Off with their heads !

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Stephen Whiteside

Re: Off with their heads !

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:38 am

Interesting.

It looks like my copy of the book was published in 1984.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:59 am

Stephen my copy says first published: Currey O'Neil Ross P/L 1984 but my copye published 2001 by Hardie Grant Publishing.

Frank Daniel

Post by Frank Daniel » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:04 pm

'Ned Kelly's skull' handed to authorities
13 Nov, 2009 09:57 AM
A skull purported to be that of Ned Kelly has been handed to medical authorities, more than 30 years after the bushranger's skull was stolen from the Old Melbourne Jail.
However it is expected to take more than a year to determine if the remains are in fact those of the infamous outlaw.

Tom Baxter, a farmer from Derby in remote Western Australia, handed the skull to the Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine this week.

He has had the skull for years, but has not revealed how it came to be in his possession.

The skull was stolen from a glass cabinet in the Old Melbourne Gaol in 1978, and its whereabouts has remained a mystery since then.

Mr Baxter told ABC Radio his decision came after the discovery in Melbourne last year of a grave believed to contain Ned Kelly's headless skeleton.

"It seemed like an appropriate time that the skull be reunited with the bones in an effort to properly bury him,'' he said.

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/20 ... -kelly.jpg

What a big head! Eh,?

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:07 pm

Two and a half years later Frank. I wonder what happened?

Heather

Frank Daniel

Post by Frank Daniel » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:14 pm

Hello Heather,
If you google 'ned kelly's skull' you will find lots of material.
Wishing you well,
Joe

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:16 pm

Thanks Frank. You too. Thanks for the jokes!

Heather :)

Dave Smith

Post by Dave Smith » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:29 am

Neville
I like reading your posts, you range across a lot of interesting subjects some I know of and some I do not.
Phrenology; Most people I know still look a people and judge what type of person they are by the way they look.
Next time I recite “The Man from Ironbark” I will see it through different eyes.

Stephen and Heather
Heads going to England, there is another in W A “Yagan” from the Swan River area was shot and beheaded in 1833, his head was taken for the bounty placed on it because of some murders, the reward was ₤320 a lot of money for the early settlers. Yagans head was kept in a museum in London for about 130 years and then buried,

Over the years, the Noongar asked for repatriation of the head, both for religious reasons and because of Yagan's traditional stature in the culture. In 1993 the burial site was identified. Four years later officials exhumed the head and repatriated it to Australia. Since 1997, the indigenous people of the Perth area argued over how to treat Yagan's head in a respectful way. They finally buried it in July 2010, in a traditional Noongar ceremony in the Swan Valley in Western Australia, 177 years after Yagan's death.

I also know the story of “Jandamarra” and have been to his stamping ground and walked in the places he walked. Cool hey.

TTFN 8-)
I Keep Trying

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:48 am

Good on ya Dave, thanks. There's some interesting things tucked away in the old bush poems.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:51 pm

Yeah, Dave. Cool.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:18 pm

Spooky Marty! :lol: