Audio

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Neville Briggs

Audio

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:51 am

Bill posted an audio of Dorothea Mckellar reading her own poem. It is very interesting to hear how a renowned poet meant their poem to sound.

If anyone wants to make the effort. Google.....ABC Radio Poetica and click on the program Christmas Lights. It is a 45 minute program that you can listen to or down load to MP3, a lot of very interesting poetry including rhyming bush poetry of a sort.

One very interesting item is a recording of Dylan Thomas reciting his own work " A child's Christmas in Wales " I always thought of him as a bit of a modernist bohemian, it was surprising to hear how he recites his work.

Immediately after the item on Dylan Thomas, there is a recording of comedian John Clarke reciting a send up, he calls it "A child's Christmas in Warrnambool " by Dylan Thompson :lol:
John Clarke's version is extremely witty and dare I say clever.

I think John Clarke's recital is very useful to bush poets to hear, because he shows how to transform a " high brow " free verse into the old laid back laconic Aussie bush style. John Clarke's very accurate observation of Australian family holiday culture is both hilarious and skilful. His imitation of Dylan Thomas's style is also hilarious and very very skilful.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

warooa

Re: Audio

Post by warooa » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:10 am

I agree, Nev. Clarke's Dylan Thompson poem is in his book 'The Even More Complete Book of Australian Verse'. It also contains poems by other such 'famous' poets as Rabbi Burns, Very Manly Hopkins, Fifteen Bobsworth Longfellow, R.A.C.V. Milne and Arthur 'Guitar Boogie' Patterson.

One of my favourites is The Accounting Cat by T.S. (Tabby Serious) Eliot.

Very off beat, funny and quite poetic both the rhyming and free verse stuff. The bio's on the poets are very droll and witty as well. Very 'John Clarke'.

Does any one else have this book?

Marty