Poetry Performance

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Neville Briggs

Poetry Performance

Post by Neville Briggs » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:31 am

After my attempts at public poetry performance I can relate very well to what the Hollywood man, George Jessel said;

"The human brain starts working at birth, and doesn't stop until........you have to give a public speech"
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

warooa

Re: Poetry Performance

Post by warooa » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:26 am

So it all went to plan :)

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:56 am

The more you practice the better you get Nev, I went to an awards function last night and the compere had no mic sense at all. It got so that I was counting the umms and ahhhs and not listening to what he was saying at all.

Keep at it mate, you know you have go it when you can stuff up and still recover.

Bob
Last edited by Bob Pacey on Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Heather

Post by Heather » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:44 am

I'm glad I wasn't sitting next to you Bob. :roll:

Brain freeze is paralysing Neville. I wonder why the brain does that? Interesting things, brains..

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:44 pm

I actually had a date last night Heather a beautiful young lady she was 36 so the age difference was close.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

warooa

Post by warooa » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:20 pm

Age difference was close? Close to Heather I presume you mean ;)

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:35 pm

I was thinking about this when I watched an ABC TV show called Strictly Speaking.
They have three contestants to give a prepared speech ( without notes ) for a couple of minutes, then scored by a judging panel. Then the same three are given a subject which they have to speak on ( without notes ) after a short preparation time, virtually impromptu. Scored again.
All in front of a live audience .I couldn't do it. They are really good.

The judging panel is Jean Kittson , Bob MaGuire ,Michael Gurr and Leigh Sales.

I thought it would be a good one for bush poets to watch, but it is on at 5am, bush poets wouldn't be alive at that time of day. ;)
Last edited by Neville Briggs on Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Neville

Heather

Post by Heather » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:36 pm

She was 36 but after a date with Bob she is 66! :lol: Don't tell her about the knickers thing Bobitybo :P

Heather

Post by Heather » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:40 pm

I was put on the spot to do a guided street tour (historical you understand) last Sunday. Once past the initial nerves and the fact that I hadn't prepared a thing (that's on account of not knowing I was going to be doing it! :roll: ), the brain kicked in. Speaking in public does practise but it's amazing how the brain does suddenly freeze when you have an audience.

Heather :)

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:49 pm

You did well :)

but that is slightly different isn't it? In a tour guiding, you should be able to engage the audience more informally with them interjecting with questions. And you only need to speak in short bursts, not make an argument or persuade a point of view.

I was talking to a friend the other day who said that she hated speaking to an audience, even to make short announcements. The horror for her was " I hate people looking at me " :roll: :)
Neville