A comma

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Vic Jefferies

Re: A comma

Post by Vic Jefferies » Mon May 30, 2011 10:22 am

Stephen wrote:

Did Henry really write it like that? It's an orgy of semi-colons, really, isn't it.

I am often baffled by what seems to me to be the excessive amount of punctuation and (in some cases the different forms) used in older books, especially poetry books. In many cases I think it was probably the editor or even the printers trying to make the printed word look better for more impressive rather than the original writing of the author. Does anyone know what :- or even ;- means or meant? ( Because of the modern keyboard, the dash illustrated here is in fact wrong and should be the longer em dash.) I have just read four lines of an old poem that contains five exclamation marks where today the thinking is that exclamation marks should be used very judiciously if at all!
By the same token, I recently read a complete book of poetry, the author of which shall remain nameless, that, as far as I could tell, did not contain one comma.
A rather lengthy book too!

Vic

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Mon May 30, 2011 10:51 am

Thanks a heap Heather, and all who have contributed to this topic.

I may be able to use the 'semi' now. I was a little afraid of it before. The advice I have had here is very practical; just what I needed. I wrote two poems last night. Now I have to type them in and watch out for the punctuaion.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

keats

Post by keats » Mon May 30, 2011 11:23 am

I remember my Editor once saying, " There is no need to use punctuation!" ( although he may have added "in your articles, obviously, McArthur!" personally I think in my opinion that he just overdid his own punctuation what do you think

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon May 30, 2011 11:25 am

Stephen asked if Henry Lawson wrote with all those semi colons or not. I suspect that his publishers (Angus and Robertson) may have done the punctuation. Henry was not well educated - but then, his minimal education may have been heavily weighted in grammar - not like today.

Zondrae, some people use a dash instead of a semi colon. I think that has become the modern day equivalent. Henry Lawson has even used a dash in The Lights of Cobb and Co. where I'd have used a semi colon. Maybe he thought there was too much orgying going on hey Stephen?

What I like about semi colons, especially for poetry, is that you can be economical with words. Henry could have said something like: There was a fire lit and on the table there was a meal for sleepy men. which sounds really boring and doesn't leave much to the imagination.

By using incomplete sentences or short phrases and using a semi colon, he has used less words and painted a picture just was well, if not better. The reader can then create the picture. I love the first stanza because I used an article in my history book which describes a hotel just like this one in early Kilmore.

Below one of my poems where I used semi colons. Again, it is a collection of short phrases, which, when joined together create a picture by "showing not telling".

AND THE POPPIES DANCE
©Heather Knight 22 August 2010

The click of shears and a golden fleece;
a soldier’s gun and the wish for peace.
A young man’s pride and a father’s fears;
a lover’s plea and a mother’s tears.

A call to arms and a Nation’s sons;
the stench of death and the German guns.
The constant march as the troops advance;
an ill wind blows on the fields of France.

A photograph with a silver frame;
a gentle kiss and a whispered name.
A farmhouse gate where a small dog waits;
a shearing shed where they drink to mates.

The endless mud and the duck board path;
the shells that rain and the aftermath.
A young man’s screams and the blood congealed;
a future lost on a Flander’s field.

A table set with a place for eight;
a telegram and a soldier’s fate.
A young man’s life and a father’s fears;
a lover’s cries and a mother’s tears.

The rows of graves in a foreign land;
the marching men and the marching band.
The sons that sleep in the soil of France;
a cold wind blows and the poppies dance.

A photograph with a silver frame;
a silent tear and a whispered name.

keats

Post by keats » Mon May 30, 2011 11:53 am

Needs a semi-colonoscopy. I'll send the results later, Heather. (exuse my comma)

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Mon May 30, 2011 3:37 pm

I am reminded of a friend of mine who was studying law at University about thirty years and ago who showed me one of his completed assignments. There was barely a full stop or comma used in the several pages of his paper let alone any other punctuation. The first page was comprised entirely of one very, very long sentence that in reality should have been written as at least three paragraphs.
When I suggested he rewrite the paper to restructure it and include some punctuation he told me it was not required by the lecturer and was considered old hat.
"As long as I convince him that I know what I am talking about and give him the type of answer he requires (that is politically) I will pass." Hrmmmmmmpf!

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Mon May 30, 2011 6:05 pm

Must have been asleep ! Did someone mention an orgy and a colonoscopy in the same breath.

The mind boggles.

:o :shock: :roll: :lol:

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Tue May 31, 2011 8:35 am

UUmm,
Is there a way to stop a thread? Or once begun must it roll on forever?

I originally asked about a comma, then a semi colon, but now we have other nasties coming into play. While Keats and Heather are thumpng the table I will remain seated; :o if you don't mind. :lol:
(No comments on the use of either the comma or the semi colon in the above, please)
Zondrae King
a woman of words

keats

Post by keats » Tue May 31, 2011 10:07 am

Agreed Zondrae. My semi-colonoscopy comment was in reference to the fact that I was going to scan Heather's works for any that were not necessary. My other comment, re my old editor was in reference to poor use of punctuation. Where it went from there to where it did, Lord knows. I think a week in the sin bin for Bob and ban Heather for posting whatsoever for 24 hours. That will teach them.

fullstop.comma.au

Peely

Post by Peely » Tue May 31, 2011 10:32 am

G'day Zondrae

As a moderator, you should have access to the "lock topic" feature, if you feel that all that needs to be said in a thread is said. It is in the quick tools at the bottom of the page.

Regards

John Peel
John Peel - The Man from Gilmore Creek