Help Please

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Heather

Help Please

Post by Heather » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:28 pm

I recently posted a poem entitled Growing Old With Grace in which I used the words performed and informed as a rhyme. I read recently that the consonant had to be different for the word to be a rhyme which is pretty obvious for single syllable words.

Informed and performed are multi syllable words where the stress falls on formed in both cases. Because the consonant is f in both cases, are they considered a rhyme? I'm thinking they are not rhymes.

Am I making sense?

I would really appreciate it someone had some advice on this please.

Heather :)

Zondrae

Re: Help Please

Post by Zondrae » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:14 pm

Heather,
Now I preface this with, " I am not the expert, but I am prepared to stick my neck out.".

To be a true rhyme with 'informed', a word should be something like binformed. I can't think of any words that would be a true rhyme. Like wise with preformed. In the case of these words, if I was really planning on a competition standard poem, I would find alternate words or rearrange the sentence, (if I could do it without making it convoluted) to avoid putting 'informed/performed' at the end. Or else find another way to express what you (I) wanted to say. Would 'told' or 'taught' and 'acted'/'recited' (?) fit in any way?

Now if we could have our 'Mother Hen' come in and give a real judges view it would be a fantastic lesson to us all.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:23 pm

Thanks Zondrae but even with binformed and informed the stress is still on formed and therefore no rhyme (I think).

If there was such a word as indormed for example then you have a rhyme indormed and informed.

It's the same as using sickly and quickly the rhyme is on the stressed syllable and the consonant is different.

Heather :?

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:04 pm

G'day Heather. Those words rhyme, no problem. :)

It's words with the same pattern but different stress that are not a good choice for rhyming
e.g. advance/balance.

The contemporary English poet John Whitworth writes finely crafted " metre and rhyme " poetry. In his book " Writing Poetry " ( A&C Black 206 ) he has a chapter on rhyme and he says in it
"And remember - never stop remembering - that poetry is not a matter of definitions and rules and right or wrong "

Neville
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:26 pm

"And remember - never stop remembering - that poetry is not a matter of definitions and rules and right or wrong "

I know, I know Neville, but I just want to KNOW!

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance- Confucius

Leonie

Post by Leonie » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:05 pm

I don't know either Heather but you made me curious so I put them into RhymeZone to see what they would say. According to them they do rhyme. But having said that they also rhyme informed with formed and I doubt that would be considered a true rhyme.

They rhyme words of one syllable with swarmed, warmed and stormed as well as formed, but every two and three syllable rhyme ends with formed.

It's an interesting question and I would like a judge's opinion on this one as well. I also like to 'know', :) even though I am likely to forget anyway.

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:20 pm

I am with you girls,

I too, need to know.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

warooa

Post by warooa » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:28 am

Heather said:

I won’t have liposuction or a tummy tuck performed,
my legs and bum are lovely - (I was recently informed).

Sounds pretty good to me.

Marty

Heather

Post by Heather » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:28 am

Marty how am I ever going to meet you now and keep a straight face? :lol:

Good to see you are still around. I thought you might have been washed away.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:54 pm

G'day Heather. John Whitworth has had a poem ( metred and rhymes ) published this month in Quadrant. page 44. He uses these words as end rhymes in three lines of his poem....
terminus
all the fuss
murderous

There you go Heather..no problem.

If anyone disputes the poetic authority of John Whitworth, all I can say is " they know not what they say"

Neville
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.