Just a thought

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Terry

Just a thought

Post by Terry » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:29 pm

Hi Everybody

I read from time to time that some of the smaller comps are struggling to keep afloat. Out ABPA Mag. runs a events calendar but can only promote events if if it's notified in advance, so many of the smaller events aren't shown there. I have been wondering if members of the forum couldn't start a similar events calendar featuring as many of the minor comps. well in advance of their closing date on this site, as this may help people get something ready to enter and so support these smaller comps. Some members are already doing this, perhaps other members from the various groups who have this knowledge couldn't do the same.

I'm wondering If we couldn't have a special place on the forum (A Type of Events Calendar) so as many festivals and comps as possible, are known in advance throughout the year

Over here in the west most of us haven't a clue about many of these events and I suspect this might be the case with some on the east coast as well. By the time we get to hear of some of these events (if ever) it's all over

I have noticed that of late Greg North is emailing members with this sort of information (I suppose those with email addresses) and this is really appreciated.

As I have said this is just an idle thought and perhaps not feasible, It will be interesting to see if others have any ideas along these lines.

Cheers Terry

william williams

Re: Just a thought

Post by william williams » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:38 pm

oh bugger it :lol: :mrgreen: :shock:
Last edited by william williams on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:08 pm

G'day Terry ... if you take a look at the "Events" page on the ABPA Website you'll see a host of events ... if organisers sent me the 'simple' info (similar format to what's on the current page) I can post it with alacrity ... :)

Terry

Post by Terry » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Hi Manfred,
Yes I understand and appreciate your situation of trying to get the required information for the magazine and have absolutely no complaint with any aspect of what I think is an excellent product, and dips me lid to all involved.
I was, as mentioned, idly wondering if there was someway of promoting some of the smaller comps, so that a few of us could put in a odd entry to help support them. Quite a few seem to take place without many knowing about them. It just seems a pity to me that some of these comps are struggling and in some cases have ceased to exist.
As I said before I don't know if anything can be done to help promote them, but was interested in the views of other members.

Cheers Mate,

Terry

Terry

Post by Terry » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:04 pm

G/day Bill old mate,
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I guess a lot of the problem is that these groups are run by small handful of dedicated volunteers who are always desperately shorthanded and simply haven't got the time to do everything themselves. We have quite a large group over here but are finding it almost impossible to replace anyone through lack of volunteers, so a dedicated few are holding things together by the skin of their teeth so to speak.
I'm away in a few weeks so wouldn't be able to enter many myself but others might, we don't want to lose any more groups or comps etc. but as I said - just a thought.

Cheers - Terry

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:25 pm

Terry, I was talking about the main ABPA WEBSITE ... :)

william williams

Post by william williams » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:59 pm

Hi terry Yes it is true and I agree but as for my last post I ended up scrubbing it I thought what is the use let them go their own ways some just don't want help and thanks they were good queastions and try the ABPA Webb Page as it does have some answers but as I said to many shut their mouths for obvious reasons

Good luck mate you write some good stuff
Bill the old Battler

Terry

Post by Terry » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:22 pm

Hi again Manfred & Bill
Yes, I somehow wandered of the track, I don't know what happened there, seems I was talking in tongues (again)
I started of meaning the ABPA website. Anyway what I meant to ask, was there someway in promoting those smaller comps & festivals that don't make it to the Abpa Website events calendar.
I was just curious after recently becoming aware of a few comps and festivals I'd never even heard of; Just idle curiosity really.

Cheers Terry

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:59 pm

The short answer is Yes, Terry. Was also thinking the same thing. When something is sent to me, I can usually get to it (and post) within a couple of days if not quicker. Saves me rooting around looking for stuff. Just remember I do work full-time (AND crap hours). Be nothing greater than to see pages of events on our web-site.

Send it on in ... :)

Terry

Post by Terry » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:15 pm

Thanks Manfred,
I know what you mean, it's all left to the willing few, and there are only 24 hours in the day, keep up the good work mate.

Cheers Terry