Reading poetry

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Dave Smith

Re: Reading poetry

Post by Dave Smith » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:34 pm

Tanks muchly Manfred. :)

Maureen yes I deserved that. :shock:

Yoda my buddy is (and like Micky Mouse he's true)

TTFN 8-)
I Keep Trying

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:33 pm

I agree with Manfred, some things are best avoided, but I like George Orwell, (I'm drawing on my unreliable memory here ) who wrote a list of rules for good writing, his last rule was.... break all the rules rather than write something banal.

Did you know folks that the correct indigenous name for the city of Bankok is :
Krungthepmahanakornamornrattanakosinmahintarayutthayamahadilokphopnoparatrajathaniburirom-
udomrajaniwesmahasatharnamornphimarmavatarnsathitsakkatattiyavisanukamprasit.
:lol: true

Sorry Glenny, I'm going now. :roll: ( did you notice there's an avatar in there ? )
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:48 pm

Nevie, Nevie, Nevie, appropriate capitalisation and spacing please ..
Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Yuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Phiman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

Translated to: "The city of angels, the great city, the eternal jewel city, the impregnable city of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukarma". ... :)

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:17 pm

:mrgreen: :roll:
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:14 am

G'day Manfred,

I was just about to ask what that means when you have provided the answer.
Thank you, oh Illustrious Leader.

(Now does illustrious mean 'one who shines a light on things?' It would be most appropriate if it did. Now where is that dictionary.)

edit: nope! it means 'well known' 'highly regarded' - I like my definition better.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:01 am

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Yuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Phiman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

Actually means: City of a million two stroke motor bikes That never cease moving City of impenetrable smog Too many people Endless traffic jams Noise pollution and heat Sad apology for the beautiful city I knew forty eight years ago that cries for its lost beauty

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:30 am

Thanks Zondrae, but I think Vic's (Bankok) definition is, by far, the more accurate ... :)

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:13 am

Vics probably got a Funk and Wagnells definition Manfred :lol:
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:10 pm

... Nahhh, the Lonely Planet (or should that be Crowded Planet) version

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:33 pm

Actually my version is based on my recollections of the beautiful city I knew in the early sixties as compared to the city I found when I went back about five years ago. Bangkok was renowned as one of the nicest and most interesting cities in Asia with wonderful canals, floating markets, marvelous architecture and culture. Then it had a population of about four million now it has at least twice as many people. The canals and floating markets are all but gone and the few canals left are so polluted that you are warned not to let the water touch your skin! Traffic and smog make it almost impossible to travel more than walking distance from your hotel within the city and it really bears little resemblance to what it once was.