Fantabulous poetry at Benalla

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Heather

Fantabulous poetry at Benalla

Post by Heather » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:50 pm

All you who were not there, you will not understand.....

Just returned from a wonderful, incredible, fantastic and exhausting weekend at Benalla for the Vic Poetry and songwriting Championships. Wow, is all I can say. :)

Well, actually I can say a whole lot more and probably will. I'm putting this here so the appropriate people can comment in the appropriate place.

What a weekend of yarns, original poetry, poetry recitals, poets and excellent, beautiful music. The poetry and reciting were of an extraordianary quality - we have some amazing poets here in Victoria. :) I was blown away by the standard.

Saturday night we were entertained by Keith Potger of The Seekers fame. He hasn't lost it! At 70 the man can still knock out a tune. He gave a fantastic concert of old (Seekers) and new material plus some quirky material. Keith was entertaining very generous and is a really nice, humble man. Supporting acts were some very talented ladies who won prizes in the song section and they were amazing - could have listened all night!

The weekend was run really smoothly with excellent MCs (main one was Geoffrey W. Graham), a fantastic venue, some wonderful volunteers and some incredibly entertaining poets. Lots and lot of laughs.

And, and, and, I got to sell Keith's merchandise for the night and was appointed his "sales manager" for the evening! :) :) :) That'll look good on the resume won't it? ;)

So people, do yourselves a favour, put it in your diary for next year -this is one event not to be missed.

Heather :)

Bob Pacey

Re: Fantabulous poetry at Benalla

Post by Bob Pacey » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Ok full report required who were the featured poets and did you get up and have a go ???

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Heather

Post by Heather » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:23 pm

Bob, I'll leave the report to the appropriate people because I don't want to get anything wrong, especially names.

I read a couple of my poems at the poets' breakfasts on Saturday and Sunday and got some good feedback both days. I still get the shakes reading though - and I'm not overly nervous, I really don't mind reading but the shakes have a mind of their own. I can control the voice but not the hands and legs and I didn't have a lecturn to hide behind!

Main entertaining/MC poets - that I can remember - Geoffrey W. Graham, Col Milligan - what a character he is. I think the other was Col Driscol and Barry Tiffen.

Some of the competitors that really stood out for me were Barry Tiffen (who performed Kym's poem Sorry Laurie - all dressed up on drag), Maurie Founs- beautiful poet and of course Russell Heathcote from Gippsland who won the male championship. There were many others but I don't have my program - may have lost it :roll:

The women were excellent too but I can't remember names - I'm so tired and brain dead. Would hate to get them wrong. I'm sure Jan Lewis will pass the winners on to Manfred soon.

I did meet Susan Clark from Gippsland - we were both staying at the pub and shared transport - Susan won the encouragement award.

Oh and the kids. I didn't mention the kids. Unfortunately I missed the first couple because I was at lunch but the last girl was mind blowing. This girl of about 10 years of age who recited Andy's Return with all the hand actions and not a word wrong. She looked so comfortable on stage I"m sure she must have been born there. Absolutely amazing..

Heather :)

Heather

Post by Heather » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:43 pm

Forgot to mention. There will be a similar crowd at Corryong which I think is early April. Heard it is an excellent event. Be there or be square! :)