Score!

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Heather

Score!

Post by Heather » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:37 pm

Managed to buy myself some good second hand poetry books yesterday in Bendigo - fantastic little shop if you are ever there.

Bought the complete works of Henry Lawson (2 huge volumes for $45) - won't ever have to buy another Lawson book again now!

Also managed to get a collection of Henry Kendall poems (published 1957) and found the introduction on his life and his poetry extremely interesting. The poetry is bed time reading.

Also two biographies - one on Louisa Lawson and another on Banjo Paterson.

Did anyone know that there has been a new biography published on Louisa Lawson? Saw it at an airport recently. She was one incredible woman for her day - no, for any day.

That Mad Louisa: The Life Story of Louisa Lawson, an Outstanding Character in Australian History
Richard Handley

Reading biographies is a great way to get to know the poet and why they were writing about certain subjects.

Heather :)

Bob Pacey

Re: Score!

Post by Bob Pacey » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:41 pm

So we will not see you on the site for a while !!!!!! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Heather

Post by Heather » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:38 pm

I'm a quick reader Bob! Plus, being a woman I can multi- task! Handy that! :)

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:44 am

Reading poetry in bed is just ssoooooo over rated !!!

moo

Bob

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:53 am

Whilst Mum was here she came across two huge Coffee table books on Lawson and Paterson - both fully illustrated and beautiful and she bought them for me - they weigh a ton so reading them in bed is out, but on the back steps with a brew sitting in the sun, great way to while away an hour or so :lol: :lol:
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Heather

Post by Heather » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:51 pm

There you go Bob. Finished the book on Louisa Lawson Henry Lawson's Crusading Mother by Lorna Ollif. Found interesting although a bit light weight. The book does contain some interesting photographs though - of Henry Lawson's father Peter, of poet Henry Kendall, Peter Lawson (Henry's brother) remarkably like his older brother, and one of Henry with his young daughter Bertha.

Did anyone know (Manfred will know!) that Louisa Lawson took up a subscription for a memorial for the neglected grave of poet Henry Kendall? She even bought another plot of land next to Kendall's grave so that a large memorial could be placed there. However, more influential and wealthy women took over the project and bought another plot in another part of the cemetery and Kendall's body was exhumed and placed there. Which meant that Louisa was left with an empty plot of land in the Waverley Cemetery - a grave her son Henry was eventuallly to occupy. Louisa was buried two years earlier at Rookwood.

Heather :)

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:40 pm

Some of us have to WORK for a living.

So much to do I have to ?????

Then I'll go and get ????

Then play some games with the grandson number two ( Skateboard ) and watch the footy with number one and get my stuff ready for golf tomorrow and the bronco's play in a minute and Finish that wedding poem.

No time to read The Land Of Painted Caves and I've only got it for a week.

Footys started Let's Go Bronco's.

Bob

warooa

Post by warooa » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:05 am

Re: Score! Didn't the Broncos just do that, ay Bob . . .

Always great the second hand book shops, Heather - but that bio you bought are you sure it was Banjo Patterson (of Patterson's Banjo fame) or was it that poet bloke with just the one T? ;)

Marty

ps quick change it before Glenny starts scratchin!! :D

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:19 am

A wise word of warning Marty :lol:

Sound like good books Heather.

For Fathers' Day, my daughter gave me a recent publication of Paterson's poetry. It is illustrated with wonderful arty pictures.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Heather

Post by Heather » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:08 pm

You know Marty, I was lying in bed last night and realised that I had done the naughty two "t's". Didn't sleep a wink worrying about it and waiting for dawn to come so I could fix it up! :) Ssshhh, don't tell and no one will know the difference.