The Spoken Word in Bush Poetry

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Catherine Lee

Re: The Spoken Word in Bush Poetry

Post by Catherine Lee » Mon May 13, 2024 1:23 pm

Fascinating, Gary. I am looking him up right now....have only found about four poems but this is the first stanza of one that brought back memories :

I have gazed on sweet Killarney, that Eden of the West,
And beauty spots in other lands, where the weary love to rest,
And all this scenic beauty fond memories recalls,
But my thoughts will always linger on the lovely Barron Falls.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Wed May 15, 2024 6:04 am

That is a good poem find Catherine!
I am presuming that it is The Barron Falls near Cairns, Queensland that brings back memories for you, rather than the places in Ireland? You might have a picture of the Falls? Thank you for helping this post series along... constantly supporting it.

"When mind and limbs are weary I seem to hear the call :
Come back again to Cairns and the lovely Barron Falls.
"

(from The Barron Falls.....noting perhaps that this is an imperfect rhyme)

Late last week I managed to pick up this 1917 (dainty tied wrappers) copy of Doreen by C. J. Dennis. It is not a rare book, however finding a copy in such excellent clean condition, likely the cleanest copy internally that I have and being more than 100 years old, is unusual. So for the price of $20, I just could not find it in my heart to leave it, even if I already have three copies. It is .. dinky??

Our C J Dennis exhibit at The Australian Cultural Centre Project is superb, having evolved over a number of years. It is the only place where one can find such a fabulous and visually exciting tribute to him. Enshrining.. one of my favourite words!

So instead of school kids saying "Who is C J Dennis?" they will say "I recall seeing an exhibition about him somewhere. He was a good writer".

And so it should be too!!! No country should turn its back on its great literary sons.. or try and destroy their brilliant work by deliberately neglecting it!!! We have chosen instead to make sure that does not happen.

Den had so many touching pearls of wisdom tucked away in his verses. Here in Washing Day (below pic) he talks about Women..

"An' then they're all so different, yeh find, before yeh've done,
The more yeh know 'uv all of 'em, the less yeh know uv one."

Taking his vernacular writing (which is perhaps laborious to read, and should one day be translated for more universal appreciation) to the level of "the man or woman in the street" is the challenge. Thanks again Catherine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Catherine Lee

Post by Catherine Lee » Wed May 15, 2024 8:30 pm

No, you couldn't possibly have passed this one up, Gary! Love the two lines from Washing Day too!...

AYes, my memory was of the Barron Falls in Cairns...but since I'm a total tech dummy I can't work out how to post it here - probably just as well, ha!

Congrats on another fabulous find!

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Sun May 19, 2024 12:47 pm

Thank you Catherine and Yes you are right.. it was good to obtain it and it's a useful addition.

I actually find myself drawn towards Banjo Paterson. :) Trying to bring him and his writing to life for everyone in unique ways.

Anyway, here is a small story about Paterson. I will try my best to make it interesting and brief.

Banjo Paterson wrote The Animals Noah Forgot (published 1933) and, as previously mentioned, The Australian Cultural Centre (Project) has a lovely display about this particular children's book.

However, there was also:

The Animal Banjo Forgot

This animal was the Koala... or "Native Bear" and it was omitted (I would say accidentally overlooked) from his compendium of other Australian animals. Recently a book was sold for A$2,200 all up and it had an interesting relevant inscription by Paterson on a heavily discoloured page. (see below) That book is of no practical use to us as it is hard to read and could thus never be usefully put on display.

Here Banjo (Christmas, 1932) seems to offer a spontaneous verse about the koala by way of atonement for his forgetfulness. All this while his work for the book was being finally submitted to the printer.

It was claimed to be an unpublished verse, so the only place that you will get to see it (for now at least) is right here... considering that it has presumably vanished onto the dusty shelf of some anonymous but nevertheless fortunate collector (I suspect) .. or worse, a government library.

Said the native bear, I'm of royal blood,
For mine are the folk that survived the flood.
"How did they manage their lives to spare?"
"Oh, they climbed a tree," said the native bear.

On the end-paper opposite is an inscription in Banjo's own hand :

"To Andrew Taylor with best wishes of his uncle and Aunt, A B and Alice Paterson, Christmas 1932"

Andrew (it is claimed) later served in WW2 in the RAAF as a fighter pilot in the Battle Of Britain and reportedly earned a DFC. I have not verified this fact/claim.

Also from what I can deduce, this sold book came from the collection of Tony Windsor who was a well known MP and had a connection to Andrew Taylor, Banjo's nephew. A politician, who is still alive as I type.

Also, Tony was apparently at some stage The Patron of the Australian Bush Poets Association. Why he is not so now I don't know, unless he still is of course ... in which case I have had no contact with him. So perhaps this was some time ago?

My real interest is in the four lines of unpublished verse.

This has provided material for a lovely display for others to enjoy.

I got what I wanted; those precious four lines to supplement a display. The Collector can enjoy having his book... while we will instead Present the lines it contains for everyone to enjoy. Bringing Paterson to the public en masse is our game.

So... that is The Animal Banjo Forgot!

There is other information associated with this book but that is enough. :) :)

Gary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Mon May 20, 2024 3:35 pm

For those who may have missed it, I might note here the passing of Frank Ifield peacefully at age 86.

Frank was a friend to us and supplied some of his own personal material in order to assist in making a big and impressive Waltzing Matilda display that uniquely has soul and heart... and is not just an exercise in graphic art.

Now we have the best display on this subject anywhere!!! with thanks to Frank Ifield.

The idea occurred to present him as MR WALTZING MATILDA which we have done.

It is devastating to know that Frank is no longer with us. So much of what we did was done thinking "Frank will love to see this"
And now he is gone.....

It is personally devastating.. and I rarely cry but this has caused it.

In a world where some people turn their backs on The Australian Cultural Centre cynically while at the same time waving flags and professing their love of Australia in speeches, the truly great Frank Ifield embraced us and stood head and shoulders as a Man over the rest. That is what makes the man after all... what you do to HELP.

That's all.

It is just so sad that he is no longer here. I cannot believe it. A huge loss to Australia.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Sun May 26, 2024 7:21 am

There are Collectors of all sorts of things.

There was a bloke who used to cruise the garage sales too and he collected Dean Martin stuff... I mean.. Dean Martin???!!

He wouldn't mess around. He would ask the seller if he had any records etc, and if the answer was NO, as it almost invariably was, off he would go to the next place. Then suddenly he stopping appearing, so perhaps he got all there was to get in the world? Collecting can become an obsession...an obsessive compulsive disorder (and governments have these)....and in some areas an expensive one.

I notice the market generally for Banjo Paterson material is very strong.

Here is a very first edition of The Man From Snowy River, signed by Paterson. It recently sold for A$8,400 all up.

I suspect the well-heeled devoted Buyer of this book would have paid more, well let's say just for argument's sake A$16,000.

So what is the "valuation" ?? $8,400 or $16,000. The answer may be to say "$8,400, at least".

Banjo's actual words are the dominating thing.... being a cultural centre and not a museum or library... we aim for an exhibit centered around that aspect which is enhanced with (hopefully) a signed something and other trimmings like portraits.

In the end it is a balance. You have to really interest people, and not bore them.

Anyway, one might be pleased if there is a signed Paterson first edition in one's bookcase somewhere gathering dust?
From the above indicative sale, it is clearly worth significant money.. but better still I think, it has sentimental value if you love Banjo Paterson and that is especially good. :)

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Sun May 26, 2024 8:22 pm

I like books with touching old inscriptions and this particular copy of Backblock Ballads by C J Dennis caught my attention, although I did not end up buying it.

The Ian McFarlane Bookplate (sketched by Lionel Lindsay in 1943) sadly appears to cover the first part of the inscription. It was pasted in more than 24 years later. However the simplicity and sincerity of the rest I thought was terrific.

Thy heart's wish, wish I thee (Dec 10th, 1919)

What more sincere and moving words could one inscribe to someone significant? I thought it was worth reproducing here.

Gary

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Fri Jun 07, 2024 5:13 pm

History and culture often overlap.

So when this scarce 1932, 78rpm shellac record "Phar Lap - Farewell To You" (Jack Lumsdaine) appeared a while ago I could not resist buying it for the Collection.

It is in Mint condition... not a scratch. A rarity surely for a 78?

I was inspired by an item that was sold at a past auction. (see picture) It was in a damaged frame with no explanation of the 78-record or who Phar Lap was. Really pretty rough!! .. but then the idea was still basically good.

The plan now is to present Phar Lap similarly but with the right placards of explanation and poor old Phar Lap having a much nicer picture too.

Superb quality, in landscape... as only we can do it.

What makes Phar Lap an Australian Cultural subject is :

A passionate song was produced (1932)
There are ballad poems about Phar Lap (of dubious quality)
A film about him was made. (1983)

I recall seeing the following exchange in an interview/documentary featuring Tommy Woodcock, Phar Lap's trainer

Q : Whaddaya think of Phar Lap, Tommy?
Tommy Woodcock : Phar Lap? 'e was a good 'orse.

He certainly was.

So Phar Lap rides again .. this time at the incredible Australian Cultural Centre where you can be proud of all that Australia has achieved.

Good family entertainment and education.

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:26 am

Hi Gary

I've enjoyed catching up on your latest acquisitions - some really rare treasures!

I too was very saddened by the passing of Frank Ifield - I didn't know him personally but remember his music well from my youth. Classic songs.

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:32 pm

Thank you Shelley and my best wishes for Rod's speedy recovery.

The Mucky Duck Bush Band and Moondyne Joe

"Joseph Bolitho Johns (c. February 1826 – 13 August 1900), better known as Moondyne Joe, was an English convict and Western Australia's best-known bushranger. Born into poor and relatively difficult circumstances, he became something of a petty criminal robber with a strong sense of self-determination"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moondyne_Joe

He is a fascinating character. Joe's notoriety at the time was based on being an escapologist. It was claimed at the time that no prison could hold him. Songs were made up mocking the authorities.

Joe seems to have been "discovered" again by folkies more in recent years, maybe as a follow-on to Ned. He seems to have a lesser propensity towards violence.

The Mucky Duck Bush Band were around when I was playing in The Shearer's Tally.

This bush band produced in 1982 a wonderful exposition of Moondyne Joe both in music and as a commensurate Musical which chronicles his remarkable life. Also on their LP (At Last The Mucky Duck Album) there is the song Moondyne Joe included.

I am still in touch occasionally via Facebook with Roger Montgomery who was a member of Mucky Duck then and wrote many of the lyrics.

I am privileged to have in The Collection the script/musical book for Moondyne Joe as well as the cassette of the associated music, gathered separately over time. (Pictured below)
On the cover is a picture of a cardboard cut-out being discovered by an astonished jailer... while presumably Joe has escaped yet again!

To have both items, cassette and script, is wonderful and fairly rare I would think. Just delighted!! What great work by this band and it deserves never to be forgotten. Who knows whether it (or the vast number of other such important Australian cultural things that we struggle to preserve) will be or not.

Anyway, I hope it is all interesting. Gary