More about rhymes

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Terry

Re: More about rhymes

Post by Terry » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:30 am

G/day Marty,
That's a very good point, it had me quickly running through the poem to check. fortunately I hadn't used it again or agen,
it's little things like that which can so often catch you out.

It's amazing how you can read someones poem and pick up most little errors but completely miss the same things in your own.

We're very fortunate to have experienced people Like David and Glenny to call upon, as well as the whole crew of regulars who are always happy to pass on anything they think may help.

Terry

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:54 pm

Just out of curiosity - were you to write a piece that had say two characters speaking within it - one an old bushie who might well say 'agen' and the other perhaps a magistrate who would certainly say ' again' - providing the vernacular was kept pertinent to whoever was speaking at the time - would that be acceptable??????
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:15 pm

Hi Maureen

It's a good question. Here's an example where it could work:

The old bloke stood and bowed his head.
"I ain't like other men
wot knows the law 'cause they're well-read...
I won't do it agen."

The magistrate said: "Oh, indeed!"
and sniffed with great disdain.
"So take six months, with time to read,
and don't come back again!"

This also illustrates the different ways in which "read" can be pronounced, and the importance of having the questionable word as the second of the rhymes.

Cheers
David

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:43 pm

JE NE SAIS QUOI

I got this poem written out
and had the rhyme just so, but then
I found a gremlin in the rhyme
and had to set it out again.
This process caused me quite some pain;
to have to do the work again.
They say, a poem's not what's written;
a poem's what you have rewritten.
So, I must now take up the strain
of thinking out those lines again,
and when I'm done, let's hope that when
I check it; it's not wrong again!!!
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:07 pm

Thanks David your explanation is very clear - confess that something like this would not even have crossed my mind, a lot of things that are bought up here don't cross my mind - I am definitely one of the simple brigade Marty problem that is more than half of my problem. :lol: :lol:
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Terry

Post by Terry » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:03 pm

Hi David & Maureen,
There are lots of little things that can trip you up, but I think it's fun trying to learn them.

Hi Marty,
I understand what you're saying.
But that's poetry for you, we all have differing likes and dislikes.
I must be a masochist because I actually enjoy the challenge of trying to to get things as perfect as possible, I doubt I will ever quite manage it, but I certainly enjoy trying. (I probably write some of those dogs you mentioned mate)

Cheers Terry

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:13 pm

aaaooooooohhhhh join the club Marty. The bit i enjoy the most is the smiles on peoples faces when you hit them with a funny twist to a poem. The poem itself might not be perfect and far from it but thats what does it for me.

One day when i get some time I might learn all that fangled stuff.

Having too much fun at present.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:17 pm

I guess I have a foot in both camps.

I strive to produce a good written poem but I also know, that some of the poems I have had prizes for, will never be suitable to perform because they are too long and detailed. (and not all that entertaining) So as we have said over and over.... there are the ones that are good to perform and then there are the other ones. I think the trick in to know the difference.

.. and then there are the exceptions that are both.... and there is the real skill.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Terry

Post by Terry » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:15 am

Hi Zondrae,
Your right of course, not all poems are really great to recite, conversely some poems that are good recital pieces aren't all that flash to read either.
I think the thing to remember is that for most of us just do this as an enjoyable hobby, a few do it professionally but not many. There are some who really enjoy having a go at reciting but there are others who simply enjoy writing the odd poem.

As for what style different people choose to write in, that's their choice and that's how it should be.

I really enjoy listening to some of the audios that are backed by music regardless of their technical merits which I don't even think about, it's the same with a really top notch reciter they're great to listen to. But I must admit that when it comes to reading a poem it's always a pleasure to read a good poem that is really well written. I remember when I first started in bush poetry I looked up the W.A. bush Poets website and read a few poems there and was really captivated by one of Irene Connors, the words just seemed to flow.

Terry