Question for David Campbell about parodies.

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Terry

Re: Question for David Campbell about parodies.

Post by Terry » Fri May 27, 2011 11:24 am

Getting back to the original question it seems that entering Parodies in ABPA comps can be fraught with danger, probably best not to unless you like living dangerously.
There are a number of differing opinions among judges and if all us non judges started judging (heaven forbid) we would have our own like and dislikes as well. Like David I have been pulled up over the use of a comma with an 'AND' (I got the same message) and felt quite miffed because I wanted a definite pause there, the judge must have felt an 'And' signified a definite pause or in his-her opinion there didn't need to be one.

Terry

Leonie

Post by Leonie » Fri May 27, 2011 11:56 am

I know what you mean Terry. I have been pinged for the misplacement of a comma as well, amongst other punctuation mistakes. One of which was not using a question mark at the end of a sentence that I didn't consider to be a question anyway, but in hindsight could see that it probably was. :) Judges have their own little idiosyncrasies, just like the rest of us and so be it. It just surprised me about the parody thing that's all. I would never in a million years have thought that rewriting something as a parody would be considered unoriginal until Neville mentioned it. You learn something new every day, especially on here. :lol:

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Fri May 27, 2011 2:44 pm

Yes Neil, I did read all of that link that you provided. When I first started it, I thought that I had been wrong and would have to recant, so I thought I had better read it all to make sure whether I was right or wrong. Having read it, I thought that I was not wrong to think I was right, but rightly wrong to assume that I was wrong when I could have been rightly assumed to be right unless of course it could be said that I was wrong. In that end I was right to think that I was perhaps not wrong on those things that need to be right, right ? :ugeek:

One thing I did learn from that post was that Greg North's rendition of "The Man from Snowy River" using different voices, is not a parody but a satire. Jim Haynes " The Chook from Snowy River " is a parody. And this difference is meaningful.

Thanks for the reply David, I was interested in your experience about the comma. hmmm.
I think the main problem, if there was any problem with parodies, would be using contemporary work for parody and thus impinging on our fellow bush poets work. All the parodies that I have heard relate to very old poetry of authors long gone, so I think no one is worried about it.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

keats

Post by keats » Fri May 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Well picked up Neville. Greg's I's satire not parody. My mistake. And for the record though, Jim Haynes didNOT write the the chook from snowy river, it was written by Martin Pearson. No parody, no satire, just a lack of crediting the actual writer. This is a fact and not up for argument. But again the whole situation of entering parodies in a written comp just goes back to the age old argument of who judges the judges? Have a look at the ABPA list of credited judges. Would you like to be judged by half of them? I surely wouldn't! But if that's all we have then good luck to all. No wonder our comps are in the biggest state of disarray since I started in the game in the early '90s!

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sat May 28, 2011 9:20 am

I stand corrected Neil. Chook from Snowy River is a parody written by Martin Pearson, performed by Jim Haynes.

I only know two or three of the judges. It's a great pity if the competitions are, as you say in disarray,
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.