C.J. Dennis vs. John Shaw Neilson

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Stephen Whiteside

C.J. Dennis vs. John Shaw Neilson

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:24 am

I was asked to perform the role of Guest Speaker at the AGM of the John Shaw Neilson Society last Sunday.

Because of my interest in C.J. Dennis - and relative lack of knowledge of Neilson - I decided to make part of my talk a comparative biography of the two.

In case anybody is interested, here are my notes.

Neilson vs. Dennis

1. Cultural extraction
Neilson: Scottish Presbyterian
Dennis: Irish Catholic

2. Year of birth.
Neilson: 1872
Dennis: 1876

3. Place of birth
Neilson: South Australia (Penola)
Dennis: South Australia (Auburn)

4. Education
Neilson: Left school at 14 after a total schooling period of two and a half years
Dennis: Also left school at 14, but this was after a comprehensive primary schooling, followed by a couple of good years of secondary schooling at Christian Brothers College in Adelaide

5. Earnings from poetry
Neilson: negligible
Dennis: a short period of spectacular earnings, followed by a long period of solid earnings

6. Nature of poetry
Neilson: lyrical, surreal, mysterious verse – no verse novels (also some light verse and limericks)
Dennis: verse with strong rhyme and metre; strong characterisations; much humour and slang; many verse novels

7. Nature of prose
Neilson: by his own admission, not his strength: “I was about twenty two before I came to the conclusion that I could not write prose.” (page 34)
Dennis: superb writer of prose, though wrote considerably less of it

8. Personal life
Neilson: never married, no children
Dennis: married, but no children

9. Relationship with other poets
Neilson: close relationship with Dame Mary Gilmore:

(Speaking of her first meeting with him) “…and when I saw his work-swollen hands, with the finger-nails worn to the quick by the abrading stone, I felt a stone in my heart.”

Dennis: good friendship with Henry Lawson, who was, of course, very close to Gilmore.

10. Attitudes to Nature
Both very keen of observers of Nature (and both keen to avoid the city of Melbourne)

11. Attitudes to mechanical things:
Neilson: According to his brother, Frank, (Autobiography, page 18) “…he had a total lack of interest of all mechanical things. Often after we had left farming and were looking around for employment, I would obtain work, as I had a bicycle and could of course ride if necessary some miles to work. He, however, used to be compelled to walk, as he never would have the patience to be bothered even with the simplest push-bike.”

Dennis: had a love of gadgets and innovations, and was very good with his hands.

12. Mentor/patron
Neilson: A.G. Stephens, James Devaney
Dennis: J. G. Roberts

13. Health
Neilson: plagued by difficulties with eyesight – probably as a result of macular degeneration, which meant he relied very heavily on his peripheral vision – for much of his life.

Dennis: Suffered from asthma, exacerbated by smoking; also very heavy drinker – health deteriorated sharply during his fifties

14. Financial position
Neilson: lived a largely ‘hand to mouth’ existence through manual labour; after many years working as road builder, worked as messenger and office worker for the Victorian Country Roads Board for the last decade or so of his life. He also obtained a small pension (from the Commonwealth Literary Fund) towards the end of his life.

Dennis: made a large amount of money during his life, but lost it through a combination of lavish spending and poor investments; died in debt

15. Year of death
Neilson: 1942
Dennis: 1938

16. Place of death
Neilson: Melbourne
Dennis: Melbourne

17. Place of burial
Neilson: Footscray Cemetery
Dennis: Box Hill Cemetery

18. Public acknowledgement of passing:
Neilson: very little: to quote ADB “…partly because poetic fashions had changed, but mainly because of the intensity of the war.”

Dennis: The Australian Prime Minister, Joseph Lyons, suggested he was destined to be remembered as the “Australian Robert Burns”.

19. Who is now better remembered?
It is very difficult to say. Neither poet has a high profile these days. My suspicion is that Neilson has more appeal to younger generations than Dennis.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Neville Briggs

Re: C.J. Dennis vs. John Shaw Neilson

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:55 pm

That's the old school exam instruction isn't it Stephen, " contrast and compare " ;) You've probably set out the answer comprehensively. :)

I think your comment in no. 19 is true.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Stephen Whiteside

Re: C.J. Dennis vs. John Shaw Neilson

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:18 am

It seemed like a good way of approaching a subject - John Shaw Neilson - about which I did not have a great depth of knowledge, and was a fun thing to do.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au