Another school visit...

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Stephen Whiteside

Another school visit...

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:33 pm

I'm probably not about to say much that hasn't already been said, but here goes anyway.

Yesterday I gave a poetry presentation to 78 Yr 6 students in a private school in Melbourne's outer suburbs.

I asked if they knew any poems by Banjo Paterson. One child mentioned Waltzing Matilda. No-one knew any poems.

A girl had read Lawson's "The Drover's Wife" and "The Loaded Dog", because her mother had showed them to her.

That's about it.

That said, they were an enormously responsive and enthusiastic bunch. My own poems went down very well, and when I asked them to write and perform their own material, they threw themselves into it with great gusto.

A lot of poems began "Roses are red, violets are blue..."", but by no means all.

A couple stuck in my mind as being very clever and inventive.

I was a bit put off at first, because the kids were all seated on the floor, and I didn't know how they'd be able to write - but then they pulled out their iPads, and everything was hunky dory. (I am reliably informed that only private schools would be able to provide all the kids with iPads, however.)

I should also add that the poetry teaching for these children was only about to begin. Perhaps they'll be a little better informed after it.
Last edited by Stephen Whiteside on Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Re: Another school visit...

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:09 pm

Welli if anyone can grab their attention Stephen I think it would be you - you have an impressive list of your own work with which to woo them - will be interesting to see your report at the end of the exercise. The Ipswich Poetry Feast is open for entries and you might be able to steer some of them in that direction if they show promise and I would be happy to publish any of their work in the TAT Poetry mag if you think it will help the cause - we can set up a few pages detailing the journey...just something to think on if you feel it will offer some inspiration. Good on you for taking up the challenge.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:28 pm

Thanks, Maureen. The teachers were planning on printing a couple of the kids' poems in the school paper. They will send me a copy. I might then suggest they pass the poems on to you and TAT also.

Heather

Post by Heather » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:07 pm

I'm impressed one child knew about Waltzing Matilda. I'm sure you would have sparked some interest Stephen and at least some of them will be googling away on their IPads.

Heather :)

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:41 pm

Quite possibly, Heather. They were great kids.

Heather

Post by Heather » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:44 pm

Maybe you inspired just one child today Stephen. That's a nice thought isn't it?

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:26 pm

Yes. Or two. That would be twice as good!

Heather

Post by Heather » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:31 pm

How many kids did you say Stephen? This could go on all night! ;)

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:30 pm

Afternoon all,

A series of picture books as been brought to my attention featuring 'Waltzing Matilda', 'Mulga Bill's Bicycle', 'The Man From Snowy River' and I can't recall the other title but I'm sure there were four. These are a very glossy production with an illustration on each page accompanied by a line from the poem. They are available at the $5 book shop near me. I have obtained a copy of the three that were in stock and am going to the school tomorrow to donate them to the library. I will offer a recital and see how they respond.

Ralph Scrivens, our current state reciting Champion, and member of Illawarra Breakfast Poets, had already done this and the school was delighted with his performance. He gave them a week or so to become familiar with the poems before he went in person. He said there were a couple of kids who had learned one of the poems and got up and gave a fair rendition. If I get a good response from this school, which is where my grandchildren go, I may approach one of the other two primary schools within my suburb. I am only too happy to invest this small amount of time and money to expose a generation to at least a small snippet of Australian Rhyming poetry. If I get the chance I may even give them 'Nasty Nancy'. The Children at Toolangi seemed to like it.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:37 pm

I loved Nasty Nancy - the kids would have a ball with it Zondrae - surely the school would not be churlish enough to knock back such a generous offer I'd be thinking they would be delighted to take you up on it.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.