Members' or users' poetry?

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
keats

Re: Members' or users' poetry?

Post by keats » Mon May 30, 2011 11:53 pm

Touché el Terryodore!

Keats2

warooa

Post by warooa » Tue May 31, 2011 4:24 am

It worries me not one wit . . but Heather if we were encouraging members to wear their ABPA membership badges with pride then we would be 'tagged' as a member as we once were. I'm not precious about it at all, and as has been rightly pointed out being a paid up member does not neccessarily make one a superior poet, although one point I'd like to make is the term 'user' - it's not the nicest title is it? Even something bland like 'non-member' would be better. Or I'm sure there are some more colourful monikers . . what about 'testing-with-toe-in-the-water' . . or a sub-section for the likes of Hully and Matt who we all agree are "recalcitrant genius poets who are too tight to part with 30 bucks" :lol:

Cheers, Marty

keats

Post by keats » Tue May 31, 2011 6:12 am

Now what Marty just said is very important! We do part with $33 a year for membership, so to keep financial members, we DO require some perks on the site that are not available to non members. Or otherwise we encourage those who won't pay to stay non members and encourage members who only participate online to drop their payments because they gain nothing from it here. Doesn't matter if someone can write well. Are they willing to fork out towards the running of the site etc. What be the perks? Well that's what the discussion is about. Maybe there should be no access at all to the members poetry section and a couple of others by non members. That is ABPA members, not just those who registered free for the site. Suggestions??

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Tue May 31, 2011 8:27 am

morning all,

To add to Vic's point re: Lest We Forget. - I understood the previous method was; post poems in the general members poetry and then the webmaster would move any poems of merit, or that were approprate, to the LWF section. This section was a 'read only' and could not be commented on. This preserved, and concentrated with approprate respect, all LWF type of poetry. That way we could recommend it when we receive a request for poems to use on ANZAC day etc.

I know our current webmaster(s) are not men of leisure but it is a thought. I feel that having comments in this section distracts from the poems. (It can also lead to rambling threads) Perhaps this authority (or duty) could be intrusted to a member who is a Veteran himself eg Vic Jefferies. (If he was willing of course)
Zondrae King
a woman of words

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Tue May 31, 2011 8:55 am

That has merit Zondrae. Would be interested in other opinions on that.
Thinking to use a 'Shearing' metaphor along the lines of ...

Visitors - Roustabouts
Forum User - Shearers
ABPA Members - Gun Shearers - (or UNIONISTS - What do you reckon Ross ??? :lol: )
Moderators - Wool Classers
Admins - Wool Pressers

... Just a thought ...

Let me know what you think.

M.

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue May 31, 2011 9:10 am

Nice - I really liked that :lol: :lol: Especially the Wool Classers

Do they know what they are looking for??? Micron, Tensile strength - no 'tender' wool, length of staple, brightness, crimp, colour,% of VM (vegetable matter). Any stain or skin needs to be removed. Only the very best, highest quality wool to go into your AAAA bales :lol:
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Tue May 31, 2011 9:17 am

... Nahhh, just Dags ... :lol:

keats

Post by keats » Tue May 31, 2011 9:40 am

Na, gotta disagree for why not have an Austraia Day section and a Christmas section and a religious poetry section. Why single out a section for ANZAC poems and for no other genre? and Manfred, don't you dare put me in a bloody sheep farmers category! That's not me or what I represent. So thumbs down on those past two ideas from me. And that's with no disrespect. And only my opinion.

mummsie

Post by mummsie » Tue May 31, 2011 10:42 am

I have only been associated with this site for six weeks, so still consider myself a newcomer. At first I only ever posted in the registered user section, as I believed that was all I was entitled to, and although I regularly visited the members section, I never made comments on the poetry there as the rules clearly stated that I couldn't. Wanting to feel a bit more involved I became a member, partly to be able to participate in the members section, but also as I was interested in receiving the members mag's[Which I'm still eagerly watching the mailbox for]and for information on upcoming events. I post in both sections and enjoy the feedback I get from all members, experienced or otherwise, this is how we newbies learn, but I really don't see the need for two sections. I consider my poetry to be very amateurish alongside some of works posted on this site, but at what point does someone say "oh, your works now good enough to join the more accomplished poets''. My understanding of the ABPA site is to encourage australian poety, from all users, lets not start putting those users into separate catagories.Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Sue
Last edited by mummsie on Tue May 31, 2011 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the door is always open, the kettles always on, my shoulders here to cry on, i'll not judge who's right or wrong.

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue May 31, 2011 12:33 pm

It would seem that labelling anything these days is always going to cause some dissension, somewhere.

And trying to pigeonhole (bird hole?) anything also has similar results. Even colours get muddied - it's not easy being green, but then purples are people eaters :lol: and red considered to be hot and firy :o

Maybe alphabetical would be the way to go Mannie :?

A for arguments
B for bloody mindedness
C for Chiacking
D for Discussion
E for Eccentricities
F for finking
etc etc :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Would that work????

Oh I know - SHUT UP MAUREEN
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.