Off with their heads !

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Neville Briggs

Off with their heads !

Post by Neville Briggs » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:34 pm

Heather put on a post about the capture of bushranger Mad Dog Morgan and mentioned how after Morgan's execution his head was severed and taken to Professor Halford at Melbourne University.
Heather asked what purpose would there be for Professor Halford to acquire Morgan's head.

In the 19th century there was a putative scientific theory called Phrenology. Basically it was a sort of pseudo- psychology theorising that peoples brains and minds affected the shape of their skull. The theory was started bya German physicist Franz Gall.
It was thought that the criminal mind would be revealed in the shape of the criminal's skull and so Mad Dog Morgan, Ned Kelly and Joe Governor; three bushrangers that I know of, had their heads taken for examination to determine if their supposed criminal minds were revealed in their cranial measurements.

I mention this here on the poetry discussion because Banjo Paterson refers to phrenology twice in his poem " The Man from Ironbark "
In the line where the barber jokes...
'And as he soaped and rubbed it in he made a rude remark,
" I s'pose the flats is pretty green up there in Ironbark "

A play on words from river flats pasture ...to "flats " referring to flat heads of doltish country yokels and " pretty green " referring to being naive.

Also in this poem Banjo Paterson writes
" There were some gilded youths that sat along the barber's wall,
Their eyes were dull ,their heads were flat,they had no brains at all ;"

another reference to phrenological ideas about head shapes revealing character.

We still retain a vestige of this old idea when we talk about close set eyes, low brow and high brow and thick skull.
Actually when I see some of the footballers I wonder if there isn't something to this theory after all. :o
Last edited by Neville Briggs on Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Bob Pacey

Re: Off with their heads !

Post by Bob Pacey » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:02 pm

Methinks you have a bit too much time on your hands Neville

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Heather

Post by Heather » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:16 pm

It is very interesting Neville. The second part of the article in the Kilmore Free Press was about phrenology and that is exactly why Morgan's head was being send to the good Professor. The article was long and I had had enough of typing on the lap top by then...

If I recall correctly (it's been a while), there is a display in the Old Melbourne Gaol about phrenology and some casts of some outlaw skulls.

I wonder what happened to Morgan's head? Could it be in the vaults under Melbourne Uni I wonder?

Heather :)

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:14 pm

Glad to hear that you are thinking Bob..keep up the good work..... ;)

I don't know about the fate of Morgan's head Heather. I think there is a bit of a tale attached to the travels of Ned Kelly's skull.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Heather

Post by Heather » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:25 pm

Ned's head got lost somewhere I think. I know the archaeologist that dug up part of the Old Melbourne Gaol before it was redeveloped a few years ago. He gave a talk to the local historical society a few years ago on the subject. I think they did find some skeletal remains near the fence but couldn't confirm whose they were. Can't quite recall - must pay more attention. I know they found dog remains.

The cast of Ned Kelly's head is one of those in the Old Melbourne Gaol I think.

I have a local tale about Ned Kelly. His uncle Jimmy Quinn is supposed to have been put on trial in the Kilmore Courthouse (the home of our historical society) and Keith McMenomy in his book has a photo of the current courthouse and a caption that says Jimmy Quinn was on trial there in 1863. BUT, what McMenomy didn't know, is that the present (old) courthouse wasn't built until 1864 and the first one burnt down in 1862.

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:43 am

That's very interesting, Heather. There is also some uncertainty about where Red Kelly was imprisoned - either Avenel, or the closest larger town - probably Kilmore again, I think.

Talking of severing heads and sending them to England, it was very popular for the Aboriginal resistance fighters also - Pemulwuy on the east coast, and another on the west who's name currently escapes me. There was an excellent doco about him recently on the ABC.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:49 am

Jandamarra, that's who I'm thinking of!

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:50 am

Also known as 'Pigeon'.

Heather

Post by Heather » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:53 am

Stephen someone was in the Kyneton lockup. I recall someone telling me Ned was in the Kilmore Gaol with Harry Power and for some reason I knew that couldnt' be true so did a bit of digging and it was the Kyneton lockup - possibly the one associated with the courthouse. I think they were being held on some minor charge.

I'm not sure about Red. I don't think he was in any major problems before leaving Beveridge. Do you have a copy of Keith McMenomy's book? It's very good. I'm about to go out but will check later (if the cold doesnt make me forget!)

Heather :)

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:12 pm

No, I'm talking about after Beveridge, in Avenel, when he was accused of killing a calf that had strayed onto his property. This is around the time of the famous 'green sash' incident. Red died and was buried in Avenel, as you probably know. Peter Carey has Red in prison in Avenel, talking to young Ned through the walls. Don't know if this is true or not. Yes, I have McM's book. Have for many years. It's great.