Rhyming verse vs bush verse

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Stephen Whiteside

Rhyming verse vs bush verse

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:41 pm

The recent discussion about what children are writing - which led to some further speculation on the future of the bush poetry movement - reminded me of another group of writers who write rhyming verse, but not necessarily bush verse.

These are the writers for children.

There are a number of writers for children who write rhyming verse. One such is Jackie Hosking. Jackie has been writing rhyming verse for many years, but she is not a member of the ABPA. Indeed, Jackie offers a manuscript assessment service for aspiring rhymers. She also runs a competition for rhyming verse.

Many of Jackie's poems have been published in magazines and anthologies over the years. More recently her poem, "The Croc and the Platypus", has been published as a picture book by Walker Books. (Walker also published my book.) It is an Aussie take on Edward Lear's classic poem "The Owl and the Pussycat", and it has been magnificently illustrated by Marjorie Crosby-Fairall. It would make a great Christmas present for grandchildren.

Further information can be found here:
http://www.walkerbooks.com.au/Books/The ... 1922077608

No, I am not being paid by Jackie to write this advertisement. I am simply making the point that, while we may worry about the future of bush poetry, the future of rhyming verse would be appear to be quite healthy. No doubt a number of today's children will eventually write rhyming verse for children themselves when they grow up.

Jackie's web-site can be found here:
http://jackiehoskingblog.wordpress.com

It would not be difficult to argue that "The Croc and the Platypus" is in fact bush verse.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Zondrae

Re: Rhyming verse vs bush verse

Post by Zondrae » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:47 am

Morning Stephen,

May I say 'good on you' for all your efforts in writing for children. People may think it is easy to write for kids. Well it isn't. They are very discerning.

Whether children should be 'taught to write poetry in verse'- well my real view is that they should be encouraged to write (full stop).
When they are a little older they could be encouraged to explore the differences in forms of poetry but the underlying thing should always be.... write, write, write. Let them discover the wonderful world of words. They don't need any rules at first. They only need someone to say, 'great story' or 'good choice of adjectives' etc.
It can be left til much later in their schooling to introduce the definitions and uses of various literary tools.

There will always be the few who fall in love with this magnificent English Language of ours. It will be from these we find our next generation poets.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:17 pm

Thanks, Zondrae. I could not agree with you more.

One little story. Many years ago I gave a poetry presentation in a primary school. One of the teachers left in the middle of my show with a black frown on her face. She returned shortly after with the principal, who looked equally black. They sat politely through the rest of my performance looking extremely unimpressed.

At the end, after all the kids had left (looking very happy and smiling) I asked them if there was a problem.

"But you didn't teach them anything!" was the reply.

I was gobsmacked. Somehow, I had thought a presentation of poetry from a writer of poetry would be quite sufficient. Silly me.

Since then, I have always made sure that any school that wishes to book me is fully aware of all things I DON'T do as well as the things I do. Even this is not foolproof, however. There seems to be an emphasis on TEACHING poetry these days, which I find works rather against the very spirit of poetry. Poetry should be enjoyed first, and analysed later, much later - if ever. Quite frankly, I think it is probably a mistake to attempt to do anything more in primary schools than simply expose children to different forms of poetry.

warooa

Post by warooa » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:24 am

I agree . . . our young kids curriculum is sometimes too results-based. The teacher and Principal would have rather heard you tutorialise them on assonance or alliteration and razzle dazzle their little minds with the differences between simile and metaphor . . . . rather than just trying to channel the joys of words and stories.

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:54 am

Precisely.

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:41 pm

Oh yes,

I too agree. It took me a couple of years of scratching my head and almost bashing it against a brick wall, to come to the place where I think I am just beginning to 'get' metre. How could a ten year old understand it. Where are the rules written down that tell you where the stresses belong on words? it it trial and error... with me mostly error. I still consider myself a learner.

But the children are discerning. A year or two back I entered the 'adults writing for children' section of the Toolange comp. The judges placed me second. Then they gave the poems to the children to judge.. guess what.. again second. So those children at least understood what they were looking at.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:52 pm

mmmm. I think we need to weigh up the value in both. The initial introduction to verse...and...the 'teaching.' Not for a moment do I propose badgering the little ones with high faluting terms etc, however, I believe there is sooo much more that opening a child's eyes to the beauty of verse can actually 'teach'...depending on just how one goes about it. Children seem to have an inherent love of the rhythm in poetry and enthusiastically embrace it. In a workshop environment that is 'bingo!' step one achieved....getting their attention...and approval. Once you have that happening you can guide your 'lessons' accordingly. I have seen the most heartwarming personal growth results from somewhat disadvantaged children when they realise that: 1. Here's an adult (the presenter) who actually gives a damn about what I feel/need. 2. Here is a safe vehicle that I can use to express what I feel/need. 3. Here is an available path for me to receive acknowledgement and therefore feel pride in myself.

I don't teach poetry in schools. I teach 'believe in yourself.' I just use poetry to do this.

Yes, I do teach a very general and minimal use of meter (using a nursery rhyme.) Similarly for rhyme. Their little heads work at an enthusiastic pace to produce their first 'results'....which we share class wide. And we (theatrically) work our way through the processes until they have chosen from the list of subjects that they have proposed (with strictly 'no go zones like 'Fatty & Skinny' & for the boys..bodily functions!!) until each and every child formally presents their newly crafted jewell to the class....to subsequent thunderous applause. Lol.

Their little chests are puffed to bursting as they leave the presentation....as is my heart.

The most satisfying feedback I received (2nd hand) was from the mother of a troubled child, 'That woman changed my son's life.' This may sound over dramatic and a tad ambitious, but I assure you that, handled carefully, the presentation of poetry to young minds....especially teenagers!....is a solid gold self development/expressive tool.
School workshop 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:47 pm

Glenny Palmer wrote:I assure you that, handled carefully, the presentation of poetry to young minds....especially teenagers!....is a solid gold self development/expressive tool.
I agree with that Glenny. :)
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:09 pm

I can believe that Glenny ya changed mine :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!