Horrid evil creeping

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
manfredvijars

Re: Horrid evil creeping

Post by manfredvijars » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:46 am

Neville Briggs[b] wrote:... there is more scope in metred rhymed verse than some of our bush poets seem to realise.[/b] We don't need to go anywhere near so-called free form to make interesting and imaginative variations.
Been saying this for years ...

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:38 am

No offence taken by me Marty fear not...and thank you Neville...happy you liked my green theme :lol:

I found it interesting that you described it as 'narrative' Marty...that is the thing that I still haven't been able to work out to my satisfaction with free verse. Is it verse/prose/narrative...I have written stuff as free verse and then gone back in and thought that is bloody ridiculous - it doesn't become verse just because you break up the lines, as Neville rightly pointed out and I couldn't agree more.
I know what you mean by modern verse looking like prose, arbitrarily chopped up and stacked vertically
The piece titled 'Dry Argument' was the catalyst for that I think, it started out as a piece of free verse which I then realized should be or was prose and then unhappy with that did it again as a piece of bush poetry...

I would disagree in part with this comment about other sites
If I were to venture into a free verse site and posted a rhyming Bush Poem I would expect some deriding or backlash for doing so , by all means explore the inner free verser but I maintain that this is not the forum to do so in great depth
Having posted bush poetry or perhaps more to the point rhyming poetry on occasions on a few sites that are predominantly free verse I have never found that to be the case.

But hey it brings out a bit of good discussion doesn't it :lol: As long as nobody gets their knickers in a knot over it - figure the world is big enough for all races/religions/dog breeds and poetry......we may not like all, we may gain something and we always have the right to just walk away.

Cheers

Maureen
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

keats

Post by keats » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:42 pm

If you are going to post free verse on a Bush Poets site, then don't expect constructive criticism, or any for that matter. No good arguing about this, it is a site dedicated to Australian Bush Poetry, by definition, Poetry about Australia with decent rhyme and metre. Always been that way. Now I must be off to post my thoughts on NRL on the AFL site. (Is there any difference in doing this?)

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:26 pm

No Real Life commenting on the Anti Football League ???

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:01 pm

Ah Gees Marty I'm not gonna come either. Hang on I was not coming anyway. Could do a link up on skype but I do not have that either. I just know you blokes ( And Sheilas ) are gonna have a great time.

Bush Poetry Rules.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!