Copyright

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Neville Briggs

Copyright

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:17 am

There has been a mention of copyright on this forum.

I have wondered if putting © has any legal effect at all. And even if it does, would it be worth the expense and effort to try and make a case out of any alleged infringement.

Speaking just for myself, I never bother to put the synbol in. I don't think my stuff is worth heisting and even if someone did, I doubt if it would be of any advantage to them.

I would be certainly annoyed if someone palmed off one of mine as theirs, but I wouldn't bother to engage in litigation, I would just make a bit of a protest.
I doubt if putting in a copyright symbol has any real legal effect.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Re: Copyright

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:16 am

Have often wondered about that as well Neville and think along similar lines - it is probably like most laws in this country - it will deter those who would not infringe rights anyway from even considering doing it, and for those who wouldn't give a toss anyway it won't make the slightest bit of difference..I have been just as guilty as many others are of using the odd photo from Google - but I do at least put up the tag to acknowledge the creator of it.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:23 am

Neville you have got it just about right! If you don't have the dough to pursue an infringement of your copyright what are you going to do?
However, I think it is worth marking your work with © to show that it is yours and to afford someone the opportunity to at least credit you with authorship of the piece.

Vic

Duncan Williams

Post by Duncan Williams » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:55 am

G'day Neville, yer i don't think the copyright notice wouldn't worry to much amongst us poets as we know each other work, have been around for years, and some of our poems have been around the world! i know some of my poems have been protected by International Copyright.

Duncan
Last edited by Duncan Williams on Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

william williams

Post by william williams » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:26 am

Your right Neville When you put the © sign on it at least you know it is yours regardless

bill williams

keats

Post by keats » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:40 pm

I can but shake my head at some of these comments. To ignore copyright is really cheapening your art. "no own will pinch my stuff because it's not good enough". What? A simple copyright symbol and name has stood up in poetry disputes in recent years, so don't cheapen our art form by ignoring the importance of copyright. Copyright is also free on written works if you follow a simple legal requirement. If you want your copyright to stand up to scrutiny then send your works to yourself in a sealed envelope sent by registered mail. File it and it WILL stand up legally. Believe me. And I don't believe a lot of you would bother posting here if you didn't think your poetry was important to you. And to us!!!

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:18 pm

I've heard of the postage routine Neil. I don't know of any testing of this, you could be right.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

keats

Post by keats » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:40 pm

Believe me Neville, it stands up. Imagine if Billy Kearns didn't have his Entrapment poem copyritten before it went viral on Internet emails world wide? Although it can't be stopped, he has it firmly copywritten and recorded on his CD which is also protected. Anyone could claim it. I put up one poem on the Audio section, but only because it's off a CD of mine and I have it protected. It's amazing how people will steal ideas and even entire poems these days. And all because the author didn't hit the keyboard a couple more times.

Terry

Post by Terry » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:27 pm

G/day Keats,
I know a top poet who does exactly what you're saying - haven't bothered myself though.

Terry

keats

Post by keats » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:43 pm

Yes, I also know one.That's how I know the postage method stands up legally. Might be the same poet. I hoped they may have learned their lesson, but maybe not. All the more reason to protect our material. Good onya Terry.