Who said..

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Zondrae

Who said..

Post by Zondrae » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:03 am

Who said they are not teaching poetry!

G'day all,

Now everyone has said that the schools are not teaching poetry - if this is so then how come I have two grandkids (not siblings, only cousins) that have both told me that certain words do or do not rhyme. Matilda is 7 and went through a long list of words that rhyme without any prompting at all. Calvin has sprouted a perfect rhyming couplet and said that is how real poems sound. He is 11. Both of these events have warmed my heart and were not prompted in any way by their doting, rhyming grandma.

Although I have pointed out to Calvin that some of the poetry competitions I have entered, besides having a junion section, also have small cash prizes. The word cash seems to spark some interest.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

keats

Re: Who said..

Post by keats » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:23 am

That's terrific Zondrae. I wonder if it's part of the curriculum in some schools or they have been blessed with a visit from a Noel Stellard or a Marco Gliori? It would be great to think that it is being taught and encouraged again in the schools. The kids love it and soak up the rhyme and rhythm like sponges.

Keep those kids at it. We will be needing them to prompt us as the years pass! lol

have a great day

Neil

Heather

Re: Who said..

Post by Heather » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:08 pm

Well you might be pleased to know that I am doing my bit too. I was at a birthday party last night and talking to a teacher of music at one of the local primary schools. The kids aren't taught an instrument but rhythm etc. discussed with her the use of rhyming poetry to introduce rhythm and then read my poem written for Kerrie's 50th to her.

Heather :)