The Wergle Flomp Humour Competition

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Bob Pacey

Re: The Wergle Flomp Humour Competition

Post by Bob Pacey » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:52 pm

Read both of them and listened to her AAAAAAAAh till the bloody end. no funny bone ticklers here Keats or Bill Kearns would leave them both for dead.

I think you are trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear Nev.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:38 pm

I'm not trying to make anything Bob. ;) just showing how one might view this piece.

I think comparison with Bill Kearns or keats is not useful, they are trying to achieve something very different.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

warooa

Post by warooa » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:07 am

I'm hearing you Nev, it's humour but nuanced and as you say, rather English. I didn't mind it, didn't laugh out loud, just wore a creased amused grin.
Thanks for posting this Catherine - it brings up a couple of interesting things. First, I think those amongst us who stick to the more traditional style and content of poetry need not get upset, threatened or dismissive of anything which falls outside those parameters. It is like any art form, whether it be Jazz music, dance or creative suffering, there will always be new and evolving strains that we just don't appreciate, and I think it is best that we always try and learn just a little something from things we don't value greatly. Okay it doesn't rhyme, isn't funny and is about old people and sex - but there might be a word you like, perhaps just one, or a clever bit of alliteration. Okay, nothing? :roll:
Having said that, I'd say don't change your style for the sake of kudos in a competition (to your poet friend). I think we should write true to ourselves first and foremost. Tweaking your style, format or content for competitions sake I think compromises your artistic integrity somewhat. It depends (as has been touched on previously) if your primary goal in writing is to succeed in competition.

Cheers, Marty

ps. the funniest thing I found was that the name of the competition - The Wergle Flomp, sounds ironically like a sexual position for older people

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:01 am

warooa wrote:I think we should write true to ourselves first and foremost. Tweaking your style, format or content for competitions sake I think compromises your artistic integrity somewhat
Yes, yes, yes. The best advice for today Marty. :)
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:43 am

What integrity ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

anyone who saysd that they have not changed their style for competitions after not being successful is like someone who say that they never gone over the speed limit in their car.

Bob

Heather

Post by Heather » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:57 am

Marty kinda beat me to it. I was going to say that if you enter competition with the name Wergle Flomp then you should expect just about nything. hvig puter issues here

Catherine Lee

Post by Catherine Lee » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:04 pm

Hi everyone, and thank you so much for your valuable input, which I've forwarded on to my poet friend.

Bob, yes it's certainly an 'out there' name for a competition so it's not surprising you thought I was joking - I figured you did...Thanks for the 'alternative' verse :lol:

Neville - Thank you so much for your considered opinion. it is much appreciated, and certainly I agree it's not meant to be hilarious. I think my friend has just come up against what we all have at times - that chasm between what one person considers poetry and another doesn't. Thank you too for pointing out that the second place getter had written a rhyming poem, as this will be an encouraging fact to pass on to him. Thanks to Maureen as well, for posting the site for the video.

Shelley, like you I usually really enjoy English satire, but this didn't do much for me either.

Finally, thanks so much to you too Marty for your great advice to the poet in question. This is indeed more or less what I've told him and I will copy your comments to him as well. I don't think he will try to adapt his style, as he does not write primarily for competitions and this would be a grave mistake anyway as you so rightly point out. The judges obviously felt this was very clever, and maybe it is in this genre, who knows?...You certainly have a point about the name of the competition though - as do you Heather! :lol:

Once again, thanks to everyone for your very valuable feedback :)

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:18 pm

Can ya post a picture of Wergle ? :lol: :lol:

Cheers Catherine

Catherine Lee

Post by Catherine Lee » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:22 pm

:lol: :lol: Now there's a challenge for someone imaginative...the mind boggles!

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:47 pm

Mr W Flomp esq.

wergel.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.