manfred..Peeley

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Heather

Re: HELP WITH 'SWEENEY'...calling Joe..Manfred..Peeley

Post by Heather » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:02 am

Thank you Stephen. As a newbie I tried to work out what other poets had done in the way of metre in order to learn. I found Lawson all over the place sometimes. I love some of his poetry but technically I found him confusing. He doesn't always use proper rhymes, his stanzas don't always have the same pattern etc.

I read his biography by Colin Roderick a little while back and it made me wonder how much work the publishers had to put into his work to correct spelling.

I have some Paterson and C.J. Dennis books but haven't had time to read them in depth as yet.

I'd be really interested in reading your article Stephen.

Heather :)

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:22 am

Send me an address, Heather, and I'd be happy to send you a copy.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:32 am

Stephen Whiteside wrote:I think you might be missing the point a bit here. Lawson was not a natural rhyming poet. Paterson and Dennis were, but Lawson wasn't. Lawson's natural talent was writing short stories. He wasn't a novelist, either, but he wrote superlative short stories. He really only wrote rhyming verse because everybody else was, and he wanted to get on the bandwagon.
In terms of poetic 'output', I understand Lawson topped the three (not bad for a bloke who 'failed' year 12).

Ask common old Joe Public who Australia's top three (classical) poets are and Dennis seldom gets mentioned - (maybe CJ tried too hard to be 'common'). :(

Nice try Stephen ... :D

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:03 pm

Sorry, Manfred, but again you're missing the point. I'm not talking about the overall quality or popularity of the poetry, I'm just judging it from a technical point of view, which is how Glenny started this thread.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Frank Daniel

Post by Frank Daniel » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:07 pm

Hey Glenny,
You should know better than to ask me for help.

I don't claim to be one capable of critiquing the work of others.
Either I like it or I don't.
I read and listen to bush poetry without commenting because the writer has done his or her best and, as in Lawson's case, has been accepted for what he has done.
I understand rhyme and metre and mostly get it right, although I often use sound rhymes if that's what they are called.
I would be the dunce in the class if I was asked to explain stressed and unstressed, anapest and all that other stuff, I just write what I think and feel. I'm not an educated poet, I write mainly for performance, and that is where I guess I shine most.
I never know what you're all talking about when it comes to all those fancy words.

With Henry's "It was somewhere in September, and the sun was going down" I'm sure he meant "anywhere in September" without stipulating that it was up at Bourke in September where I believe it really was, or anywhere else for that matter..
Sweeney, I believe was actually Lawson, seeing himself as a drunk (with a sensual mouth.
In all copies of Sweeney by Henry Lawson I find that he wrote 'Neath the public house veranda' but it was Slim Dusty who changed it to 'Underneath the pub veranda'.
Dunno where I'm going now. But I'm happy for a bloke that didn't get the yr. 12 thingo.

Joe

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:08 pm

Well said Frank I'm with you. one day when I get a little older perhaps I might take the time but I never was a good student.

Cheers Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

vwalla

Post by vwalla » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:21 pm

Frank
Thank you for saying exactly what I was trying to say though my attempt was poor
I definitely agree that we need structure and I try to maintain that .
But to start nit picking on the Masters' works , seems a bit rich to me.
I think Bush Poets should be endeavouring to maintain the enjoyment factor for the audience and the recognition of well written verse will hopefully come automatically.
Val W

william williams

Post by william williams » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:31 pm

Thank frank yous enlish she betta than mine. Me tinks enjoyment she's wat peoples want them other words you said they's to hi falutin for me. Plain scrub tucker an bush yarns beuty mate

Bill the old Battler

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:50 pm

David: Thanks…glad you enjoyed it.

Glenny: Yes, I did write it, and I’m flattered by the “Mr Campbell”. Don’t get that too often these days. I usually answer to: “Hey you!”

Footnote: Have to say I’m with Stephen when it comes to evaluating Dennis. The more I read, the more impressive the incredible variety and complexity of his work becomes.

Cheers
David

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:04 pm

Don't want to burst your bubble David (Mr Campbell) but we had another 'David' in the mix & I reckoned I'd already confused things enough.

Ta to all of youse for your input. I was really just asking why I felt like such a dunce re 'Sweeney'. It was only because one of my newbies asked me about it that I started all this off......whew!

At the end of the day I agree that the enjoyment factor is the top goal. I sure have enjoyed all of this banter.....

off to Google where in the dickens is 'Laggen'.....(I've done it again, mentioning 'Dickens'.....)

Cheeers
Glenny
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.