2014 Prime Minister's Literary Award for Poetry

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Gary Harding

Re: 2014 Prime Minister's Literary Award for Poetry

Post by Gary Harding » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:42 pm

Thanks for all the inputs fellow ABPA'ers ! Many thanks :) Much appreciated.

Whether we see things the same way on a topic or not isn't particularly relevant to me. It would be a dull world if we all agreed. :) Robust discussion clears the brain!

I basically just appreciate that people who likely have lots to do, take the time to provide various thoughts on a subject that I consider extremely important. Far more important than the good old "what do we mean bush" which will always do for a discussion if there is nothing on TV! :)

I confess I did not expect the support among genuine Bush Poets for that poem that there was, and that speaks volumes for me.

In order to confirm my belief that I was simply a gentleman with a normal sense of decorum rather than "a prude".. (perish the thought of a Prudish Poet!)...I have canvassed a range of people I know and whose opinions I truly respect.

Overwhelmingly their views have supported precisely what I have said. It was reassuring and nice.

Oddly it has been the ladies who have been most outspoken in their condemnation.

WOW! If you reckon I am savage and a prude, you should hear what they have said.

I would love to repeat their many adjectives but I have dealt with this sufficiently for my own purposes... got from it on this forum exactly what I wanted.

One thing it has confirmed for me is that Ladies actually have things that they consider private and very very personal. No-go areas. "How could anyone dare write that, let alone a woman!".
Perhaps that privacy drops away when they are in a doctor's office, I don't know...but I am not talking about that situation obviously.

Anyway, this posting-exercise was just Step One for me... the curtain-raiser on the Main Event.

That interesting stage is still to come, and will not be reported on here.

"A woman at 40 weeks gestation contemplates her undergarments"

"Oh God, is it wet down there again?
What oozing mystery awaits me now?
This better be the ‘show’. You lucky men,
Your effort is so brief – wham, bam, kapow!"

Yeah great stuff for sure.... should be more of it, eh???

Well not according to all the (very outspoken) LADIES I have spoken to with no agenda other than insisting on common decency and respect. :)

Cheers, Gary

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:54 pm

Gary your comments are judgemental in the extreme.

Like Stephen, I found those four lines to be written in a tongue in cheek way. Hard to say without seeing the rest of the poem. It could have been quite a funny poem or a serious one.
I confess I did not expect the support among genuine Bush Poets for that poem that there was, and that speaks volumes for me.
What is a "genuine" bush poet Gary. And what "volumes" did it speak to you?

What constitutes "a lot of people" and what age were these "lot of people"?

Not only have you taken what seems to be a perverse delight in repeating the four lines here several times, you have presumably gone about town repeating the lines to "ladies". Did the "gentleman" in you not consider that this was ungentlemanly? Did you enjoy seeing the "ladies" squirm?

You are also insinuating that the person who wrote the poem is not a "lady". Just because the lady is not shy in writing about these things does not make her any less a lady. Personally, I would not talk about such things to my friends but I have a midwife friend to whom this is everyday talk and she is no less a lady than I am.

Manfred wrote a poem about sanitary products. It was funny (once again laughter for an awkward topic) but it didn't make Manfred any less a gentleman!

I'd suggest the problem is yours Gary, not the person who penned the poem.

Heather

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:33 pm

:lol:
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:30 pm

Then the problem must be mine as well because I find that offensive as well and as most of you know I've got a hide as thick as a Rino.

I may not agree with all that you have said Gary but I do agree with that bit and your right to present your view.

I have taken the time to read some of Melindas poem and some are quite funny quirky and others what I would call deep.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:04 pm

That's exactly the point some of us have been trying to make Bob. What one person likes, another dislikes (I don't like hairy men; Maureen does! She can have the lot of'em!) and we are all entitled to our opinions. What we need to recognise is that just because we have an opinion, that doesn't make it the "right" one. As Marty said, if it's not your cup of tea, you move on - gracefully. :lol:

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:45 pm

All 'hairy men' take one step forward :lol:
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:44 am

Well I think I have said sufficient to make my personal stance on crudity and shock effect in poetry completely beyond doubt... for what that is worth. Geez I tend to hammer a point don't I ?

In the end we all love our Bush Poetry and that is a wonderful bond that ties us all together here.

Robust discussions with no rancour...

Let me reach out over the net and give everyone a BIG Christmas HUG... plus a bonus (chaste) kiss for all the wonderful and very talented female poets too!

Time for a morming coffee and then off to fix two faulty electrical switches in the house without getting electrocuted hopefully.

Yeah, I know.. turn off the power first!

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:30 am

Notwithstanding the perceived crudity and vulgarity of the quoted poem, if this is what is judged as the best poetry in Australia, we are indeed in deep trouble.

Heather

Post by Heather » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:57 am

You don't get off that easily Gary. You didn't answer my questions and there'll be no group hugs until you do. I am woman hear me roar! :)

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:22 am

There's no alliteration in that Heather!
How about ...

I am Girlie, hear me giggle, :)
I'm a Sheila, hear me shriek ... :D
I am Woman hear me whine? :lol: