Is poetry a universal form of expression

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Neville Briggs

Is poetry a universal form of expression

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:37 pm

Maureen posted a letter from a Brisbane teacher who is taking her class through a unit that is seeking to examine poetry as a universal form of expression. They have invited someone from our association to do a presentation.

I wondered if it was true, that poetry is a universal form of expression.
After all poetry depends on precise words, and the nuances of the specific language of the poem. How could English poetry resonate with Chinese people, how could German poetry resonate with South Sea Islanders. When poems are translated they must lose the music and rhythm of the original intention.
So how could poetry be universal.

Then I remembered Shakespeare, Shakespeare's plays are all poems. And Shakespeare's plays have been read, performed and made into musicals, operas and films in many countries including non-English speaking countries, presumably because their content has universal appeal.
And the famous" Lord's Prayer" and Psalm 23 from the Bible. There are many countries speaking different languages where these two poems are recited or sung.
Perhaps by these examples alone, poetry is a universal form of expression.

What do you think. We are poets aren't we and poets have strong opinions about poetry don't they?

We have discussed how we should encourage presenting poetry to young people, what would we tell the class of young people about the universality of poetic expression ?
Last edited by Neville Briggs on Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Neville Briggs

Re: Is poetry a universal form of expression

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:19 pm

That's fantastic Matt, I'll have to keep that for my collection of quotable quotes.

Although...the Romans could not have done the wonderful soaring architectural masterpiece of the Pantheon without the technical stuff of pouring concrete. ;) :)
Neville

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:33 pm

Hi Neville and Matt ...

I guess my interpretation of the "universality" of poetry is that, like music, it has been an integral part of mankind's expression of language from the beginning. The earliest written records from all civilizations contain poetry. Every country on earth has spawned poets - therein lies the universality of this unique art form!

The structure of and sound of music differs across cultures, as does poetry. It's true that some originality may be lost in translation, but we all still appreciate the spirit of poetry - whatever its origin (as you rightly say - Shakespeare and the Bible are fine examples of this).

What would I say to young people? I would say this:

"Why read poetry? Today we live in a world of instant access, instant messaging, instant gratification and 24/7 availability. It is just so easy to get caught up in it all, and fail to take time to appreciate the finer things in life - such as fine music, fine art, and fine literature, of which poetry is a part. These things can help restore our emotional balance when the stresses and pressures of everyday living throw us out of kilter. Poetry is an integral part of the human spirit. Throughout the ages it has been a measure of our hopes, our fears, our joys, our tears ... our humanity. So ... stop! Read poetry! If you already read poetry ... read more poetry! And as you view the world through the poet's eye, may you find the key to unlock the secrets of your heart."

Cheers, Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:07 pm

Well said Shelly, you've got the passion ;) :)
Neville

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:04 pm

Well said Matt and Shelley - and Shelley touched on something that I also believe and that is that often poetry fails because of the translations. A poem that is beautiful and lyrical in its own language can fail dismally when translated into English, or when translated badly - the subtle nuances are often lost.
Poetry is an integral part of the human spirit
Perhaps? I would say that 'words/language' are the integral part - if you can install a love of words into a child and a love of reading, then a love of poetry may also follow.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:21 pm

Hi Maureen -

What you say about translation is true - I think "translated badly" is the key. I once read a group of poems that had been translated from Catalan into English. No doubt something had been lost, but they were still so exquisite that I completely fell in love with them. So the spirit of the poems can sometimes be preserved across languages.

You are right - words are more fundamental than poetry - I guess I was saying poetry was "an" integral part of us, not necessarily "the" integral part. I couldn't agree more that we need to instill a love of reading in children. That's where it all started for me - a bookworm from infancy! :D

Cheers, Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:59 pm

Indeed Matt. Universal truths that transcend political, ethnic and cultural distinction. ;) Shakespeare was no post-modernist :)
Neville