Index of Poetry for a Poet

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Peely

Index of Poetry for a Poet

Post by Peely » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:18 pm

G'day All

I have had a thought on how this can be done. I am going to have a play around with this here by doing an index of all of the poems that I have posted on the forum.

To set this up, you need to start a new topic.

Start by entering a line like, "Below are all of the poems on these forums by John Peel:"

Then open a new tab/window in your browser and load up this forum. Go into the "View Your Posts" link on the top RHS of the screen by clicking the link. Look for the topics where you are the author - you should hopefully be able to recognise the ones that are your poems. If you are unsure, click the link to see and hit the back button on your browser if it is not a poem to go back to the list. For the ones that are poems, click the link to open and copy the URL from the browser.

Go back to the original tab/window where you started the new topic. Click the URL button at the top of the post window. After the URL text in the first bracket, hit the = key, then paste (ctrl v). In between the brackets, type the name of the poem. It should look something like this:

(url=viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1282)A Bushman Slowly Dying(/url)

To illustrate the above, I have swapped the square brackets with round ones.

Repeat the process for each poem. As you put new poems up, edit the post to add the new links. You can then post to let others know that updates have been made if you wish.

Regards

John Peel

Below are all of the poems on these forums by John Peel:

A Bushman Slowly Dying
A 'Little' Aussie Romance
A Scent of Eucalyptus
And the Band Played
When the World Knew My Name
Where the Poppies Wave
John Peel - The Man from Gilmore Creek

Bob Pacey

Re: Index of Poetry for a Poet

Post by Bob Pacey » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:06 pm

Lost me John after the bit that said Start by entering a line like.

:lol: OOOHHH Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:47 pm

Thanks John,

Looks exciting to me.
I had an old friend I had not seen for at least 25 years, find me. You might wonder what this has to do with an index of poems well..
First he googled my name then he followed the link to the ABPA website and read the poem. Then, I'm not sure how (it was about 18 months ago now) but he contacted me.

If there had been an index (or list) of my poems he could have had a choice of all the poems I have ever posted to browse through. As it is he only found one, and read it several times, trying to figure out who I was talking about in the poem.

I'll have a go at your instructions and let you now how I get on. If I can get it to work any one will be able to.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Peely

Post by Peely » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:06 am

G'day Bob

It is not all that hard to do. You can even have three tabs/windows open with the ABPA forum loaded with these instructions open in one of them to help follow through the process.

G'day Zondrae

I have been asked the same question in the past regarding finding poems on the forums that I have written. The search function that the forum has seems to have its own limitations in what it will find.

I have tried to explain it in the simplest way. Hope that it all goes well.

Regards

John Peel
John Peel - The Man from Gilmore Creek