Question for David Campbell about parodies.

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Zondrae

Re: Question for David Campbell about parodies.

Post by Zondrae » Thu May 26, 2011 7:34 pm

G'day Neil,
wwwwoooohh, After that I think I will go back to calling you Mr Keats. I'm impressed that you even know that this matter is being discussed.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Thu May 26, 2011 7:50 pm

Neville

It's an interesting question, and I can't give a definitive answer. I entered a parody in a written competition and it was criticised...the judge said it would be more suited to performance. So I tend not to submit parodies to ABPA competitions, although Stephen's experience shows that they can win awards. This is probably where Zondrae's comment about the 'whim' of a judge comes in, although perhaps 'bias' would be a better word. As indicated elsewhere, I have my own areas of bias when it comes to judging. I love a good parody, but some people simply loathe them and, even if the ABPA instructed its judges that parodies did not infringe copyright, there are probably those who wouldn't change their mind.

To give a different example: a recent comment from a judge on an entry of mine was: "When you use a conjunction ('but' or 'and') you do not need a comma." This is simply wrong, and I could point to any number of poets from Keats (the real one) and Wordsworth to Lawson to show that it's wrong. A comma indicates a pause to the reader, and it's perfectly acceptable to follow it with a conjunction if appropriate (as I've just done). But this judge has a bias for some reason, and probably won't change his/her mind.

Then, of course, some things are very hard to pin down. At what point does a parody overstep the mark by using too much of the original? I don't know how to define that, and I'd be interested to hear from anyone who does. It is, as Neil says, a grey area. Best I can do by way of an answer. Sorry.

David

keats

Post by keats » Thu May 26, 2011 10:57 pm

Agreed all. Pretty much put that link up to show how ridiculously technical it allows. Did you read it all Neville? Bloody hell, I fell asleep halfway through the heading! Personally I love a well written parody and as David touched on, as long as you arn not using most of the original words, I don't see a problem. Of course there are some terrible parodies out there and if I was judging they simply wouldn't get a good score because of their quality of idea and structure. But I read something like David's 'Clancy Of The Overthrow' and think, how good was that!!!!! Loved it and if I was judging it, it would be a winner! So how do we ever get a consistent decision on parodies from judges? I have no idea. But in performance, looking at what Northy did with The Man From Snowy River says it all.

Hope everybody who read that link don't have legal nightmares! lol

Sleep
Well

Neil

keats

Post by keats » Thu May 26, 2011 10:59 pm

Ps please exuse my spelling. Typing on an iPhone in a freezing motel room is the greatest challenge since trying to learn a Ray Essery poem! And he's in the same bloody room!!!!!

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Fri May 27, 2011 5:10 am

keats wrote:Ps please exuse my spelling. Typing on an iPhone in a freezing motel room is the greatest challenge since trying to learn a Ray Essery poem! And he's in the same bloody room!!!!!
You and Essery sharing a room??? .... WAY TOO MUCH INFORMATION!!!!

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Fri May 27, 2011 6:07 am

Spot on I feel that if the story is different from the original even though it uses the same theme it should be considered a seperate work and be allowed.

Bob

I got through all the legal jargon but I have better uses for the remaining brain cells.

Never met Ray Neil but I hope you are both warm. Never trust a Dairy farmer.
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Fri May 27, 2011 6:16 am

Why do you say that Bob? I would think they would be udderly respectable.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Fri May 27, 2011 7:44 am

Cold hands and milk in bags need I say more.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Leonie

Post by Leonie » Fri May 27, 2011 9:06 am

zondrae wrote:I think it was Leonie Parker who said she felt there were no 'new' subjects to address in her writing. I wonder if she still feels like this? Leonie?
The way I see it a good writer can always find a new angle to approach an old topic. For example, if I said write a poem about the moon I bet I would receive a dozen different styles and rhyming pattens. And as for the adjectives, English has myriad choices.
Hi Zondrae, yes I do still feel like that but like you I think putting a new angle on an old theme is fine and is what most of us do anyway. There wouldn't be too many stories that haven't already been told but telling them in a new way is the trick. I would have thought parodies (which I love) would be a good example of that and it surprises me that any judge would throw them out as not being original. Some of them are very clever.

Although not poetry one of my favourites is the old political correctness parody of Old Man River.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLlTlYfqQV4

This is the sort of thing I mean when I say there is nothing 'new'. This was done in 1957 and we still write poems (and tell jokes) about political correctness today. I've certainly written the odd one.

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Fri May 27, 2011 10:10 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Would have to strangle Mr Tweedley though...Thank you for sharing this Leonie and yes I know I'm welcome for sure :lol:
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.