Article on website and forum

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Heather

Article on website and forum

Post by Heather » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:46 pm

Ok people, listen up. I've been asked, dobbed in, volunteered, not exactly sure - to write an article for the Lawsonian - the newsletter of the Henry Lawson Memorial and Literary Society.

The article explains to their readership the advantages of this website and the forum to new poets, isolated poets etc.

What I would like is just a few words from a couple of people to say what it means to you, the value you see in it, how it has helped you and why you use it - that sort of thing.

I will just use your first names as ID. I can't guarantee it will be used (there may not be room) but it would back up my article.

Go to,

Heather :)

Heather

Re: Article on website and forum

Post by Heather » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:03 am

Come on you lot. How hard can it be? Trying to get other poets to use the site here. You might make some new friends! :)

Only one person has sent me comments... 10/10 Neville!

I love the ABPA forum because..... in 10 words or less.....

I love the ABPA forum because we get to see funny pictures.

I love the ABPA forum because I meet nice people who let me stay at their house and pat their dogs.

Oh, and there is some good poetry too! :D

See, easy

Now hurry up, I have to have this finished before I go away...

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:08 am

Umm, thanks Bob! I think. Maybe too much information! Should have warned me not to be drinking coffee when I read why you love the ABPA forum!

Very shy poets today..

william williams

Post by william williams » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:41 am

in a long and distant way Lawson started the ABPA Australian Bush Poetry good reading good variety
bill the old battler

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:02 pm

Thank you Bill. :)

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:35 pm

There are lots of things though that are good about it and of course these are only IMO and from my perspective.

Being able to read, listen and view so much diverse material totally free of charge is just wonderful, and the encouragement given even more so.

It just opens up a whole new world … one thing that I think is important is to try and give encouragement to new people who join and of course sometimes you think that maybe your comment will be worthless – but from the point of view of letting them know that someone has seen and liked what they have put up it is of course not worthless because it has created a connection with another person. That in itself is perhaps all the encouragement they need to go on and contribute more things as their confidence grows.

Help is readily available and willingly offered or so I have found. I have always received encouragement and support. More professional help has also been offered and gratefully received from those members who are themselves already performing or in more professional roles and by the more technical members of thel team. EG - Bill generously helped with Audio tape advice and downloading onto the forum

It is wonderful to not only make but also to meet new friends - people who have the same interests in Poetry as us. Doors and hearts are opened Australia wide to fellow poets. The great sense of fun and camaraderie on the site is terrific. Guaranteed to lift your spirits on a down day.

You have nothing to loose and much to gain by becoming a member of ABPA and it is a connection that you can flaunt with pride.

Cheers
Maureen
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:39 pm

Thank you Maureen.. some very good points there.

Terry

Post by Terry » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:17 pm

Hi Heather,
I think perhaps the fact that when joining the forum you are among like minded people with a love for Australian rhyming poetry, in it's self is reason enough to join.
Add to this that your poems will be read by an appreciative audience, many of whom are very skilled poets, who if asked will be only too pleased to help, or offer if it's needed.
You will also as Maureen has already stated have the opportunity to read a wide range of rhyming poetry on a number of subjects in various styles.
And last but not least if you have a thirst for learning more about writing poetry, you have certainly come to the right place.

Terry

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Thanks Terry. I will be able to use that.

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:30 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments. Below is what I have written. This section is not open to the public and I don't think many of you are members of the Henry Lawson Memorial and Literary Society so just sharing. I've left the comments off.

Australian Bush Poets’ Association (ABPA) Website
Bringing Bush Poets Together

In the past year I have won three highly commended awards for my poetry, including one at Bundaberg; won the Emerging Poet at Boyup Brook in WA in February this year and have had several poems published in the local newspapers. What an amazing, colourful, fun packed year it has been.

Just over two years ago I had no idea of metre and I’d never heard the term “bush poetry”. I knew that I liked rhyming and rhythmic poetry but I didn’t realise there was a name for it until I was encouraged to look at the Australian Bush Poets’ Association’s (ABPA) website. The rest is history.

Since then my life has been transformed. This year I have been to several bush poetry events and festivals including the Bundaberg Muster and Victorian Bush Poetry Championships and this week I will be jetting off to Morisset on Lake Maquarie for the Hunter Bush Poets’ Festival.

So, how did this transformation take place? Although I have some natural talent with words, I needed some guidance in learning accurate metre and rhyme (and I’m still learning). That came after I was introduced to the Australian Bush Poets’ Association (ABPA), and more particularly that wonderful group of people that use the ABPA website. I visited the website, read the poetry and the friendly banter and I was hooked!

The ABPA website is brimming with poetry writing tips from award winning bush poets such as David Campbell, Ellis Campbell, Noel Stallard and Glenny Palmer; information on bush poetry events; competition information with closing dates and entry forms; competition results; a poets’ forum and more.

However, it’s when you enter the forum that you discover the quirky and little-known world of funny, crazy and witty poets and a wealth of amazing poetry is revealed. I can safely say that everything I have learnt about writing bush poetry has come from the people and information on the ABPA website. Not only that, but I have made some wonderful new friends, been able to share my poetry and most importantly, get valuable feedback on my poetry in a non competitive setting. All of which has helped me to learn and improve my writing. I’ve now met quite of a few people that use the forum, have even stayed at the homes of some of them and would count many of them as my long distance friends.

USING THE FORUM
Australian Bush Poets’ Association website www.abpa.org.au

The website is easy to use and newcomers to the internet should not fear entering the site. It is safe and user friendly. First off you click on the “Forum” tab at the top of the Home Page. A new page shows “Link to Forum”. This will lead you directly into the forum where you can view various pages such as members’ poetry; events; users’ poetry; sections for war poetry and poetry for children; a section for yarns; lost poetry; an audio section and various other pages.

As a visitor to the website you are able to view these pages and all the posts but you cannot make any comments. I recommend that you register on the site. This is simply a matter of registering a user name (this could simply be your first name) and a password and your email address. There is no cost. No one viewing the site can see your email address and your security and privacy is of paramount importance to the site administrator. You do not have to reveal your surname or location to other users unless you wish to.

Once you have registered, you are then able to view and access the General Poetry Discussion and Off Topic Chit Chat sections and you can post your poems and make comments. This is where the fun and learning begins. The poets on the site are very friendly, welcoming, helpful and very passionate about their bush poetry. There is often robust discussion on poetry and poetry related topics but best of all is the encouragement and assistance you will receive if you ask for it (and sometimes when you don’t). The valuable feedback will undoubtedly help you improve your poetry if that is what you are after.

Not everyone that uses the forum is a writer. Some people recite poetry or simply enjoy reading it. Everyone that enjoys bush poetry is welcome.

There is also provision for private messages if you wish to send a message to another forum user and not reveal your private email address.

Bush poets are a rare breed and we are often isolated by distance. Poets in the larger populated centres are lucky enough to have writers’ or poetry groups; not so when you come from the rural areas of many parts of Australia. This is where the ABPA forum becomes invaluable in bringing poets together from all over Australia. Hopefully I will see you there…