'liked' is counted as one or two syllables ????????

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
tom mcilveen

is the word 'LIKED' classed as one or two syllables ?????

Post by tom mcilveen » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:11 am

is liked...2 syllables as in 'like' the 'ed' or counted as one ??? need it for a new poem i am working on. ALSO, WHEN IT COMES TO SYLLABLE COUNTIS THERE A SET NUMBER ??? IS 14,15,14 15 OK ??? OR IS 15,15,15,15 PREFERRED ?? IS THERE A MINIMUM OR MAXIMUM NUMBER OF SYLLABLES PER LINE ?? i assume i have to stay contant with whatever I establish in the first verse...throughout the poem ..Is there a set number of syllables that judges prefer for written poetry ???
regards
tom mcilveen

tom mcilveen

Kym

Re: is the word 'LIKED' classed as one or two syllables ????

Post by Kym » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:23 am

Liked is only one syllable because the 'ed' just sort of flows on from the 'k'. Helped, jumped, stirred, blocked, foaled, boomed, crooned, grouped, fussed, buzzed - all one syllable.

Mostly, adding 'ed' doesn't change the number of syllables, but sometimes it does - eg, wanted (want-ed), mended (mend-ed), loaded, folded, bonded, hooted, stranded, added ... hmmm, sorry to put so many words, but I'm running a quick bit of research ... it seems only words ending in 't' or 'd' gain an extra syllable with the addition of 'ed', whereas words ending in other letters stay one syllable when adding 'ed'. It seems to be that way anyway ... anyone got any further explanations???

And as far as your question re number of syllables, no there are no preferred syllable counts or line lengths as far as judging goes. As long as your metre is consistent and the emphasis is on the correct syllables, and the rhymes are spot-on, you form the pattern or structure of the poem yourself. Set the structure in the first verse and maintain the same structure in each verse. (However, experienced poets can vary things for effect, but until you are confident, stick to consistency.)

Having said all that, the most important thing to remember is enjoy writing. Don't stress over syllables, rhymes, metre, structure - write because you enjoy writing and have great stories to share. Only worry about all that technical stuff if your goal is entering competitions.

Have fun ...

Kym.

Peely

Re: 'liked' is counted as one or two syllables ????????

Post by Peely » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:25 am

G'day Tom

Only a single syllable in "liked". I will give an example of some lines written in iambic metre to show how the word might be used.

In iambic metre (where the syllables are arranged with a weak syllable before each strong), the syllable breakdown would look like this (strong syllables in bold):

I liked the look of her, I did.
She was a bonzer sort.
The problem though, she didn't think
that I was worth a thought.

Some dictionaries show a syllable breakdown for words and they can also help if you are unsure.

I hope that helps.

Regards

John Peel
John Peel - The Man from Gilmore Creek

Peely

Post by Peely » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:20 am

I have merged this topic with an earlier one to avoid duplications in responses.

Bellobazza

Post by Bellobazza » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:01 pm

And Peely will now explain for our edification how the "n't" of "Didn't", being a contraction of "not" lacks a vowel, yet remains a syllable!

:twisted: :twisted:

:oops: Sorry Tom. Couldn't resist. Syllable counts have their place, but make the STRESSES the main consideration, especially if you're just starting out. Where the emphasis falls and how often...these are the things to build on.

And welcome!
Cheers, Will.
"Each poet that I know (he said)
has something funny in his head..." CJD

Peely

Post by Peely » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:32 pm

G'day Will

I will hazard a guess and will say that it is because the letter prior to the 'n' is also a vowel and there is not a natural shift between the two ('d' and 'n' in this case). As you also find with non-contracted words like organism and rhythm as other examples.

Regards

John Peel

carol heuchan

Post by carol heuchan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:36 am

What a great reply, Kym. Goodonya,
carol

Kym

Post by Kym » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:58 pm

Well hello Carol!!! Welcome to the party. We look forward to more posts from you soon. And I'm tickled pink that your first post was to me, ME, MEEEEE .....

*** Mwah ***
(Manfred ... we need a kissy face please) ;)

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:35 am

Well, according to Banjo Paterson, the following holds true ...

survived = 3 syllables
arrived = 3 syllables

rogue = 2 syllables
collogue = 3 syllables

Don't believe me? Take a look for yourselves ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRQPdZ5F ... re=related