Styles

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Ian A

Styles

Post by Ian A » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:19 pm

'Day All,
Just been reading the Ipswich Poetry Fest results. All good stuff but the one which took my eye was called "Our Home Australia" , a third by a lass in the 14-15 year group. Don't think that I have struck a layout like this before, can someone tell me if this style has a name?

Regards,
Ian.

Neville Briggs

Re: Styles

Post by Neville Briggs » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:38 pm

G'day Ian, I looked up the Ipswich Poetry fest.

What amazing and wonderful work there is, done by young people !!
I was stunned by their ability.

The poem you mentioned is just the usual metred and rhyming form.
As far as I can tell, it isn't a style, this young lady has simply arranged the rhyming scheme and varied the metre to suit her poetic voice.
And done it with an amazingly perceptive grasp of the rhythm of language for that theme. I wish I could do as well.

My belief is that the forms, layouts and supposed rules of poetry are like the ingredients in a cake recipe. Just a guide, if the cook can make the cake by adding more or less or handling the ingredients in a different way to the recipe. Well...the proof of the cake is in the eating..not in the ability of the cook to precisely follow the recipe.

Neville.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:06 pm

G'day Neville,

I looked up Ipswich poetry fest and found everything but the winning poems. Can you tell me where to look please.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Leonie

Post by Leonie » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:33 am

Some youngsters?? :D There were over 1200 entries 900 odd of which were from school kids, admittedly not all of them were strictly bush poetry but most of the winning ones from the kids did rhyme. Seems like the love of poetry is still alive and well in the school system.

Here ya go Zondrae, this should (hopefully) take you directly to list of winning poems, then you can just click on the title to read them.
http://www.ipswichpoetryfeast.com.au/2010/winners.htm

Ian A

Post by Ian A » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:48 am

Thanks for your thoughts Neville.

Ian