Is Bush Poetry getting 'Boring' ???

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Terry

Re: Is Bush Poetry getting 'Boring' ???

Post by Terry » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:25 am

IMO Your partly Right Manfred,
I wouldn't go so far as to say boring, but agree we should strive to enrich our poems as you suggest. (Glenny has been trying to get that message across for as long as I can remember).

I also think we could make better use of rhythms, one I really like is x/xx/xx/xx/

Here's a couple of lines from the 'Butcherbird's Song' I'm not suggesting this is a world beater, but this almost musical rhythm has always appealed to me.

While colours are plain in the dawns hazy light,
he's white as the snow and as black as the night,

Dressed up in pied colours, he flies 'long the track,
and heralds the dusk as it shrouds the outback.

I agree with Neville it' s good subject,

Terry

Terry

Terry

Re: Is Bush Poetry getting 'Boring' ???

Post by Terry » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:47 pm

Have another look at Henry Kendalls Bell Birds Marty, It's written with much the same meter as that example I gave.
But you do raise a good point, if we stick to the tried and proven and do it REALLY WELL we'll still end up with some worthwhile poems.

I also think that if people get over involved in any sort of poetry some tend to get negative about it, possibly why over the years some have moved onto free verse etc, which in time will (if they live long enough) also become boring. I suspect that painting and music have suffered much the same fate.

We humans are like that, otherwise we probably wouldn't have advanced to where we are to-day (for better or worse)

Cheers Terry